eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #1,459 of 2,970
Ah. The 5027 is still a good sub for the follower devices in the hybrid. And, eventually, the 5042s will be out of stock. Then everyone will have to use the 5027s or those much better Sanyo jobbies that pabbi1 posted a few pages back.

Dec 6, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #1,461 of 2,970
Yes, that's right in the target range.

Those of you who have working amps, have you been listening to them? How are they holding up over time?

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #1,462 of 2,970
And while we're waiting, Marc if you're still listening in, what about J112/J177 (or maybe J176) as a decent complementary pair? Seems like the could be Idss matched which would get their gms close to the same.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #1,463 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's right in the target range.

Those of you who have working amps, have you been listening to them? How are they holding up over time?

Well mine has been on since Friday night non stop, except for a few hours today. PSU is stable, i have to check the offsets again, but i think they will be stable. All the heatsinks are warm, except for Q5/6 on the PSU which is about 5 sec hot.

Soundwise, this is great. Nice tight bass. You know something is up when you say, "hey where did that bass line come from...." When i first powered it up it seemed to be bass heavy, but that has changed over the last few days. Top end is smooth, not too bright, i have been a tube kinda guy fo a long time, but i do not mind this sand amp one bit.

Thanks Alex, all in all a super smooth amp.

I do not have another stat amp to compare it to, but if anyone in San Diego has one ands is interested in a listen, let me know.

Dec 7, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #1,464 of 2,970
Ok, let's talk about PSU wiring - in the original proto, I had to add some resistors on the input - is that no longer the case, even with the 269jx?

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #1,465 of 2,970
Another PSU question... Is the Nichicon a superior cap to the Panasonic and worth the extra $10 a pair in the PSU? I've always preferred Panasonic caps, hence my question. The price deltas between Mouser and Digi-Key prevent me from assuming more expensive means better.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #1,466 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another PSU question... Is the Nichicon a superior cap to the Panasonic and worth the extra $10 a pair in the PSU? I've always preferred Panasonic caps, hence my question. The price deltas between Mouser and Digi-Key prevent me from assuming more expensive means better.

I wouldn't spend extra for PSU caps, there's not much to be gained from what's been spec'd.

I had Obligato films on my PS output early in the proto phase when I spaced a cap order. Coudn't hear a difference
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #1,467 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, let's talk about PSU wiring - in the original proto, I had to add some resistors on the input - is that no longer the case, even with the 269jx?

I think you should try it without any resistors. I suspect it will be ok.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #1,468 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
psu report

i am currently four 100v 1w zener d041(mouser part: 78-1N4764A-TAP) short for the 300v zener string of my other psu build. i will be grateful if someone have some spares one of those to sell me or order 4 extra of those if they are ordering parts from mouser and resell them to me.

But I did get 12 100v 1w zener d041(mouser part: 78-1N4764A-TAP).
enough for 2 psu's + spare.
You're welcome to 4 of them.

I'm in Sydney too. pm me

I ordered the 269jx transfomer instead of the 369jx "Doh"

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #1,469 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't spend extra for PSU caps, there's not much to be gained from what's been spec'd.

I had Obligato films on my PS output early in the proto phase when I spaced a cap order. Coudn't hear a difference
wink.gif

Thanks Bill, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a potentially audible difference in ripple or PSRR.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #1,470 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Bill, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a potentially audible difference in ripple or PSRR.

The caps feed a CCS, and the CCS feeds a shunt. They would have to be seriously bad caps to make a difference in all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back