ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #2,326 of 3,210
That's true with the caveat the output impedance of the transformers is reasonably close to that of the load. If the output impedance is much higher than the headphone's impdenance, power transfer can be greatly reduced. E2 is ~22ohm and will work well with outputs between 8 and aroudn 40 ohms, outside that range efficiency may be too compromised to get adequate SPL unless the amp is very powerful. For that reason, hybrid designs can be more reliable.
Hey, new to the E2 discussion here as I will be receiving a pair from another user today. In regards to the output between 8 and 40ohms, is this a reference to the amplifier output impedance, specifically OTL tube amps? I'm under the impression that the majority of headphone amplifers' output impedance is closer to the 0.5-1.0ohm range, with the exception of some (Aune x7s comes to mind at ~10ohm). Is this suggesting the E2 will pair better with my X7s than the THX 789 from an impedance/power standpoint?

Hope my question makes sense, I'm a bit newer to everything.

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,327 of 3,210
Hey, new to the E2 discussion here as I will be receiving a pair from another user today. In regards to the output between 8 and 40ohms, is this a reference to the amplifier output impedance, specifically OTL tube amps? I'm under the impression that the majority of headphone amplifers' output impedance is closer to the 0.5-1.0ohm range, with the exception of some (Aune x7s comes to mind at ~10ohm). Is this suggesting the E2 will pair better with my X7s than the THX 789 from an impedance/power standpoint?

Hope my question makes sense, I'm a bit newer to everything.

My comments on impedance were only for tube amps with output transformers, not OTL designs; with transformers you want the output impedance to be as close as possible to your headphone for max power transfer. Solid state output should be 1 ohm or less.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 30, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #2,328 of 3,210
My comments on impedance were only for tube amps with output transformers, not OTL designs; with transformers you want the output impedance to be as close as possible to your headphone for max power transfer. Solid state output should be 1 ohm or less.
Thanks for the clarification and info. Another question if I may, are the perforated pads going to bring the treble forward at all? It looks like the pads on this pair are the original non-perf synthetic leather and I find the treble to be quite veiled/recessed. Are these pads glued on unlike the new peel-ables?

I demo'd the Ether2 at CanJam and don't recall the treble being so far back. Listening on a THX 789 fwiw.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,330 of 3,210
Thanks for the clarification and info. Another question if I may, are the perforated pads going to bring the treble forward at all? It looks like the pads on this pair are the original non-perf synthetic leather and I find the treble to be quite veiled/recessed. Are these pads glued on unlike the new peel-ables?

I demo'd the Ether2 at CanJam and don't recall the treble being so far back. Listening on a THX 789 fwiw.

Yes. If the stock pad is too dark for your taste the perforated pad will liven it up. If you have further questions on this just PM me with the SN. The factory pads use a detachable adhesive, it can be taken on and off a few times but the stick will degrade with repetition.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,331 of 3,210
I felt that the Ether 2 was too smooth and polite on the Ayre QB9 + EAR HP4 combo (great synergy with HD800 though). Swapped to the Meitner MA-1 + Studio Monolith and all is right with the world. More extended highs, open and dynamic... just what the doctor ordered :)

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #2,333 of 3,210
Guys something is wrong with me. I glued the same pads on after taking them off.

I was surprised to see the beautiful CarbonFiber under the cups! I already love these suede pads.
I really love the suede pads and haven't taken them off since putting them on. Love the sound and the added comfort!

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #2,337 of 3,210
Anybody who uses a beyer as a reference headphone will think of the Ether2 as very warm.
Assuming you're referring to the Ether/IDSD review linked above:

Perhaps, but he was saying warmer than Ether CX, and he calls the CX 'more neutral'. Odd that at one point he says the CX treble is 'more attentive to the treble' and then later, talks about the E2 treble being more extended. And he also lauds how clean the treble is on E2.

I would agree that E2 is not a bright headphone. I would call it neutral with a little treble roll-off. Maybe as far 'below' neutral in its highs as Utopia is 'above' neutral.

I was more surprised with his description of of the headstage '...crunches it into the headphone...' I find the E2 headstage quite expansive and very 3D, outside my head. So my impressions of headstage are basically diametrically opposed to his. Although that may have to do with differences in our chains. Or maybe his 'pre-production' unit (or mine) isn't representative. I do know that when I paired E2 w/ LP/Siemens NOS (E88CC & CCa) I became really impressed with the spaciousness of the headphone. Noteably improved over my SS amps (Bryston BHA-1 & Violectric V280). Much more spacious than Utopia & HD-6xx, more spacious than Auteur & Empyrean, comparable to HEKv2. HEKv2 is wider/taller while E2 is deeper.

Overall, this review kinda wanders around and seems to contradict itself in places. And the whole 'review three products at once' thing doesn't seem like a great idea. The most solid take-away for me is that the E2/IDSD pairing might not be very good. I'd be interested to hear from others who have this pairing or who have had extensive auditions with it.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #2,338 of 3,210
Not the same, but I have the Cx and AFC and they both sound a bit dull to me on the my iDSD micro BL. It just doesn’t produce much in the way of dynamics or impact with those headphones. I far prefer the Lyr 3 and Jotunheim. Conversely the iDSD is great with the HD6XX, Emu-Teak, T50RP, and many others. I can imagine the same dynamics issue being true for the Ether 2.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #2,339 of 3,210
Assuming you're referring to the Ether/IDSD review linked above:

Perhaps, but he was saying warmer than Ether CX, and he calls the CX 'more neutral'. Odd that at one point he says the CX treble is 'more attentive to the treble' and then later, talks about the E2 treble being more extended. And he also lauds how clean the treble is on E2.

I would agree that E2 is not a bright headphone. I would call it neutral with a little treble roll-off. Maybe as far 'below' neutral in its highs as Utopia is 'above' neutral.

I was more surprised with his description of of the headstage '...crunches it into the headphone...' I find the E2 headstage quite expansive and very 3D, outside my head. So my impressions of headstage are basically diametrically opposed to his. Although that may have to do with differences in our chains. Or maybe his 'pre-production' unit (or mine) isn't representative. I do know that when I paired E2 w/ LP/Siemens NOS (E88CC & CCa) I became really impressed with the spaciousness of the headphone. Noteably improved over my SS amps (Bryston BHA-1 & Violectric V280). Much more spacious than Utopia & HD-6xx, more spacious than Auteur & Empyrean, comparable to HEKv2. HEKv2 is wider/taller while E2 is deeper.

Overall, this review kinda wanders around and seems to contradict itself in places. And the whole 'review three products at once' thing doesn't seem like a great idea. The most solid take-away for me is that the E2/IDSD pairing might not be very good. I'd be interested to hear from others who have this pairing or who have had extensive auditions with it.
I am not a fan, of that reviewer at all. There are better reviewers and reviews, and I feel it is best to let him learn a bit more, before taking his word.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #2,340 of 3,210
looks like Joshua Valour just got his hands on these, if anyone is interested in what he has to say. Josh seems to gravitate more towards more "colored" or "punchy" headphones though.

Looks like anybody, can be a reviewer. Even if you don't have a clue, like that guy. I feel sorry for the people that take his word, and are missing out on lots of really good gear. Sorry for the rant, but I just can't stand it, when want to be reviewers, turn people off, really good stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back