eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #1,546 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Running at stats at a lower voltage should still work, correct? I never got around to rechecking the bias voltages and its way to wet and nasty out to go to the lab.

Yes, if you're SURE it's lower voltage. running them at higher voltage might not be so good...

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #1,547 of 2,970
Ok, the hybrid is up and playing music. Completely immune to AC heater noise from my sloppy wiring too.

I think I might like it better than the sand amp. But it's too soon to tell. I only listened to 3-4 songs. All Rock, and this amp is rocking. Very similar to the sand amp, certainly sharing all the strengths. I'll let those tubes burn overnight and revisit tomorrow.

Attached a picture to make Larry Cringe: - Uncased Amp Spoiler Alert!

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #1,548 of 2,970
Very little drift, heatsinks are only warm to the touch. Bias at ~500 +/- 10V for safety right now.

Gentlemen, it sounds fantastic. I've never heard electrostatics before until right now but I think I like them. Just using my iPod with lossy files, certainly has more detail, much less resonant (big issue with ambient music) and there's definitely lots of nice punchy bass. To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement. I'll have some more impressions after more listening and I get everything all cased up.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #1,549 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, the hybrid is up and playing music. Completely immune to AC heater noise from my sloppy wiring too.

I think I might like it better than the sand amp. But it's too soon to tell. I only listened to 3-4 songs. All Rock, and this amp is rocking. Very similar to the sand amp, certainly sharing all the strengths. I'll let those tubes burn overnight and revisit tomorrow.

Thanks for the update!

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #1,550 of 2,970
My Stax SR-303 arrived today - I never heard a Stax before ...

Bought the headphone "blind" and borrowed an amp from a forum-fellow.

Well - this is simply amazing!

So my decision to build the eXStata is now definitely, hope there will be boards soon.

Other important question:
Will somebody offer kits?

I'm living in Germany and some parts might be hard to get for me.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #1,551 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very little drift, heatsinks are only warm to the touch. Bias at ~500 +/- 10V for safety right now.

Gentlemen, it sounds fantastic. I've never heard electrostatics before until right now but I think I like them. Just using my iPod with lossy files, certainly has more detail, much less resonant (big issue with ambient music) and there's definitely lots of nice punchy bass. To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement. I'll have some more impressions after more listening and I get everything all cased up.

Emooze, Which stats are you using??
smile.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #1,552 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Stax SR-303 arrived today - I never heard a Stax before ...

Bought the headphone "blind" and borrowed an amp from a forum-fellow.

Well - this is simply amazing!

So my decision to build the eXStata is now definitely, hope there will be boards soon.

Other important question:
Will somebody offer kits?

I'm living in Germany and some parts might be hard to get for me.

If/how another round of boards or kits will be made available is not determined yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #1,554 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh ok. I blame it on obscure TV tubes messing with my brain...
wink.gif

OT, but a good use of some "worthless" TV tubes here DCPP Amp

Back on topic, I've been listening to my Exstata pretty much daily since I got it up and running and it continues to impress!
o2smile.gif

It does put out a little bit of heat, enough to get the top of my Par-Metal case a little warm to the touch after its been on for a few hours, so I would recommend at least some ventilation when folks are casing one of these up.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,556 of 2,970
Listening Impressions are coming soon.. I can feel it. Lets get some excitement going so we can get that next set of boards ordered. I'm kicking myself for just not picking up the boards and waiting.

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #1,557 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT, but a good use of some "worthless" TV tubes here DCPP Amp

Back on topic, I've been listening to my Exstata pretty much daily since I got it up and running and it continues to impress!
o2smile.gif

It does put out a little bit of heat, enough to get the top of my Par-Metal case a little warm to the touch after its been on for a few hours, so I would recommend at least some ventilation when folks are casing one of these up.

Yes. Just as a reminder the sand amp burns about 35W and the hybrid about 50W. Both should have good ventilation.

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #1,558 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a question. Are the heatsinks on the front taller than the ones in the back?

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #1,559 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening Impressions are coming soon.. I can feel it. Lets get some excitement going so we can get that next set of boards ordered. I'm kicking myself for just not picking up the boards and waiting.

I sure hope so. These guys are awfully quiet.
ph34r.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #1,560 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Just as a reminder the sand amp burns about 35W and the hybrid about 50W. Both should have good ventilation.

That high? I thought that since the 270AX (480V @ 58mA = 27.84VA) is sufficient, power usage would be below 30W.

I hope my custom 30VA unit is not going to be pushed too hard
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back