EXTREME/HARSH burn-in of Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm = dt770 80ohm>>>>>Sennheiser HD650. SHAME ON YOU HEAD-FI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #46 of 102
Haha, it's not our fault it took this long to find what you were looking for! To each their own-- there are so many variances in choosing the can that fits you best. That's why music and the headphones that accompany it are so personal. Just because something shines in all areas doesn't mean that they're the best for everyone.

I'm super happy that you found what you were looking for at last! I know I'm a Beyer man myself, but I have still yet to hear a nice properly amped/sourced HD650 so I can't rightly comment on that... but at the right price maybe I could... *wink*wink*

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #47 of 102
I've recieved DT770/80 today, they had like 3 hrs on them.
On my setup HD650>DT770/80.
Im not saying DT770/80 are bad, but to me music feel's kinda empty on them, bass has more kick on senn's and feels more smooth.
For bass testing i've been listening to Daft punk - Revolution 909,Aphex Twin - Bbydhyonchord.
On vocal music with beyers it sounds like someone is singing behing my back.
I hope things will get better with burn-in.
Overall DT770/80 are great cans but not in the same place as HD650.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #48 of 102
I hope that I agree with the OP when I get mine (if they are ever shipped!) I know that I will prefer them to the K701s on the basis of comfort and isolation, so I hope that I like them at least as well soundwise. Liking them better soundwise would be awesome!

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #49 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mybeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recieved DT770/80 today, they had like 3 hrs on them.
On my setup HD650>DT770/80.
Im not saying DT770/80 are bad, but to me music feel's kinda empty on them, bass has more kick on senn's and feels more smooth.
For bass testing i've been listening to Daft punk - Revolution 909,Aphex Twin - Bbydhyonchord.
On vocal music with beyers it sounds like someone is singing behing my back.
I hope things will get better with burn-in.
Overall DT770/80 are great cans but not in the same place as HD650.

HD650 with more bass kick than the DT770 /80? you probably have the non-pro version of the beyers. also, proper burn-in will improve the sound (IME) of any dynamic headphone, and the beyers are no exception. let them fry for 100 hours and then compare.

Dec 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #50 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most people here will though
biggrin.gif
!

I already have a pair and I would
tongue.gif

I paid $260 or so for mine I think like a month ago. They're the new version and had a couple hundred hours on them irrc. He could have put a strip of tape on the box and called them new.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #51 of 102
well, the aggressive burn in has escalated drastically. my x-can v3 is wound through to 'its' 10 mark (about 3/4?) with bass rich clean music. i have the dt770 closed tight on a book and i can hear them from one end of the house to the other. no mercy is being shown in this trial here. i know, i must be deriving some sort of sick and twisted pleasure in this process. unbelievably, the phones are not distorting, but i'm wondering if they will pop soon enough
biggrin.gif

has anyone cooked a pair of phones during burn in?

i have definitely noticed that most of the boxy/boomy resonance of the 770 disappears with good amplification. they could possibly benefit from some extra internal baffling.

Dec 31, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #52 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the aggressive burn in has escalated drastically. my x-can v3 is wound through to 'its' 10 mark (about 3/4?) with bass rich clean music. i have the dt770 closed tight on a book and i can hear them from one end of the house to the other. no mercy is being shown in this trial here. i know, i must be deriving some sort of sick and twisted pleasure in this process. unbelievably, the phones are not distorting, but i'm wondering if they will pop soon enough
biggrin.gif

has anyone cooked a pair of phones during burn in?

i have definitely noticed that most of the boxy/boomy resonance of the 770 disappears with good amplification. they could possibly benefit from some extra internal baffling.

Good luck with the burn-in (burn-out) - the diaghragms should 'pop' tear any day now - try pushing it a little past the 10 mark just to help speed up the process.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #53 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try headphones from Bose or Skullcandy and you'll be stunned again

I would like to hear some Bose headphones because I heard some Bose surround sound at Circuit City and it was ridiculous.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #54 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck with the burn-in (burn-out) - the diaghragms should 'pop' tear any day now - try pushing it a little past the 10 mark just to help speed up the process.

don't panic. i think i'll call it a day on the burn in.

unbelievably, miraculously, the diaphrams have survived this horrendous process. yep, there should be a law against this kind of electronic abuse. all i can say is that they must have been on the absolute edge of their physical properties and tolerances. truth be told - the thought of them cooking didn't bother me excessively, and this allowed me to surf the fine edge of acceptable practice without care.

all that i'm left with is sweet sweet lucid musicality with a bottomless pit of bass response
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #55 of 102
just doing a quick A-B with my senn hd650 right now on the last 1 min or so of a track called 'basin dub', artist - 2562, album - Aerial

once again, the hd650 simply cant dig deeply or authoritatively enough for (especially) this music, sounding very thin and treble/mid biased. slip on the 770 pro 80 and a whole new world is opened up. the depth and even the speed and athleticism of the extreme lower registers is superb.

i would be fascinated to hear any other feedback re this track. what are these frequencies btw?

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #56 of 102
I have quite a bit of equipment and by switching and swapping I found that there is synergy that enhances sound and no synergy that isn't flattering. Cable changes will also fall into this realm. My 650 stock always felt as though there was more to be desired. Then I remover the thin veil that protects the inside of the cup and there was more sound. Then I put on cardas cable and there was a inprovement. Now I have ALO on them and they are very very sweet. When I put dampening material on them they became real smooth. I don't think 650 will ever resemble 770 but there is a difference in the bass you hear and feel when beyers have velour cups vs leather. Also, big differences in the reproduction of sound if your cd is playing or your listening to a compressed bit rate. I started importing at 192 and that was a mistake I wish I avoided. Then 320 then 990. You must import at 990 or wav if you want the cans to sing real accurate.
BTW I also remove the dry lubricant that protects the cd from scratching in manufacturing process. The sound quality improves dramatically. www.liquidrez.com does a wonderful fast job. I cannot even listen to a cd that hasn't been cleaned with if and then I apply their optical enhancer for more revealing sound. I am bringing this up because when you prepare your source for better readability the sound improves dramatically.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #57 of 102
I'm glad you found cans that suit you so well. sell off them Senns and put some cash back in your pocket

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #59 of 102
try pulling a sedan with your teeth...thats whats like driving HD650 off iPod.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #60 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepberkeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the DT 770s really change from all that burn-in?

Mine didn't
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back