EXTREME/HARSH burn-in of Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm = dt770 80ohm>>>>>Sennheiser HD650. SHAME ON YOU HEAD-FI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #61 of 102
It could be your lack of gear that makes your 650s sound bad, but I have some 770s coming to use at work as I need closed cans that don't leak so much sound. My 650s have all kinds of authority when driven by my M3 and DAC.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #62 of 102
I just got a pair of BD DT-770 Pros (250 ohm) and right now I'm f#*king LOVING them!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #63 of 102
250hm, MEGABASS

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #65 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am an old HD650 enthusiast. i bought a fresh pair of Beyerdynamic pro DT770 80ohm and put them on the end of my chunky 30gig ipod for two weeks at full volume with clean bass heavy music (no distortion).

all i can say is that i'm stunned. completely stunned. stunned. these make the HD650 feel anemic, pigeon chested and weak. the sound stage is stunning and effrortless. COMPLETELY regardless of ipod or V3. the trebble is sweet and well moderated, making the 650 seem a tad shrill and bright and thin. the 770 bass is sourced from a sweet lucid bottomless pit.

WHY WAS I NOT WARNED OF THESE EARLIER. SHAME ON YOU HEAD-FI!! FOR SHAME!!!!!!

WOW, you have got to be kidding me. The sound stage on the DT770 is anything but stunning. The treble (try to spell it right next time), is not sweet at all, it's quite fatiguing and has a lot of sibilance.

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #66 of 102
Hey,

This thread is awesome, considering I just bought a pair of DT 770 / 80.

But - I happen to love my Beyers!!!

I had the 880s/250 but they just lacked the thump I love to hear as a bass player. Whenever these headphones bump on bass drum kicks or bass notes can make me feel like I'm standing right next to my bass rack playing with Chad Smith or Neil Pert..

But by no means does this characteristic reduce the quality of the phones on tracks that need highs and mids. I really like the texture of the phones for jazz (the highs don't necessarily sparkle, which you wouldn't really hear at a live performance anyway). The sound is ultra smooth. I can def. see that some people would call it scooped, but I hear it as smooth

I can also see that there are some sparkling jingles and piano riffs that are sometimes covered (not entirely, you hear them but they are not pronounced so clearly as they were with my 880s). But from experience, to me, if every single instrument is pronounced up front, the music becomes too distracting to just sit back and enjoy.

So overall, I think these things do a good job placing you in the music, instead of apart. I feel like a participant rather than an observer with the 770s, atleast compared to the 880s nehow.

In this sense, I'm extremely happy with my $150 shipped (new n sealed) purchase. Thanks Head-Fi for pointing me in the right direction

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #67 of 102
Glad the OP loving his DT770. But yes, I am among the Head-Fiers who would recommend the HD650 over a DT770 (limited listening) easily, without question. And as someone mentioned before, running the HD650 from the iPod is ok, you'll hear your music, but not what the HD650 actually sounds like. And if you read people's recommendations with the HD650, you would know that the X-Can, both V3 and V8 are not recommended with the HD650. I'm guess you bought your HD650 from some website that pairs them with the X-Cans? I have no idea why that website does that, a weak hybrid amp that works well with low impedance, easy to drive headphones, paired with a hard to drive high impedance HD650.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #69 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad the OP loving his DT770. But yes, I am among the Head-Fiers who would recommend the HD650 over a DT770 (limited listening) easily, without question. And as someone mentioned before, running the HD650 from the iPod is ok, you'll hear your music, but not what the HD650 actually sounds like. And if you read people's recommendations with the HD650, you would know that the X-Can, both V3 and V8 are not recommended with the HD650. I'm guess you bought your HD650 from some website that pairs them with the X-Cans? I have no idea why that website does that, a weak hybrid amp that works well with low impedance, easy to drive headphones, paired with a hard to drive high impedance HD650.
rolleyes.gif

On a side note: As far as I know, the Musical Fidelity X-can V3 was designed with the higher Senns in mind.
It works great with higher ohm cans, less so with lower ohms (my own experience and hear say).
It's a completely different amp than the newer V8.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #70 of 102
I actually prefer the DT770/80 over the HD650 as well. I never liked the 650's sonic signature.

But anyone reading my sig knows that I prefer Beyers
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #72 of 102
The DT770/80 is the pro model.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #74 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually prefer the DT770/80 over the HD650 as well. I never liked the 650's sonic signature.

But anyone reading my sig knows that I prefer Beyers
smily_headphones1.gif

what I still fail to understand is why you'd prefer a wooden Pro/80 over your Premium/600
confused.gif

I've had a Pro/250(which is supposedly more balanced than the 80....that's supposed to be a bass fart), and the sound is much more neutral and transparent on the Premium/600
smily_headphones1.gif

the Pro has too much clamping, which makes the bass overwhelming and the sound overcompressed+saturated...I'm so glad I ditched them
biggrin.gif

BTW, did you compare velours/leather pads on your Premium/600? any major SQ difference?

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #75 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I still fail to understand is why you'd prefer a wooden Pro/80 over your Premium/600
confused.gif

I've had a Pro/250(which is supposedly more balanced than the 80....that's supposed to be a bass fart), and the sound is much more neutral and transparent on the Premium/600
smily_headphones1.gif

the Pro has too much clamping, which makes the bass overwhelming and the sound overcompressed+saturated...I'm so glad I ditched them
biggrin.gif

BTW, did you compare velours/leather pads on your Premium/600? any major SQ difference?

If you have not actually HEARD the Headphile modded deep-cup Darth Beyer, of course, you couldn't understand.

That said, the Premium DT770/600 are tremendously good - and in some ways I DO prefer them. In some ways, my recabled 770/600's are my very favorite headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back