FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #721 of 5,204
Oh btw, how exactly do you tune BA drivers? The S8F/Pro are using the same drivers right but how come their tuning is different? Is it the design of the shell or tubes or is it in the electronics

Mar 24, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #722 of 5,204
Oh btw, how exactly do you tune BA drivers? The S8F/Pro are using the same drivers right but how come their tuning is different? Is it the design of the shell or tubes or is it in the electronics
from this very in-depth source, it seems that BAs can be tuned by changing "membrane tuning holes", nozzle filters, in-tube damping filters, and effective internal volume, as well as properties of the armature itself like mass, stiffness, diaphragm placement, size, et c... but that's what distinguishes drivers from each other, and your question is how they're tuned differently for a given model. for that, it says:

Just before a BA receiver is completely assembled, one last chance for fine tuning exists to make variants of that particular model. An acoustic filter can be placed within the nozzle, which generally reduces the the amplitude of the first peak. Very small holes can be punched into the diaphragm suspension membrane (with a laser), which reduces the second peak and bass response. Or a combination of both may be employed.

As if this subject isn't difficult enough, it gets worse when we consider actually using these devices in an IEM. The tubing that goes from the receiver nozzle to the exit port on the ear tip will have effects on the frequency response delivered. Overall length and diameter of the tube will change the sonic profile, as will a variety of acoustic tuning filters and their position within the tube.

Multiple drivers and cross-over networks can also be used to sculpt frequency response in ways not available to a single driver. Let's take a look.

They go into more detail that you can check out in the article. But the takeaway is:

Tubing length:

upload_2019-3-24_2-26-7.png

Tubing diameter (1.91mm dashed, 1.35mm solid, since it's hard to see. I'd also like to note that that's an area fraction of 2.00—i.e., the air in the thick tube, while being pushed around by the drivers, has twice as much area to move through, which is why the difference is so big. I assume that the diameter choices here are not arbitrary, given the very precise area fraction):

upload_2019-3-24_2-29-7.png

In-tube damping filters:

upload_2019-3-24_2-29-46.png

Damping receiver placement:

upload_2019-3-24_2-30-19.png

Multi-driver tuning (simplified picture; no electronic crossover is shown):

upload_2019-3-24_2-31-43.png

That's about it; I found it very informative! FWIW, the ACME8 has 8 drivers doing the above job, but introduces an additional physical low-pass filter via the sharp-edged labyrinth, in addition to the standard "BAs roll off on their own" physical attenuation (shown above) and electronic lowpass/highpass frequency sorting. Fearless should send me one to take pics of :wink:

EDIT: You can see in this picture I found that the S8P has a different sound tube setup. I think the description somewhere stated it had 4, but HBB's looked like it had 3...

upload_2019-3-24_3-8-16.png

Compare to the more equilateral setup seen on mine:

upload_2019-3-24_3-10-4.png

upload_2019-3-24_3-10-45.png

if the bore arrangement is different, it's quite likely that the tubings have slightly different lengths and diameters, which could well account for the graph changes we see. what i'm personally more curious about is how that translates to a loss of microdetails—is it captured by the graph, or is it something to do with the bore arrangement or tubing differences? Either way, how? (I 100% trust HBB's ear on this, I'm just a neurotically curious person.)

edit again: yeugh, sorry to make this even longer, but maybe disregard that—looking at HBB's video, it has either the same or a very similar bore arrangement to the S8F:

upload_2019-3-24_3-15-0.png

perhaps the pic I found (from a Fearless product video) was a preproduction unit or something (and it's custom). I was curious whether it might have 4 tubes but end in 3 bores, but that also doesn't seem to be the case:

upload_2019-3-24_3-17-51.png

the setup looks like the one in the S8F from what I can see. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #726 of 5,204

Yeah, that right there is MY tuning. It's effin' perfect. Of course, I would prefer completely flat bass line, with no rolloff (perhaps slight subbass lift like the harman curve), but it's probably impossible to do that with BAs. A flat bass line means that you will get the natural sound of the drums section. Of all my IEMs, only the Tin T2's play the drums section "correctly/naturally". Kick drums in particular. There is a nice little peak at 16k, which means microdetails will have their "final bite" (the S8pro doesn't have that, so lacking the microdetails's "extra edge" could be attributed to that, but - graphs are unreliable in that section most of the time anyway). This is definitely (PRO) tuning. No idea what they did with the S8pro...

