eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #1,501 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure why you mentioned 22 awg, but if it was based on the Ebay auction above, they also sell 18 awg in the same stuff.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #1,502 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure why you mentioned 22 awg, but if it was based on the Ebay auction above, they also sell 18 awg in the same stuff.

Yeah, I'm looking at and deciding between 18 and 22 from the store you linked. I'm not sure I want 18 all round because it seems a bit nuts to run something so bulky for the bias and audio outs.

But I wasn't sure 22 would be sufficient gauge for the power wiring either, if only because I have used bigger stuff for previous projects - mainly based on AMB's recommendations for the M3 and B22. I appreciate that they run much higher current than this amp will, but this being my first HV project, I want to make sure I'm not likely to burn the house down
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,505 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why pick one when you can just buy both?
smily_headphones1.gif

The 18ga stuff makes for nice DIY PC's too.

Because after a huge Mouser order, paying for Stax jacks, casework tools, etc. etc. I am effectively too broke to buy several different kinds of wire
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
22AWG is fine for all the DC power lines but I usually wire live AC with 18AWG out of habit.

No complaints here. I already have some bog-standard hook up wire for that.

Dec 8, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #1,506 of 2,970
Always use 18awg for heaters myself, preferrably 200c PTFE - and boy, look at the geeks pop out when someone starts talking about wire... who'd a thunk it?

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #1,507 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always use 18awg for heaters myself, preferrably 200c PTFE - and boy, look at the geeks pop out when someone starts talking about wire... who'd a thunk it?

Did you just call me a geek?
banned.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #1,508 of 2,970
i ran:

18g canabilised stranded for the AC
18g teflon stranded spc for the DC power
22g solid spc for the outputs
canabilised canare for the inputs

i'll have to post some more pics i guess

had three hours of blackout yesterday, amp was done, but can't listen to it...

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #1,509 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you just call me a geek?
banned.gif

Great avatar - now would I do something stupid like that (uber rhetorical)?
Even better asking marc an offline question while doing so...

To a bit different topic, what are folks doing about casing? I am currently on top dead center fail on this one - another wood case <sigh>?

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,510 of 2,970
Quote:

To a bit different topic, what are folks doing about casing? I am currently on top dead center fail on this one - another wood case <sigh>?

Pedestrian ParMetal...

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #1,511 of 2,970
Quote:

To a bit different topic, what are folks doing about casing?

I bought two HiFi2000 Pesante 2U cases in a group buy on another forum. The Exstata is going in one of those, to make a matching stack with my Buffalo DAC going in the other.

Quote:

I am currently on top dead center fail on this one - another wood case <sigh>?

Why would you sigh at that idea? Your wood cases are beautiful!
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #1,512 of 2,970
Quote:

i was going to try a wood one, i do not have anything metal to salvage it into. i think Xmas cookie tins are not quite right for this, and given that my youngest likes to touch this project, a case is required

any reason this could not be a two box build?

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #1,513 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you sigh at that idea? Your wood cases are beautiful!
wink.gif

Gracias, but Dr Wood isn't doing the dovetails for me on this one (and I just plain suck at dovetail or box joints), and think this amp deserves better than what I've been doing. Besides, wait until you see the metal cases I have (mostly) fabbed - just need to find a GOOD aluminum welder in DFW.

Dec 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #1,514 of 2,970
Quote:

eBAy is your friend... In addition to the Sylvania TV camera, now gutted for a tube amp, I also picked this up:

Hallicrafters S-95 Civic Patrol SW Receiver 40 Watts - eBay (item 120491506095 end time Nov-17-09 14:45:15 PST)

My plans have since changed, as I originally planned to keep the Hybrid in the Sylvania and sell the SS. Now I've flopped and will probably sell the populated Hybrid boards after testing, unless it's just a far more entertaining amp than the SS...

They'll both fit in your old standby... NABU. You could go crazy and cut out a port hole window into the NABU through the front faceplate so you can see the tubes glowing...

My standard faceplate is walnut or maple. Stealthed LEDs, counter sunk volume knob, countersunk jacks, etc...

I'm trying to stuff the two F5s, with PSU at the far sides on each end with the eXStata SS in the middle within the confines of a NABU base. To alleviate confusion, only one amp will be powered at a time. So either the F5s or the eXstata, but not both. One master power switch, crossed within the eXStata switch so if the eXStata is flipped on, the F5s go off. Might have to put an E12 time delay in there too, to make it 4yo destructive son proof.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #1,515 of 2,970
Quote:

To a bit different topic, what are folks doing about casing?

Probably going either with Lansing or Context for mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back