Feliks Audio ENVY
Apr 12, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #6,424 of 6,748
Are there any new manufacturing of driver tubes for Envy or are all driver tubes NOS??
The PSVANE CV-181-T-MII that come stock are NRW production tubes.

Linlai E-6SN7 Elite are new production

S4A 6SN7 are new production

Apos Ray 6SN7 Reserve (potentially just a especially well measuring PSVANE CV-181-T-MII)

Those are the ones worth checking out among new production stuff that I'm aware of.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #6,425 of 6,748

Apos Ray 6SN7 Reserve (potentially just a especially well measuring PSVANE CV-181-T-MII)

Those are the ones worth checking out among new production stuff that I'm aware of.
Why were the CV-181 tubes used for the Envy AE if there are better NOS driver tubes out there?

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #6,426 of 6,748
Why were the CV-181 tubes used for the Envy AE if there are better NOS driver tubes out there?
A manufacturer has to secure a huge supply of tubes for his amplifiers for years to come. Usually that means that NOS is out of the question since the supply is too limited, especially when we're talking about about the few that are upgrades to the CV-181-T-MII which is really good already.

Why the AE comes without NOS tubes is a different question though, they only have to supply tubes for 25 units and some Reserve

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #6,427 of 6,748
You also have to make sure these tubes are:
- Completely non-microphonic
- Won't fail after at least 20k hours
- Have a good synergy with the Elrogs
- Have some more as a backup for warranty purposes
- Each pair has to be perfectly matched
- They need to be visually good looking and not dirty / with half-ass lettering since that's another important thing for a lot of people
- Tubes that need adapters / external current supply are out of the question anyway

They would need to find a big stock of tubes that all perform with those criteria in mind.
I can fully understand why they just stuck with the PSvanes. There are just not clearly better 6SN7's that are new production.

It seems that i can get a pair of Melz 1578 for a good price (under 500€) in ~2 weeks, so i'm less sad that my globes failed.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #6,428 of 6,748

I forgot to mention the S4A. I have them and they are very good, for current production tubes.

Apr 12, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #6,429 of 6,748
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #6,430 of 6,748
I settled on the RCA 6SN7GT/GTB black plate from tubedepot. I assume these are plug and play with the Envy? Also there are add-ons for the tubes and I'm not sure if I should pay extra for the balanced triodes and high gain.

Balanced triodes
High gain
Low noise and microphonics
Matching

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #6,431 of 6,748
I settled on the RCA 6SN7GT/GTB black plate from tubedepot. I assume these are plug and play with the Envy? Also there are add-ons for the tubes and I'm not sure if I should pay extra for the balanced triodes and high gain.

Balanced triodes
High gain
Low noise and microphonics
Matching
I tend to go with low noise and microphonics although not as critical for driver tubes. I also recommend matched pairs.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #6,432 of 6,748
Quick feedback to my RCA Grey Glas 1941 vs Stock Psvane paired with WE300b.

Compared both rather excessivly past 2 weeks with different HPs.

For Susvara I definitly prefer stock Psavane tubes when paired with WE300b. Grey Glas add a bit of clarity, detail and attack, but ultimately take something away from the mids, the sound is much less thick and tubey with on Susvara with them, there is less body, which ultimately makes them a no go for me. I felt that the layering took a hit too with Grey RCA.

For Atrium and Verite Open they work very well, with stock Psvane the sounds is bit more muddy and thick which isnt really needed considering the ZMF tuning, Grey Glas RCA help to clean up the sound and do add bit more detail and punch.

Its all about synergy I guess. What me makes me wonder what would be the proper upgrade from Psvane for Susvara, so the thick full bodied sound could be maintained, adding better technicalities like resolution, and better layering.

Currently I have this Fivre 6SN7GT incoming, very curious how they perform and open to other suggestions.

1713086455815.png

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #6,434 of 6,748
On my system I think the Brimar CV1988 6SN7 accomplishes what you're looking for over the stock PSvanes. If you're willing to use adapters, the Telefunken G73r and 1960s Mullard ECC82 12AU7 are excellent upgrades as well. I have the RCA 5692 Red Base 6SN7s that I only have about a week on and the verdict is still out on them. They definitely add more clarity and detail than the PSVanes but seem to be missing something in the top end.

Since you like the PSVanes, you will probably like the Apos Audio Reserve 6SN7s which are purportedly rebranded PSVanes but the best out of what is available. Might not be a major step up though.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #6,435 of 6,748

Users who are viewing this thread

Back