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #727 of 5,204
Yeah, that right there is MY tuning. It's effin' perfect. Of course, I would prefer completely flat bass line, with no rolloff (perhaps slight subbass lift like the harman curve), but it's probably impossible to do that with BAs. A flat bass line means that you will get the natural sound of the drums section. Of all my IEMs, only the Tin T2's play the drums section "correctly/naturally". Kick drums in particular. There is a nice little peak at 16k, which means microdetails will have their "final bite" (the S8pro doesn't have that, so lacking the microdetails's "extra edge" could be attributed to that, but - graphs are unreliable in that section most of the time anyway). This is definitely (PRO) tuning. No idea what they did with the S8pro...

Yeah this is the set by my ears and graph that are most like audiophile tuning. The bass to mid transition is perfect and rise of treble is not abrupt or uniquely tuned. Has great detail but a reserved delivery like the ex1000 sans the high peaks in treble.

Not sure why S8PRO did not go this way but this set does.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #728 of 5,204
Yeah this is the set by my ears and graph that are most like audiophile tuning. The bass to mid transition is perfect and rise of treble is not abrupt or uniquely tuned. Has great detail but a reserved delivery like the ex1000 sans the high peaks in treble.

Any thoughts on whether it makes for a better or worse listening experience compared to the S6Rui, S8F and S8Pro? Both from a perspective of listening to soundtracks and then, live stage monitoring in a band? I know it's all based on personal preference. But i really liked the S6Rui, and am just trying to decide at this point which model to get, since my main use is as an in-ear stage monitor for vocals and electric guitar.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #729 of 5,204
Any thoughts on whether it makes for a better or worse listening experience compared to the S6Rui, S8F and S8Pro? Both from a perspective of listening to soundtracks and then, live stage monitoring in a band? I know it's all based on personal preference. But i really liked the S6Rui, and am just trying to decide at this point which model to get, since my main use is as an in-ear stage monitor for vocals and electric guitar.

I’ve only tried the S5T of the Fearless lineup, which hasn’t really been talked about.
I tried mixing with it and it’s really not suited for that.
However, I think S5T would be quite good for live monitoring for instrumentalists, particularly elec guitar, bass, and keys. Vocals would also be good if you have a lower range (up until tenor; after tenor vocals get recessed). The S5T would be a good cheaper alternative for these scenarios.

But yea, i think the biggest question most people have for HBB at this point is, S6 Rui, S6 Pro, S8F?

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #730 of 5,204

I would take the S8F myself but... I imagine a set that throws as little emphasis on a particular range would be most appropriate for monitoring and in that case it would be the S6 PRO.

I have been migrating towards vocalists and Rock more than ever recently (Croce, Young, Lightfoot) and (Gilmour, Iommi, Rhodes, Van Halen, Allman) among others.

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #731 of 5,204
actually, if you read linsoul's description of the s5h vs s5t, the h model is suggested for monitoring and the t odel is for music/vocal listening. I don't have the t (turbo), but I have the h (hifi) model. I don't personally don't think the h model is great for monitoring, but a great all rounder.

Mar 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #732 of 5,204
Mar 24, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #733 of 5,204

Very glad I waited around. While I like the idea of having 8BAs and a 4 way crossover. The sound is what matters and this S6Pro looks like what I’ve been looking for. The only thing is waiting to see where I can get my hands on them and if they will be priced the same as the S6rui.

Thanks for you dedication HBB. I may end up with a pair of S8F as well for my home listening. And the S6Pro for stage and studio.

Mar 24, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #735 of 5,204
Very glad I waited around. While I like the idea of having 8BAs and a 4 way crossover. The sound is what matters and this S6Pro looks like what I’ve been looking for. The only thing is waiting to see where I can get my hands on them and if they will be priced the same as the S6rui.

Thanks for you dedication HBB. I may end up with a pair of S8F as well for my home listening. And the S6Pro for stage and studio.
I jumped on the S6Rui right away. Very nice pair... Basically I'll wait for thoughts on the acme then call it a day. These all sound like tuning differences, and for someone who EQs, and liberally uses DSP, these all sounds like capable pairs. The acme offers something fundamentally different possibly..... The S6Rui is #1 on the list of headphones I've used the least amount of EQ on....

I'm not sure there's really a truly bad option here, unless the S10 is a true weirdo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back