Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #6,376 of 6,973
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #6,377 of 6,973
First units of the Envy 25 Anniversary in the making!.

IMG_7904.jpeg

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #6,378 of 6,973
Hi - just trying to summarise the ‘preferred’ tube choices for the Envy:

Driver Tubes
- Mullard 6SN7: preferred, not easy to find
Are the 1940’s version better?

- Brimar 6SN7: preferred, lots around
- Brimar CV6: preferred by some, Using dual tube adaptors, plenty around and cheap
- RCA
- PS Vanes: PE Ed stock
- PS Vsnes: Std Ed stock

- others: recommended?

Power Tubes
- WE: preferred
- Elrog: preferred
- Elrog MO: preferred but expensive
- Elrog TM: preferred, like gold dust and super expensive
- Takatsuki: preferred, expensive
- Full Music: PE Ed stock
- EM: Std Ed stock

In addition are there preferred combo’s as well combo’s that don’t work well together?

I have the PE and atm I am running Mullard 6SN7 (1956) & PS Vanes 300b.

I ran the PS Vanes 300b with PS Vanes stock Driver tubes and I much preferred them than the stock Full Music 300b. Changing the PS Vanes driver tubes to Mullards gives the sound a delicacy and softness.

I should be getting the WE’s soon - so I am looking forward to hearing the difference. Also hoping I don’t suffer the same quality issues that some people have had recently.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #6,379 of 6,973

Driver Tubes

- Brimar CV6: preferred by some, Using dual tube adaptors, plenty around and cheap
- RCA

Power Tubes

In addition are there preferred combo’s as well combo’s that don’t work well together?

I ran the PS Vanes 300b with PS Vanes stock Driver tubes and I much preferred them than the stock Full Music 300b. Changing the PS Vanes driver tubes to Mullards gives the sound a delicacy and softness.

I should be getting the WE’s soon - so I am looking forward to hearing the difference. Also hoping I don’t suffer the same quality issues that some people have had recently.
Can I just ask you to clarify what quality issues you are referring to please?

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #6,380 of 6,973

Driver Tubes

- RCA

Power Tubes

You’re forgetting about the DAC and transducers and your preferred tonality at least with driver tube preference

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #6,382 of 6,973
You’re forgetting about the DAC and transducers and your preferred tonality at least with driver tube preference
Sure - I was just trying to minimise the list of items. The comment about preferred is from reading these pages and what people have commented as their preferred tubes. They are not mine - apart from the bit at the bottom.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #6,383 of 6,973

Driver Tubes

- RCA

Power Tubes

A couple additions to the list.

6SN7

RCA 5692 Red Base; you mentioned RCA but not the 5692 version.
Melz 1578

12AU7- must purchase 6SN7 to 12AU7 adapter

Telefunken G73r
1950s-1960s era Mullard ECC82
Brimar CV4003
Mullard CV4003-rare and hard to find

Combinations

A lot of users prefer Elrog ER, MO, TM with Melz 1578 drivers
WE300B with Brimar CV1988 drivers
WE300B with Melz 1578 drivers
WE300B with RCA 5692 red base drivers
WE300B with Telefunken G73r drivers

I personally like Sophia Electric 300B with Telefunken G73r, 1960s Mullard ECC82, Brimar CV4003, Brimar CV1988, and RCA 5692 red base drivers.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #6,384 of 6,973
Just the ones referred to by recent new owners - lose glass in tubes etc.
Be careful how you present these issues, this is how false rumours start. My issue was totally and utterly, with 99.9% certainty 🤔, caused by trans-shipment mis-handling by UPS. There is no way the tubes I received passed through WE’s quality control in that state. Somewhere between LyrIc Audio in Spain and me in Germany the tubes were subjected to a short, sharp, shock, and some of the glass inside the tubes was smashed. Please do not refer to my experience as a ‘quality issue’, unless the quality issue you refer to is specified as that provided by UPS the carrier. Do I make myself clear?

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #6,385 of 6,973
These 6SN7 substitutions which are drop in replacements with no adapter needed:
RCA or CBS/Hytron 5692
Mullard ECC33
Melz 1578

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #6,386 of 6,973
TungSol Black Round Plate are awesome, so are Brimar CV1988, both very expensive and rare though.
Sadly there is not much in terms of new productions, i really like the PSvane Globes nowadays.
We need one or two very good new production 6SN7 tubes...

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #6,388 of 6,973
Very curious to read detailed A/B with Envy PE and same set of tubes, like what changes to expect exactly. Talked with few people who heard it during recent fairs, and consensus is rather mixed if there is any improvement over OG Envy when you use the same set of tubes.
I saw the new version at canjam and it was beautiful..that said I didnt listen to it but would be surprised if there is a dramatic difference if using upgraded tubes on both...the envy is already so damn good

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #6,390 of 6,973
It's on the Feliks Audio Facebook page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back