eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 8, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #1,516 of 2,970
Is there any news on if there is going to be a new run of boards available?
confused_face(1).gif

I'd be up for one and there seems to be a few guys earlier in the thread showing interest. How many boards/requests would be needed to make a next run feasible?

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #1,518 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone interested in doing a commissioned build of one of these when the boards become available?

PM Sent.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #1,519 of 2,970
Three power supplies up. Load tested with Larry's Hybrid amp board - it's up with stable offsets hovering around 0V.

Maybe get it to make some sounds tomorrow eve...
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #1,520 of 2,970
I haven't been around here as much as I'd like lately, but wanted to say thanks for the gorgeous boards and chips! Hopefully, I can find the time to order the parts this weekend and I've got a spare Par-Metal case to put it in. With a little luck, I can stuff the boards between Christmas and New Year's and get it up and running.

I'm really looking forward to it. n3rdling's solid state version sounded incredible at the Orange County meet, so I'm looking forward to jacking my O2 into my own.

Thanks again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #1,521 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Three power supplies up. Load tested with Larry's Hybrid amp board - it's up with stable offsets hovering around 0V.

Maybe get it to make some sounds tomorrow eve...
tongue.gif

Sounds exciting!

BTW, we'll get to compare the eXStatA to the Woo WES now...

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #1,522 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anyone interested in doing a commissioned build of one of these when the boards become available?

Same here.
regular_smile .gif

Did any compare the SE and balanced inputs? Is there any difference in sound?

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #1,523 of 2,970
Unless the source has a different output stage for its SE vs. balanced output I would think that if you were using short IC's it'd be impossible to distinguish between the two.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #1,524 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the source has a different output stage for its SE vs. balanced output I would think that if you were using short IC's it'd be impossible to distinguish between the two.

Be careful Nate! You'll get the peasants with the pitchforks after you!

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #1,525 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be careful Nate! You'll get the peasants with the pitchforks after you!

I ain't skeeeered, I'll just start throwing transformers and chokes at them!

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #1,526 of 2,970
Balanced vs. Un - that's another thread isn't it? That said - we did notice a difference with the proto at RMAF. even though there's not supposed to be a gain difference between the two inputs, we heard lower gain on the SE.

Larry, did we ever listen to the dif's after we solved the source problem? I think it was only running balanced from my Opus the rest of the show.

Sherwood has listened extensively SE, perhaps he could be cajoled into sharing his experience.

I can A/B with my DAC Magic, but can't be sure of it's output stage topology differences between SE and Balanced.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #1,528 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The isn't any difference in gain between the inputs (or rather grounding one half of the input to be more precise) but balanced has twice as much voltage as SE (2V vs. 4VRMS) so the end voltage swing is doubled.

Slight clarification, feeding the amp with a balanced input provides the potential for more output voltage swing. But as previously explained by jcx this amp has sufficient gain such that even a 2V input signal will allow for maximum output voltage swing as limited by the power supply. I think I have that right.
redface.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #1,530 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed that is correct.
redface.gif
Feed it 4V and it should then output 2kV but that won't happen.

At a gain of 1000 it would try and output 4kV, wouldn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back