ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 12, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #2,267 of 3,210
what is the configuration 4 pin balanced xlr for ether 2 ?
4-pin XLR wiring is pretty standard. See this post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-hifiman-cable-help-needed.901418/#post-14818095

or this image:

Male4PinXLR.JPG

Probably best to post such questions here:

https://www.head-fi.org/forums/diy-do-it-yourself-discussions.6/

GLTY

Jun 12, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #2,269 of 3,210

This is the left stock pad. I swapped pads and followed the instructions to the letter. The right pad went on "better" than this and I really was extremely careful. It lined up properly, it feels secured... I really did the best I could do but this is what roughly half the left pad looks like what. What did I do wrong?

It looks like that you're having a little bit of trouble getting the pads centered onto the face of the cup. The trick is to let the end of your fingers protrude around the edge of the cup so that when you place the pad on it can only go on in a centered fashion. As the the pad goes on and you feel that you've got it centered use the tips of your fingers to go ahead and press down and finish the process. It's really pretty easy after you've done it a few times and get the hang of it.

Jun 12, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #2,270 of 3,210
Just received my suede pads. Installation was easy with the provided tools. Didn't realize the interior frame of the headphone was made of carbon fiber. Neat.

Difference between stock pads and the suede was more than I expected and I'm 100% happy. The comfort level is higher on my head and I prefer the sound signature over stock. Bass and low mids are probably tighter on the stock pads, there's a little more bloom there with the suede, but the bass is still very detailed, I like it. It's a smoother sound and prefer the treble on the suede also. Amplitude dynamics that Ether 2 does very well are on better display with the stock pads but I can deal with that, easily.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #2,271 of 3,210
Jun 12, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #2,272 of 3,210
Thanks, LCMusicLover.
I need to know the pin configuration in mrspeakers connector, I can’t find it on google.
Sorry, I guess you mean on the headphone side? That's not an 'XLR' connector (although it is 4-pin). Hence my confusion :)

I saw a Reddit post which says the pinout is provided on their website, but I can't check, as the site appears to be down right now.

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #2,273 of 3,210
Sorry, I guess you mean on the headphone side? That's not an 'XLR' connector (although it is 4-pin). Hence my confusion :)

I saw a Reddit post which says the pinout is provided on their website, but I can't check, as the site appears to be down right now.
Site is back up. Info about connector pinouts here:

https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/cable-jack.html

ETHER and Alpha headphones all use the same pinout. We recommend purchasing at least one jack to make plug assembly easier, as the jack is used to unscrew and screw the plug shut. For your convenience jacks are available for purchase on our accessories tab.

LEFT:
  • 1 = L+
  • 2 = L- (or ground for single ended cables)
  • 3 = open
  • 4 = open
RIGHT:
  • 1 = R+
  • 2 = R- (or ground for single ended cables)
  • 3 = open
  • 4 = open

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #2,275 of 3,210
Site is back up. Info about connector pinouts here:

https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/cable-jack.html

ETHER and Alpha headphones all use the same pinout. We recommend purchasing at least one jack to make plug assembly easier, as the jack is used to unscrew and screw the plug shut. For your convenience jacks are available for purchase on our accessories tab.

LEFT:
  • 1 = L+
  • 2 = L- (or ground for single ended cables)
  • 3 = open
  • 4 = open
RIGHT:
  • 1 = R+
  • 2 = R- (or ground for single ended cables)
  • 3 = open
  • 4 = open
Thank you very very much.

Jun 14, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #2,276 of 3,210
Anyone have a good comparison of the Ether 2 to the AFO? I only had a short audition of the Ether 2 at Can Jam this year. I liked the speed of the Ether 2, but I got the sense of a bit of treble veil. I'm looking for an eventual upgrade to the AFO, which over time I've come to appreciate more and more. I'm looking for a fast headphone with lots of plankton/detail retrieval but also strong bass response.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #2,277 of 3,210
I liked the speed of the Ether 2, but I got the sense of a bit of treble veil.

What amp and source were you listening to? On Jotunheim I wouldn't describe E2 treble as veiled, especially with stock pads. With suede pads....maybe. I'd E2 are darker than the original Ether Flow, but not really so much so than AFO that I recall.

I haven't spent a lot of time with AFO but the limited session I did at The Source AV my impression was E2 was the more dynamic, clear sounding headphone with the larger soundstage and better imaging. AFO is more laidback, less dimensional but still had a nice signature and high comfort. Phantaminum, who sold me my E2's, has owned both AFO and E2 and can comment more on the differences.

For plankton+strong bass, E2 + Jot (or eventually Rag 2) are great combos. Depending on how much plankton perhaps a more detailed DAC (Gumby or Yggy), assuming you're looking for a more dry sound with max detail. If plankton is the most important thing Utopia + Yggy is pretty damn detailed

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #2,278 of 3,210
I heard it only briefly from what looked like an Yggy and Rag 1. It sounded pretty good, but it was very loud and in the main show room and hard to get a sense of detail. I really like the tuning of the AFO, but am looking for a bit more dynamics and more detail retrieval.

I'm still new at this hobby and learning more with every purchase. I'm currently not trying to get too dry/analytical of a sound. From your description E2 sounds like a good improvement on the AFO.

The Utopia is definitely under consideration. I need to have another listen to that as well.

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #2,279 of 3,210
I heard it only briefly from what looked like an Yggy and Rag 1

Can’t comment on Yggy but E2 on Rag 1 + Gumby wasn’t my cup of tea. Definitely not a V shaped sound. Good mids and with EQ it may have had possibilities but Rag 2 just blew Rag 1 away for me permanently.

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #2,280 of 3,210
I just purchased a Violectric HPA V100 and its a wonderful amplifier pairing with the Ether 2 (I had the V181 at one point). I'd recommend it to anyone, and even though they are hard to find Lake People created the G109 and RS 02 Reference Series that uses the same technology as the V100. It really brings out the Ether 2's dynamics and bass texture/detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back