ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #2,281 of 3,211
Nice. :)

I was undecided between the SPL Phonitor X or V281, until i read this review of the Ether 2 here:

https://www.fairaudio.de/test/mrspeakers-ether-2-magnetostatischer-kopfhoerer/

The interesting part about the 2 amps roughly translates to :

"It was practicall, that at the same time I still had to test the bearish 3-watt transistor SPL Phonitor XE , which would have been the ideal cast with its neutral authoritarian gait and in particular its unperturbed analytical presence in the midrange and treble. Had not a hifi-colleague paired the Ether 2 for fun with the Violectric V281 (price: 1.999 Euro). Voilá: Just a bit more resolving and more concise in the high tone, without robbing the elegant sound of Ether 2 analytically of his charm, the MrSpeakers had found in the power cube of Lake Constance his perfect counterpart. Everything there what you need, no false effects, no discoloration, no bugs in frequency, only music, music, music. Quite clear: This cloud filled with wonderfully "real" music around the listener's head, to which the MrSpeakers Ether 2 is capable, clearly carries the number 7 with carefully seasoned electronics."

...which in the end helped me with my decision to buy the V281.
It should arrive tomorrow and ill post some initial impressions compared to my NFB-28.18, WA7d and IFI xCAN/LG G7 Fit combo.

So far, after a month of owning it, the Ether 2 is still my favorite headphone, compared to HE1000, HD800 SD, LCD2 Classic(Dekoni Hybrid) and Aeon Flow Open.
It sounds just right as someone here mentioned before and the faults of the other headphones become glaringly obvious when i listen to them after i listened to the Ether 2 for a few days.
And even the sound stage which many people believe to be only medium sized is basically reproducing the recording "as is" and adjusts with the recording (and can get huge) which finally made me understand
what people mean when they describe the HD800`s and HE1000`s sound stage as artificially enlarged since they are always large on those cans.

I simply have not heard a better reproduction of instruments on any other headphone - which becomes glaringly obvious in Stevie Ray Vaughans`s rendition of Little Wing.
Audiophile bull/marketing terms like "involving" and "engaging" become the only way i can describe what i feel when i listen to this song on the Ether 2.
You owe it to yourself to have a listen if you got these cans. :)

Phew, this got way longer than i intended...
More will follow in the coming months when i feel more confident to write up a coherent review.

P.s.: Dan (if i may call you so) - have you heard the Ether 2 on Violectrics V281 while you were in Munich?
And if so what were your impressions compared to other pairings? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #2,282 of 3,211
I'd also like to point out that the stock pads have just the right amount of clamp force now. Please let the headphones break in before buying the new pads, in case you were just worried about the clamping force that is. After a couple of months they feel just right. Then again, I know how impatient people can get.. :p

I also agree about the soundstage. This headphone sounds realistic.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #2,283 of 3,211
I can confirm the part about the pads needing time to break in and reducing the clamp force.
The shop where i bought it from sent me their broken in display unit for comparison.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #2,284 of 3,211
Has anyone had the Burson DA-160 DAC? This is the only DAC that I've ever had, and I'm getting to the point where my system is only for the Ether 2. Any recommendations?

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #2,285 of 3,211
Has anyone had the Burson DA-160 DAC? This is the only DAC that I've ever had, and I'm getting to the point where my system is only for the Ether 2. Any recommendations?

The schiit MB DACS have been a favorite of mine. The modi MB is crazy good for a budget level dac...no way it should sound and perform as well as it does at that price. The new Gungnir MB is an end game product IMO and I actually prefer it to the flagship yggy.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #2,286 of 3,211
The schiit MB DACS have been a favorite of mine. The modi MB is crazy good for a budget level dac...no way it should sound and perform as well as it does at that price. The new Gungnir MB is an end game product IMO and I actually prefer it to the flagship yggy.

I'm not sure if the Modi MB DAC would outperform the Burson DA-160.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #2,288 of 3,211
P.s.: Dan (if i may call you so) - have you heard the Ether 2 on Violectrics V281 while you were in Munich?
And if so what were your impressions compared to other pairings? Thanks!

I have heard it and was very pleasantly surprised, very dynamic, clean without treble bite, solid bass, great soundstage. I may add this amp to our store...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 14, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #2,289 of 3,211
I'd also like to point out that the stock pads have just the right amount of clamp force now. Please let the headphones break in before buying the new pads, in case you were just worried about the clamping force that is. After a couple of months they feel just right. Then again, I know how impatient people can get.. :p

I was impatient.:ksc75smile: My solution was just to place the E2's on the included MrSpeakers case overnight. Little stretch reduced the clamp force enough and it's super comfortable now.

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,293 of 3,211
Sorry for being dense here potentially: I had searched the thread a bit and wasn't able to find it..where did Dan post these charts showing the differences between the stock pad vs suede vs perforated? I have seen some charts circulating on some other forums and I just want to make sure I'm looking at the correct information. Thanks!

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #2,294 of 3,211
Jun 16, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #2,295 of 3,211
Has anyone felt the need to upgrade from the stock cable?
I just bought a Dana Lazuli Reference. Had one for my Abyss and always noticed something lacking when I used anything different. I'm curious to see if it's as noticeable on the Ether 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back