Ety MC5 vs FA DBA-02
Sep 26, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
How is the bass in the Ety's compared to the DBAs?  Is it more/less/same?  Any input on the bass of the MC5s would be appreciated.  Thanks

Bad fit, Etys have more.  Good fit, DBAs do.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 22

Quote:
why is everyone obsessed with bass?

Because its important as the foundation of how most notes are presented and is needed for balance and accuracy.  Please don't ask what I mean by accuracy, there's a thread for that.  
wink_face.gif
  I used to be a treble and detail head.  Now for me bass is the base upon which my audio house is built.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 22
Bass or a "fullness of sound" is surely required to make any musical reproduction sound realistic.  Without it, it sounds like you are using cheap earphones.

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
Because its important as the foundation of how most notes are presented and is needed for balance and accuracy.  Please don't ask what I mean by accuracy, there's a thread for that.  
wink_face.gif
  I used to be a treble and detail head.  Now for me bass is the base upon which my audio house is built.

Quote:
Bass or a "fullness of sound" is surely required to make any musical reproduction sound realistic.  Without it, it sounds like you are using cheap earphones.

X3

Sep 26, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 22
Sep 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 22
Nonsense. Bass is no more important than any other frequency.  I vote anyone starting yet another 'I want an iem with good bass' thread be tied up and pushed off a tall building.  I think they call that bass jumping.    

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Nonsense. Bass is no more important than any other frequency.  I vote anyone starting yet another 'I want an iem with good bass' thread be tied up and pushed off a tall building.  I think they call that bass jumping.    

Well, okay then.  What about those crispy detailed highs of stock earbuds?  Is it obsessive to want a better presentation of treble than what stock earbuds provide?

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
That's the quote i will put on the new posters of you with ddms in one ear an hje900 in the other ear for the fan club @ericp buddy .Lol
popcorn.gif

You are really moving up in the fan club administration @ Luco buddy. I hope the MC5 has more bass than the DBA. The DBA was severely lacking for me.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 22
You might have had a bad fit on the DBA-02. A bad fit would make them have pretty lacking bass but a good fit should have them sound nicely. That being said I found the MC5 bass light for my tastes without proper EQ.

Sep 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 22
I can't vouch for the DBA, but as for the MC5 I can say that once you get a hang of the fit with the triple flange tips right (and you will know, since if you don't you won't get any bass at all) there is still not quite enough bass for me with one important caveat: when you are out and about in the city, the Etymotic isolation is high enough that you still hear the bass, unlike with a lot of other earphones where the bass gets lost in the low level rumble of activity around you. So, whereas for home listening the MC5's are never satisfying enough for me, once I'm out and about they seem magically better in comparison.

Also consider, for the price difference between the DBA-02 and the MC5, you can get custom ACS tips for the MC5 - I'm assuming you'd get even better isolation, comfort and sound out of the customs.

Sep 26, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
You might have had a bad fit on the DBA-02. A bad fit would make them have pretty lacking bass but a good fit should have them sound nicely. That being said I found the MC5 bass light for my tastes without proper EQ.

No, you know I am veteran enough to know about good and bad fit; the DBA just didn't do it for me. And I owned the HF5 at one time and enjoyed it's bass more than I enjoyed the DBA's bass. The DBA and I just weren't  meant to be, just like the TF10 and I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back