EXTREME/HARSH burn-in of Beyerdynamic DT 770 80ohm = dt770 80ohm>>>>>Sennheiser HD650. SHAME ON YOU HEAD-FI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 28, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #31 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Threads like these make the site interesting. I'm always happy to read user accounts that go against the grain.

Interesting? Grain? What? Where? Think of an ocean full of ships without rudders, all doing 60 knots.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #32 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadRoom had a review on the DT770 Pro 250 ohm, and mentioned the year 2006 in that review.
Later they replaced this review for the DT770 2005 consumer edition, without a graph. That review also disappeared from their site, but for some strange reason, they left the graph of the Pro 250 ohm (with the year 2006 as referral).
You can see all this when you search on: Internet Archive Wayback Machine

More explanation at: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...ml#post4900327

The archives in those posts are basically showing dodginess by HR. The "DT-770 (non-pro)" in the first archive link shows a photo of a DT-770 Pro, which in itself should say something. Secondly, there are no "new" 2006 edition DT-770s which look like the DT-770 Pro. The archive link which mentions a "new for 2006" DT-770 is talking about the new DT-770/2005/Consumer Edition. They just didn't bother to update the photo.

The graph of the DT-770 Pro (see here) was on the HR site prior to the introduction of the "2006" DT-770. This original graph did not have the large dip at 65Hz which the current graph has. The graph you see there now is of the new DT-770/2005/ConsumerEdn.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #33 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The archives in those posts are basically showing dodginess by HR. The "DT-770 (non-pro)" in the first archive link shows a photo of a DT-770 Pro, which in itself should say something. Secondly, there are no "new" 2006 edition DT-770s which look like the DT-770 Pro. The archive link which mentions a "new for 2006" DT-770 is talking about the new DT-770/2005/Consumer Edition. They just didn't bother to update the photo.

The graph of the DT-770 Pro (see here) was on the HR site prior to the introduction of the "2006" DT-770. This original graph did not have the large dip at 65Hz which the current graph has. The graph you see there now is of the new DT-770/2005/ConsumerEdn.

Beats me why they call the current DT770 graph the 2006 DT770...

I disagree on this: "The archive link which mentions a "new for 2006" DT-770 is talking about the new DT-770/2005/Consumer Edition."
Because the review on the "new for 2006" DT-770 is different from the later DT770 consumer edition review:

Pro '2006' edition:
"The new-for-2006 beyerdynamic DT770 is an old-school, sturdy sealed headphone with good bass response. This newer model offers better control on the highs than the previous version. The weak-sounding mids of yore have also been beefed-up nicely and are now slightly better detailed."

Consumer 2005 edition:
"The beyerdynamic DT770 is an old-school, sturdy sealed headphone with terrifically clean and punchy bass response, especially for a sealed headphone design. This revised DT770 model offers better control and sonic extension on the upper treble ranges than previous 770 editions. The somewhat recessed mid-range of yore has also been nicely beefed-up and is now significantly better-detailed to our ears than many other sealed/closed headphones on the market today."

But maybe you are right, and is it a HR mess up. It's not that important to me
beyersmile.png

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #35 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've just linked to the 2006 version of the DT-770. If you read the OP, it says DT-770 Pro. Two different headphones.

Couldn't agree more.

That graph was the only graph available. Moreover while the impedance is different .... the frequency response graphs of the two versions are very, very similar. The point was you can see the bloated bass and tipped up treble clearly revealed in the graph.

I owned the DT770 pro 250 ohm and have borrowed and listened to the 80 ohm version. The gross inaccuracies of the 770 are blatantly obvious with either version and correspond to the graph IMO. To compare the 650 to the DT770 Pro is simply a mismatch if both are driven to their potential.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #36 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That graph was the only graph available. Moreover while the impedance is different .... the frequency response graphs of the two versions are very, very similar. The point was you can see the bloated bass and tipped up treble clearly revealed in the graph.

I owned the DT770 pro 250 ohm and have borrowed and listened to the 80 ohm version. The gross inaccuracies of the 770 are blatantly obvious with either version and correspond to the graph IMO. To compare the 650 to the DT770 Pro is simply a mismatch if both are driven to their potential.

Ok fair enough, but remember that what you call "bloated", another person calls balanced, punchy, fun, musical, etc. Saying a headphone is "grossly inaccurate" is rarely appropriate IMO. Each of us hears differently. Add to that the differences in people's taste, and "accuracy" as the objective measure you imply it to be doesn't really enter the picture.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #37 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Irony? Parody? Self-deprecating wit? Sure. But I don't sense any malice in the original post. (Of course, I could be wrong and he's being self-righteous. But I am Canadian and I understand self-deprecation and irony! <=Note the irony.)

(Now about those HD650s. I can take them off your hands. Cheap
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cheers for that. of course it was humor! i may be a bit of a goose sometimes, but i do take full responsibility for all my purchases LOL. to suggest otherwise is ridiculous to the point of....um, humor!

...and i'm not calling my hd650 a rubbish headphone, because its not at all. i paid big $ for them a few years ago and have really enjoyed them. but the dt770 pro 80ohm has a richness and subterranean foundation to its presentation that feels like it can rattle my chest when it should. what a bedrock it gives to music! the 650 hasn't a hope of doing this. a genuine 5 second demo will reveal this aspect. the 770 pro 80 is getting close to live performance bass levels, and can dig so deep so smoothly, effortlessly and casually, it makes me instantly realise what i'm missing in the 650s, and how important that is to me personally.

whoever said the mids are a bit recessed is probably correct, but paradoxically the breadth and depth of the soundstage is very very good, and probably better than my 650s. this is the biggest 'surprise' of these phones for me. totally unexpected. and they're light weight, very comfy, isolating and great value. its the first time in years i have really wanted to listen to headphones while i lie in bed for a snooze. its sheer heaven.

time will tell if the 770 is too much of a good 'ear candy' thing. but there is no etching, shrillness or harshness to speak of, so a big tick there thankfully.

its hard to argue with what your own brain truly prefers and enjoys most.

Cheers to all
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #40 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you're enjoying the DT-770.

Humor or not, I'd say you got pretty much the reaction you were hoping for.
smily_headphones1.gif

True! - and I guess my attempt at reciprocal humor was also misinterpreted. I must say that I am now even more tempted to further extend my mortgage and give the DT-770s a try - who knows, maybe another convert.
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #41 of 102
I have the 990's and I too like them more than my HD650's . but then I got "the Fever" So now I'm siitng here with Denon AHD5000's on my head and I never want to take them off. Fun, Like the Beyers but more precise than Beyers or Senns. But my fever hasn't broken yet. A used pair of Grado gs1000's are on the way. I've spent over 2,000.00 in just the last 4 months Are there no Meds I can take? Any kind of Rehab for what we got? God Helps us all !!!

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #43 of 102
I did a quick scan of recent successful auctions on eBay (US) for HD650. I was able to look back two weeks (eight auctions in total). All of the HD650 were described as either new, like new or mint. The price ranged from $262 to $370US.

You might also consider selling them in the head-fi classifieds.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #44 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i decide to get rid of the hd650, what is the going rate for a perfect pair second hand?

could i reasonably expect 100-150 bucks on fleabay?

If you want to sell a HD650 for $ 100-150, just PM me and I'll take them
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #45 of 102
Most people here will though
biggrin.gif
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back