Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Oct 13, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #226 of 3,428

searched for a pig from the web... so this is the fuss...:p

And here they are gracing my LDMKIV SE (with my own-made adapters, lol)  
tongue.gif
...ps. minus their metal cases!(As in your pic).

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #231 of 3,428

I rather like them in their metal cases. :)

Aaw, g, should we not display fully the genius's work of art, lol?!...Tantamount to putting a fire screen in front of the Mona Lisa!!!...
wink_face.gif

They are on there as a shield to reduce hum and noise pickup. And are grounded through
the center pin. Don't you think the engineers put them on for a reason.
Why remove them ? Is this about sound or looks?

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #232 of 3,428

They are on there as a shield to reduce hum and noise pickup. And are grounded through

I hear you 2359glenn...for me it's about BOTH! All I have ever had in the background is DEATHLY SILENCE...Obviously a lot depends on factors in the vicinity - electrical equipment, wireless equipment, cable/mains quality etc. etc.(not to mention the quality of the amp itself!). Some people do seem to suffer more than others, so perhaps the unsheathed option is not for everyone but I'm sure I'm not the only one who can manage to provide as optimum an environment as possible...and have the best of both worlds?!...
wink_face.gif

And perhaps the engineers' reason was that the original purpose of these tubes would have placed them in less-than-optimal conditions?...

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #233 of 3,428

I hear you 2359glenn...for me it's about BOTH! All I have ever had in the background is DEATHLY SILENCE...Obviously a lot depends on factors in the vicinity - electrical equipment, wireless equipment, cable/mains quality etc. etc.(not to mention the quality of the amp itself!). Some people do seem to suffer more than others, so perhaps the unsheathed option is not for everyone but I'm sure I'm not the only one who can manage to provide as optimum an environment as possible...and have the best of both worlds?!...
wink_face.gif

And perhaps the engineers' reason was that the original purpose of these tubes would have placed them in less-than-optimal conditions?...

The original purpose was for the telephone company.  Such good tubes to amplify such a crappy signal.
But meant for perfection and long life.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #240 of 3,428
those are my mouthwash...  

....was dreaming. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back