eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 7, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #1,471 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of you who have working amps, have you been listening to them? How are they holding up over time?

Ok, the SS is going SE (now residing in Cali), and no idea what is causing a hum in one system (no idea on the chain), but not in two others. Maybe Sergery can update? it is the 2nd generation proto with Triads.

2nd generation Hybrid is a daily player, and, well, it continues to be a fun. It really does nail guitars (my focal obsession) and all manner of microdetail - with prodigious bass. I did notice a 'smoothing' of the amp at about the two week level (~60-70 hours), but who knows if it is the tubes, sand, or just everything playing well together.

3rd generation Hybrid missing 3 resistors that I'll pick up at lunch, though I'm waiting on a few chasis parts to fire it all up. Will power psu tonight or tomorrow to see if everything holds (yes. my load resistors are on the desk) - might even post a pic just to have Runeight's personal physician prescribe some digitalis... then I can compare the 2nd and 3rd generation Hybrids except for a couple of other differences (tubes, tranny, jacks, attenuators, etc) - never ceteris paribus, eh?

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #1,472 of 2,970
Hi

I've been an avid follower of this thread and hopefully will be building a hybrid soon but I'm a bit confused when you write about the 2nd and 3rd generation hybrids. What are the differences between the two - are you using different components or design?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the SS is going SE (now residing in Cali), and no idea what is causing a hum in one system (no idea on the chain), but not in two others. Maybe Sergery can update? it is the 2nd generation proto with Triads.

2nd generation Hybrid is a daily player, and, well, it continues to be a fun. It really does nail guitars (my focal obsession) and all manner of microdetail - with prodigious bass. I did notice a 'smoothing' of the amp at about the two week level (~60-70 hours), but who knows if it is the tubes, sand, or just everything playing well together.

3rd generation Hybrid missing 3 resistors that I'll pick up at lunch, though I'm waiting on a few chasis parts to fire it all up. Will power psu tonight or tomorrow to see if everything holds (yes. my load resistors are on the desk) - might even post a pic just to have Runeight's personal physician prescribe some digitalis... then I can compare the 2nd and 3rd generation Hybrids except for a couple of other differences (tubes, tranny, jacks, attenuators, etc) - never ceteris paribus, eh?

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #1,473 of 2,970
Version 1 was the original proto. Version 2 was the original proto with resistor changes to the emitter followers.

Version 3 is what we have now and if there are future boards, this is what they will be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #1,474 of 2,970
Version 1 = red boards
Version 2 = green boards
Version 3 = black boards right?

Also, my amp is all soldered together, I have enough time tonight after work I'll be giving it a test run, otherwise it'll be tomorrow after I clean the boards and heatshrink all the exposed connectors.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #1,476 of 2,970
Also note, for those playing along, we had a 0 Generation version that laid the groundwork for where we are now.

So, technically accurate is:

Gen 0 - Green boards
Gen 1 - Red boards
Gen 2 - _same_ Red boards, with a resistor mod, and ccs protoboard
Gen 3 - Black boards

If anyone is interested in a "Collectors Edition" of Red hybrid boards, let me know. Also, if anyone wants to try the 2sc3675 in place of the 5042, I have enough for 3 sets.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #1,477 of 2,970
Quote:

Also, if anyone wants to try the 2sc3675 in place of the 5042, I have enough for 3 sets.

Looking at the data sheets, I can't see any major differences in the specs between those two. Am I missing something?

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #1,479 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by studeb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another silly question, what size are the mounting holes on the PCB?

My standoffs do not fit.
confused_face.gif

All of Alex's boards are designed for 4-40 hardware

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #1,481 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the data sheets, I can't see any major differences in the specs between those two. Am I missing something?

No you're not. They are nearly identical which makes the Sanyo a very good sub.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #1,483 of 2,970
Right. What I meant to say earlier is that the sanyo is a better sub than the ksc5027. Although the 5027 is not a bad sub at all if needed.

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #1,485 of 2,970
Quote:

Also note, for those playing along, we had a 0 Generation version that laid the groundwork for where we are now.

So, technically accurate is:

Gen 0 - Green boards
Gen 1 - Red boards
Gen 2 - _same_ Red boards, with a resistor mod, and ccs protoboard
Gen 3 - Black boards

If anyone is interested in a "Collectors Edition" of Red hybrid boards, let me know. Also, if anyone wants to try the 2sc3675 in place of the 5042, I have enough for 3 sets.

Technically, there were both Green and Red Gen 1 boards, but who's counting
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back