Feliks Audio ENVY
May 15, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #6,961 of 7,085
Check again, is there really no difference at all when you switch from low gain to high gain when not playing music?
I can only notice a very minor difference when switching back and forth.

HMMMMM...
If that's the case i might upgrade to the PE... GODDAMNIT...

Will let you know tomorrow. But really those might the tubes? Do you have any sources interference near your amp? Like phones? Since that was the only time I had slight hum on high gain with Envy. Really doubt there is any meaningful difference between OG and PE tbh

May 15, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #6,962 of 7,085
Ok, so with the new production PSVane Globes the difference is also there, but it's incredibly small. So small that i might imagining it. Like, you only hear the noisefloor on medium / high gain when switching between them and low and you focus very hard on the black background. A normal person would clearly state "i hear nothing". But we all know that we audiophiles are not normal persons.
That means that the Melz are not as silent as i thought, only very very quiet, but not super dead silent.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #6,963 of 7,085
Trying right now with Susvara - when no music is playing, its like the amp is off, its dead silent. The background remains pitch black when the music plays. Changing gain doesnt affect it in any way.

May 15, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #6,964 of 7,085
Trying right now with Susvara - when no music is playing, its like the amp is off, its dead silent. The background remains pitch black when the music plays. Changing gain doesnt affect it in any way.
Well the Susvara is very insensitive, wouldn't expect any noise no matter the gain setting or volume knob position.

May 15, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #6,966 of 7,085
Well the Susvara is very insensitive, wouldn't expect any noise no matter the gain setting or volume knob position.
Just tried with Verite Open and Atrium - zero hum.

May 15, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #6,967 of 7,085
Just installed my new Feliks an hour ago. Now I understand what you guys are talking about... Oh my God!
I've integrated the amp in my speaker system, using an MSB Premier DAC and Dragon AQ XLR and Power Chord. This is just RIDICULOUS! I just found out that I never really listened to my Abyss properly. This is a different game, totally.

1000010828.jpg

I can't even imagine how a WE300b can improve on this, seriously.

May 15, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #6,968 of 7,085
Just installed my new Feliks an hour ago. Now I understand what you guys are talking about... Oh my God!
I've integrated the amp in my speaker system, using an MSB Premier DAC and Dragon AQ XLR and Power Chord. This is just RIDICULOUS! I just found out that I never really listened to my Abyss properly. This is a different game, totally.

1000010828.jpg

You are in for a ride. Replacing the driver tubes will be the next big jump. Remember to register your WE300b for extended warranty =)

May 15, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #6,969 of 7,085
it can..and or the elrog er300

May 15, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #6,970 of 7,085
If the 1266 is your main driver, you just need the Western Electric 300B's. They are just sublime with the TC. They transform the headphone into one that has a wonderful midrange which i thought wasn't possible. I prefer the 1266 with the WE's over the Susvara with Elrog MO's. Mostly. Often. Sometimes. Well, in the end it's very hard to decide, they are completely different...

May 15, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #6,971 of 7,085
May 15, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #6,972 of 7,085
If the 1266 is your main driver, you just need the Western Electric 300B's. They are just sublime with the TC. They transform the headphone into one that has a wonderful midrange which i thought wasn't possible. I prefer the 1266 with the WE's over the Susvara with Elrog MO's. Mostly. Often. Sometimes. Well, in the end it's very hard to decide, they are completely different...
You guys are such bad influence in this forum :$

May 16, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #6,973 of 7,085
Also try attenuating volume with the DAC to allow envy to run from 11 o'clock up. Might be transducer dependant but when I'm using Storm I find Envy is on full song after 11 (11-2 is great to my ears) with the Bricasti dropped 30dB.

Look forward to hearing your Immanis impressions when they arrive!

May 16, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #6,974 of 7,085
Just followed your advice and pulled the trigger on the WE 300b. I barely had time to get used to the stock tube, but who cares :)
What should I expect in terms of critical differences btw Fullmusic and the WE? Especially in the bass and mid areas (and soundstage as well).
Also try attenuating volume with the DAC to allow envy to run from 11 o'clock up. Might be transducer dependant but when I'm using Storm I find Envy is on full song after 11 (11-2 is great to my ears) with the Bricasti dropped 30dB.

Look forward to hearing your Immanis impressions when they arrive!
Tried to use the volume control in the DAC but I feel that line out with fixed volume without using the DAC preamp produces a more satisfying sound, with more body. I am not sure of how much the pre-amp section is impacting in the sound signature bit apparently it's happening. I guess I will keep volume control in the amp only for now. But thanks for the advice anyway.

May 16, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #6,975 of 7,085
When I contacted Thomas about TM availability back in February he said it will not happen soon because he is busy with developing a new tube type. But he did not reveal what type of tube it will be.

In Munnich it was visible and listenable.
20240512_113725_HDR.jpg
Direct heated, cylindrical, beautiful.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) not compatible with 300B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back