Etymotic HF3 replacement 'phones
Sep 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

noah1

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 

My fist post here, have been reading for a while, and could do with a little advice please.

My HF3s died a cable ripping death yesterday after 18 months of daily use. The kind manager of the Apple store gave me a full refund onto an itunes card (£135). This leaves me very grateful for the refund but looking for new headphones and restricted to the Apple store, unless I buy elsewhere and accept that I'll probably spend the voucher there another time but it means I have to pony up now and I'd rather not!

I loved the HF3s for the highs and mids and didn't mind the lack of bass. I listen to a bit of everything: lots of guitar based rock and acoustic, female singers, fair bit of hip hop and a good amount of blues and jazz so I'm looking for an all-rounder.

I think the better options seem to be B&W C5s, UE 600vi, NOCS NS800, Harman Kardon AE or Sennheiser CX980i.

I've previously owned:
-Sennheiser CX300 - fine for £30, bit bassy
-Atomic Floyd HiDefDrum - fell out of my ears, broke, too prominent in the bass
-Sennheiser HD25 II - love these but need IEMs to go with them
-Shure SE115 - wasn't really a fan, not sure why
-Etymotic HF3 - great, got a little uncomfortable after 2-3 hours, good isolation, great vocals and guitars, tight but small bass.

Thanks for any help, it's a pain not being able to demo IEMs!

Noah

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 4
Noah,

Welcome to the Forums...

It's an easy choice really. You have already owned and liked the HF3s correct? Yes.

Lets tune em up a bit for you.

Comfort: Research Comply Foam Tips. They give me 8 plus hours of comfort.

Bass: I am sure in the course of 18 months that you changed your filters at least once, right? Have a look at the NRB Mod to tailor the Bass to your liking.

Change: We all like change. But, sometimes we change from the best thing to the not so good thing. Better to maintain your Etymotic HF3s, and further your knowledge, before jumping into something new.

Just my thoughts, Jim

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 4
Ah, I forgot to mention, they no longer sell the HF3s so I'd have to go elsewhere for them, something I'm considering the more I read about the alternatives.

Good suggestions though, I did change the filters (only once though!) and have previously used comply tips on other models and liked them so you're right I should get some more. I'll have a read about the NRB mod too.

Cheers

Sep 15, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Ah, I forgot to mention, they no longer sell the HF3s so I'd have to go elsewhere for them, something I'm considering the more I read about the alternatives.

Good suggestions though, I did change the filters (only once though!) and have previously used comply tips on other models and liked them so you're right I should get some more. I'll have a read about the NRB mod too.

Cheers

That may be a good thing on a couple counts.

First, You can most certainly find them cheaper elsewhere.

Second, If no longer carried at the Apple store... Perhaps Etymotic may be preparing an update. We can all hope, right?

Jim

PS Whatever you end up with... Enjoy Em !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back