ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 19, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #2,312 of 3,210
Hello, I purchased both the suede and the perforated pads, but did not receive the tacky mounting parts for the factory pads. I would love to have these if they were supposed to be included.

I did find several units that hadn't had those packed when I did a spot check, so sorry about that. Email info@mrspeakers.com and we'll send them to you...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 19, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #2,313 of 3,210
Ok, I finally got around to doing my cable comparison - MrSpeakers DUM, MrSpeakers Vivo, Moon Audio Silver Dragon, Norne Silvergarde S3 all in XLR

B.L.U.F.: The DUM was outclassed. The Vivo was very good although at times a bit ripe in the bass. Silver Dragon disappointed. Silvergarde S3 excelled.

TL;DR version:

This is my setup
Audioquest Diamond USB -> Singxer SU-1 KTE to Holo Spring KTE via I2S (1 ft. Blue Jeans Belden HDMI) -> 0.5 m Wireworld Platinum Eclipse XLR -> Violectric V281 -> XLR headphone cable -> Ether 2 w/suede pads.

Playback was via Roon, upsampling set to max PCM rate (power of 2), smooth, minimum phase filter (still experimenting with these settings). Holo Spring set to NOS. Pre-gain input on Violectric set to -6db.

These are the tracks I compared:
- Schubert Piano Quintet "The Trout" Op 114, fifth movement recorded by Andras Schiff and Hagen Quartet - 44.1/16 FLAC
- Tchaikovsky Symphony no. 6 "Pathetique", 3rd movement recorded by Evegeny Mravinsky and Leningrad Philharmonic - HD Tracks 96/24 FLAC
- Comin' Home Baby by Herbie Mann on At the Village Gate - 44.1/16 FLAC
- Space Cowboy by Kacey Musgraces on The Golden Hour - HDTracks 96/24 FLAC
- Get Lucky by Daft Punk on Random Access Memories - HDTracks 88.2/24 FLAC

I primarily listened to a section of a song, would swap cables, relisten to that same section with the other cable. I would do this with all cables and go back and forth mixing up the order of the cables I listened just to better solidify my understanding of how each cable compared to the others. I would then do this with the next section of the song and then eventually move on to different songs. I kept the headphones on my head the whole time since I'm become quite adept at swapping cables with the HPs still on my head and could swap cables in 15-30 seconds. This is a time consuming process, but hey what better way to be obsessive compulsive about this hobby :wink:

Two cables that had the best microdetail and definition were the DUM and the S3. By detail and definition, I don't mean tilted up upper end, but for me it's being able to distinctly hear the start and stop of a notes (regardless of the instrument) which allows me to better enjoy all the different musical lines happening in the music. The Silver Dragon was a surprising disappointment here. One thing to note on the Silver Dragon cable I had is that it was built with the adapters in the middle of the cable so that you can swap out different terminations. I can't imagine this benefits sound. I was even concerned to the point of using some DeOxIt on the connectors (and separated/reinserted several times to try to work it in) in case there was any corrosion or just patina on the connectors. It didn't seem to make a difference.

For me, I also find that the soundstaging ability also largely goes along with a cables microdetail and definition capability, although the tonal balance also affects this a bit. The Vivo was still very good at this but on some tracks, it seemed as if the Vivo had a bit less air on top and sometimes it didn't soundstage as well. I also found the bass to sometimes be a touch ripe on some tracks; it was often enjoyable too, but it sometimes seemed to make things just a touch muddy or wooly. Maybe this is because I was also using the suede pads, so perhaps the Vivo is a better match to the original pads.

For my experience, I didn't find much fault with the S3 other than the price. It's my reference since I haven't heard any better (I have done similar comparisons on my other headphones with black dragon, cardas, ZMF michanikos, hifiman stock, zmf stock). Plus, the build on the Norne cables seems more like a bespoke product than any of the others (not that that benefits sound quality). I wanted something very different from my other cables so I went for the purple sleeves.

As a caveat to cable upgrades, I always caution that sound differences are relatively minor so if you haven't optimized your upstream components (or even which headphones you are using), you may not want to spend a lot on cables. The Vivo is a very good one, perhaps the best stock cable I've heard (although the bar is pretty low in my experience...). My experiences are with my equipment, with my ears, and my value system. That being said, I believe that if you want to extract the most performance out of your system, you do have to upgrade your cables (hey, don't forget the interconnect from your DAC to your amp...). As always YMMV.

Gw8Cpb1.jpg

Cables from Left to right - DUM, Vivo, Silver Dragon, Silvergarde S3

sx994tR.jpg

MrSpeakers DUM cable

hqxacQp.jpg

MrSpeakers Vivo cable

sBXkH9k.jpg

Moon Audio Silver Dragon

hUA8ZB9.jpg

Norne Silvergarde S3

(cross posted to the Norne thread)

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #2,314 of 3,210
It seems like my perforated pads have lost a good chunk of their stick, to where they peel off with little to no effort. I have cleaned the pads and the cups with the alcohol wipes, but it didn't help at all. I'm also storing them securely on the wax paper included. Any recommendations?

