etymotic vs re0 vs triplefi
Jan 16, 2011 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

killerfrenzi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not really sure which one I should get after my friend telling me I should just save some money since I'm not a crazy audiophile.

My original thought is that i should grab triplefis since I can find a pair for $130 compared to the retail price.
But my friend recommended me Etymotic er6is instead of the tripleFis after I mentioned my second choice to the tripleFis were re0.

He recommended the etymotics since they're kind of like re0s where they kind of lack bass but the treble is nice, but I wouldn't need an amp for the er6is since the impedence is much lower than that on the re0.

I listen to a lot of pop, especially kpop, and techno (I'm starting to dj too).

How do these all compare?

Jan 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 33

Quote:
I'm not really sure which one I should get after my friend telling me I should just save some money since I'm not a crazy audiophile.

My original thought is that i should grab triplefis since I can find a pair for $130 compared to the retail price.
But my friend recommended me Etymotic er6is instead of the tripleFis after I mentioned my second choice to the tripleFis were re0.

He recommended the etymotics since they're kind of like re0s where they kind of lack bass but the treble is nice, but I wouldn't need an amp for the er6is since the impedence is much lower than that on the re0.

I listen to a lot of pop, especially kpop, and techno (I'm starting to dj too).

How do these all compare?

to my ears, the triple fi were comparable to the re0's, though they sounded a tad bit darker than the bright treble based re0's.

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 33
I bought ER-6is for my wife a few years back. For all I know, they sound great, but they don't fit my ears, no matter what tips I use. The body of the phone is too bulky. I just ordered the RE0s, so hopefully I won't be faced with the same issue.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 33
I dont know why people keep spreading rumours about the RE0 lacking bass. Coming from the M50 with bass boost on the E7, i never thought the RE0 lacked bass at all.

Quote:
The Etys and the RE0 are pretty similar in sound signature, being analytical and detailed but lacking bass. The Triple.Fi 10 in comparison have a more V-shaped sound signature and wider soundstage. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 33
You get used to the bass. ER4 have pathetic bass, I think ER6 is similar

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 33
For your genres if music, you should definitely get the Triple Fi 10s. those were my first top tier IEMs and I loved them for what they did; great sound quality for the price.

Jan 16, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 33
Jan 16, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 33
If you can get the dang things to fit, the Triple.fi 10s are great. With the best seal I've been able to achieve, they sound great. The soundstage is very impressive; I sometimes forget I'm using IEMs, it's that good! The replaceable cable is a great feature too (as the cable on the ER6i is very thin and prone to breakage). I liked the ER6i because they had excellent detail, but they rely on a VERY deep seal (and this hurt my ears after a while). The isolation of the Etymotics is probably the best you'll find. However, I found that I just liked the TF10s better (more comfortable, better soundstage, stronger bass).

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 33
Personally, I definitely prefer the Eymotic ER4P to the triple.fi. The triple.fi are nice though and apart from an awkward fit are a very fun earphone. The biggest annoyance for me aside from fit is the recessed mids.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 33
They're really very different iems.  If you love detail, the etys all the way.  If you want some bass thump, it's the TF10s, though fit is an issue for lots of people.

@imackler, glad you're enjoying them.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 33
Maybe not lacking in quality, but certainly in terms of impact and quantity. Those are very much up to the listener's own preferences though.

Quote:
I dont know why people keep spreading rumours about the RE0 lacking bass. Coming from the M50 with bass boost on the E7, i never thought the RE0 lacked bass at all.

Quote:
The Etys and the RE0 are pretty similar in sound signature, being analytical and detailed but lacking bass. The Triple.Fi 10 in comparison have a more V-shaped sound signature and wider soundstage. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
Quote:
I bought ER-6is for my wife a few years back. For all I know, they sound great, but they don't fit my ears, no matter what tips I use. The body of the phone is too bulky. I just ordered the RE0s, so hopefully I won't be faced with the same issue.

That's weird. The ER6is are some of the smallest IEMs I've used. 

maybe it was the triflanges...etymotic only includes one size of single mushroom flanges to try out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back