FEARLESS Audio IEM's Discussion/Impressions
May 11, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #1,996 of 5,204
Really like the ACME8 maze design and I'd imagine it delivers nice bass as a result. But that price tag of $1150 seems steep for Chi-Fi. Might as well get EE Nemesis at that point with 2DD for bass.

How is the sub-bass and mid-bass on S8F, is it better than Kanas Pro? Between S8F and S8Pro, S8F likely has better bass right? Also noticed the impedance is drastically different between S8F and S8Pro.

May 11, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #1,997 of 5,204
I've acquired enough funds after selling my Vega's. Picking up the S12 soon to compliment the EE LX's. Will leave impressions once I get them.

May 11, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #1,998 of 5,204
I've acquired enough funds after selling my Vega's. Picking up the S12 soon to compliment the EE LX's. Will leave impressions once I get them.

I ordered mine last weekend. They still haven't shipped... I'm hoping they arrive before HBB's review because I know I won't be able to not watch it...ha..

May 11, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #1,999 of 5,204
BGGAR is taking his time with the s12 comparo.. i so want to know what that sounds.

I figured out an issue with my setup, i had my dac/amp volume too low and used the computer software volume to change it and it was big mistake. After setting it at 30% software volume and using the physical knob of my dac/amp, the sound was cleaner. Rookie mistake on my part. The bass came alive. I think the knowles are more sensitive to volume as they get loud and peak sooner. The sonion needs a volume feed to make it come on its own. I didnt touch EQ, just volume and at higher volumes the sonion comes alive.
pretty sure you should always use maximum digital volume so you don't suffer any bit loss, then change via analog from there. (that's what the es100 does, e.g.)

May 11, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #2,000 of 5,204
I ordered mine last weekend. They still haven't shipped... I'm hoping they arrive before HBB's review because I know I won't be able to not watch it...ha..

I'm gonna wait till mid-week to order them, I'm not expecting them to get here fast at all haha. At least 3-4 weeks I'm guessing... Hopefully HBB's review will be up before I order.

May 12, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #2,001 of 5,204
I'm gonna wait till mid-week to order them, I'm not expecting them to get here fast at all haha. At least 3-4 weeks I'm guessing... Hopefully HBB's review will be up before I order.

I asked if they had one in stock or if it was a 1-2 week build time because if it was going to be the latter I figured I'd wait for the review. They said that there was one in stock so I figured I'd have it by now and get to hear it relatively unbiased before the review. I guess there was a misunderstanding... No big deal.
I am hoping it will be able to replace the S8F as I just purchased a Kanas Pro off the exchange to be my work iem....

Boy the S8F sounds really really great though through the ZX300 balanced.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #2,002 of 5,204
pretty sure you should always use maximum digital volume so you don't suffer any bit loss, then change via analog from there. (that's what the es100 does, e.g.)

Can you expand on that? With most items, adjusting the volume on the headphone or whatever seems to tie in directly to the amp. I'm getting a new ES100 today though, so we will see. Excited to have one again to use with my DT 1770. Getting the Ex800st today as well. It's like Christmas! Lol

May 12, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #2,004 of 5,204
Can you expand on that? With most items, adjusting the volume on the headphone or whatever seems to tie in directly to the amp. I'm getting a new ES100 today though, so we will see. Excited to have one again to use with my DT 1770. Getting the Ex800st today as well. It's like Christmas! Lol
There's digital volume (e.g. "Bluetooth device volume), and lowering that below max can result in a loss of information because, as it's digital, you can't "just" scale down the amplitude. There are only a certain number of bits to play with, you can't just "scale them down". Analog volume control doesn't have this problem; you'll see on the es100 that it has two volume sliders, and will tell you to turn the BT one all the way up and control the volume with the analog slider.

May 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #2,005 of 5,204
There's digital volume (e.g. "Bluetooth device volume), and lowering that below max can result in a loss of information because, as it's digital, you can't "just" scale down the amplitude. There are only a certain number of bits to play with, you can't just "scale them down". Analog volume control doesn't have this problem; you'll see on the es100 that it has two volume sliders, and will tell you to turn the BT one all the way up and control the volume with the analog slider.

Wait: so when I turn down the volume on my phone, it attenuates the volume it's sending to my ES100 by sending less information? That doesn't sound right.

May 12, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,006 of 5,204
Probably not, the source device can upsample to >16 bits to allow volume attenuation without losing data or it can send the current volume out-of-band (absolute volume) along with the original unaltered data. If one of the devices doesn't support either of those then the sender would have to downsample to lower the volume which would be a lossy conversion...

May 12, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #2,007 of 5,204
2 weeks since jumping on the hype train and my S8F order is still in production. No sign of dispatch.

This wait is killing me :triportsad:.

Don't stress! They are good, but not great! There is something about the treble and upper midrange that had me sell my new pair. To me there is harshness and sizzle at moderate to loud volume levels here. I love treble, but these just annoyed me. They do look great though!

May 12, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #2,008 of 5,204

I ordered the S8F on 9 April, and got an email yesterday (12 May) that they have just shipped. Mine are ciems though, which definitely took longer to make than universals. But just a heads up that it may take longer than you expect, but seems like they will fulfil your order in time. They are probably just slammed with numerous orders, so hang tight! haha

May 12, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #2,009 of 5,204
Wait: so when I turn down the volume on my phone, it attenuates the volume it's sending to my ES100 by sending less information? That doesn't sound right.

Probably not, the source device can upsample to >16 bits to allow volume attenuation without losing data or it can send the current volume out-of-band (absolute volume) along with the original unaltered data. If one of the devices doesn't support either of those then the sender would have to downsample to lower the volume which would be a lossy conversion...

here's what radsone has to say about it: https://www.scribd.com/document/409711552/fb72a4-a6a76213617c46c38213e298784bff55-1

but i already spent a hot minute looking for that, so i can't discuss it further right now

May 13, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #2,010 of 5,204
I have the IER-M9 and Andromeda S and these are in the same league as far as I'm concerned - I don't think he was intentionally exagerrating his actual impression of them...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back