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #2,315 of 3,210
It seems like my perforated pads have lost a good chunk of their stick, to where they peel off with little to no effort. I have cleaned the pads and the cups with the alcohol wipes, but it didn't help at all. I'm also storing them securely on the wax paper included. Any recommendations?
I have this problem as well. I've wiped them with the alcohol pads but to no avail. I really don't want to be a hater as I have loved every product from MrSpeakers but IMHO, the pad system for the Ether 2 seems like a hit or miss, installation wise. Comfort and Sound wise, they are an upgrade in comfort and a little side-grade in sound based on preference.

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #2,316 of 3,210
I have this problem as well. I've wiped them with the alcohol pads but to no avail. I really don't want to be a hater as I have loved every product from MrSpeakers but IMHO, the pad system for the Ether 2 seems like a hit or miss, installation wise. Comfort and Sound wise, they are an upgrade in comfort and a little side-grade in sound based on preference.

I found the new pads to add too much smoothness to the sound signature for my liking, but I also agree that the pads do not stay on firmly.

Jun 20, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #2,317 of 3,210
If anyone has an issue with pad stick please contact info@mrspeakers.com, we'll replace it for you and we'd like to get it back to inspect it. We've had units in continuous use for almost a year that work fine but if there are problems we need to inspect it to ensure we understand what can go wrong.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #2,318 of 3,210
Add the QUAD PA-One+ as a potential amp choice for the Ether 2's.

You'd think a tube amp would be a lousy choice for a planar but not here. Lots of bass and some extra tube harmonics in the mids to thicken the sound up. Rag 2 is probably the best amp for the headphone but I'm actually having a hard time pulling the trigger because I liked what I was hearing on the QUAD PA-One+. Thankfully I can go the Source AV and hear the Pa-One+ again under better listening conditions.

Jun 26, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #2,320 of 3,210
Planars are a purely resistive load and usually fairly low impedance. This combination is ideal for any well designed transformer-coupled tube amp.

That's true with the caveat the output impedance of the transformers is reasonably close to that of the load. If the output impedance is much higher than the headphone's impdenance, power transfer can be greatly reduced. E2 is ~22ohm and will work well with outputs between 8 and aroudn 40 ohms, outside that range efficiency may be too compromised to get adequate SPL unless the amp is very powerful. For that reason, hybrid designs can be more reliable.

Jun 27, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #2,322 of 3,210
Finally got round to purchasing the new suede and perforated earpads for Ether 2. Firstly I have to say that the instructional videos are both excellent and essential viewing for anyone installing the new pads. As a result of watching these I had no trouble removing the standard pads, installing either of the new pads or attaching the adaptors to the standard pads. I really like this new attachment system which is very easy to use. My one nitpick: please include not one but 2 pieces of round greaseproof paper. The 'burger system', one on each side of the greaseproof paper is ok but makes it difficult to put the pads back into the sealable plastic bag for storage. The greaseproof paper we have at home (from Asda UK) doesn't stick to the pads as well as the one you supply!
Comfort wise both of the new sets of pads seem softer than the standard pads with the suede pads being particularly nice and comfortable. I am not one of those who experienced major discomfort with the standard pads. When new the clamp did seem a little bit too firm but over time that feeling has gone and I find the standard pads easy to wear now for long sessions - so they obviously 'break in' over time.
Sound quality wise I broadly agree with what has been posted previously: the suede pads give a smoother richer sound and the perforated pads a lighter 'airier' sound. Of the two new pads I definitely prefer the suede pads. At first I thought them superior to the standard pads but now I' m not so sure. Having heard all three sets of pads I'm coming to the conclusion that Dan got the tonal balance of the original pads bang on. I'll need to do some more A/B listening tests, but whatever the outcome I'll be keeping the suede pads as at least an alternative, even if they don't become my first choice. The perforated pads are not really my cup of tea: they offer a lighter more overtly detailed sound than the standard pads (think Sennheiser HD800 detail without the edge). I guess they will appeal to those who have rich sounding gear, detail freaks or those people (not me) who think the Ether 2's are lacking sparkle in the high frequencies.
I'm selling my perforated set: £65 including postage, payment by PayPal (UK buyers only). Please PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #2,323 of 3,210
For me, the suede pads get used for rock/metal a lot, the perforated pads for acoustic material, and the stock pads are a great all arounder. I seem to use a pad for a week or two then get in the mood for a change.

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #2,325 of 3,210
I find the stock pad dull , is the perforated pad will make a bit bright ? Or my ether 2 defects?
The Ether 2 may initially sound dull if you're used to brighter headphones. Give them some good burn in time (100+ hours) and some good time listening to them to get your brain/ears used to them. You might come to enjoy them, or you might find you don't like their sound signature and that's fine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back