ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
May 22, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2,176 of 3,210
Just installed the Suede pads, a couple quick impressions.

Installation was super easy.
A step up in comfort.
Soundstage is definitely wider.
Bass has more impact.
Vocals feel more spacious and smooth.
Treble is smoother as well.

One negative is that the pads don't feel or look super premium. ZMF pads, on the other hand, feel and look fantastic: these look and feel okay. The sound makes up for it though.

May 22, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #2,177 of 3,210
Good to hear! I've ordered the faux suede pads, mainly to get better comfort as I'm finding the stock pads pretty uncomfortable.

I'm surprised there's no real leather/suede option for the Ether 2. The leather pads for my Alpha Dogs and LCD2s look and feel great. The stock Ether 2 pads look and feel pretty poor really, given the price of the phones. Are the sound properties of synthetic pads superior?

May 22, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #2,178 of 3,210
Good to hear! I've ordered the faux suede pads, mainly to get better comfort as I'm finding the stock pads pretty uncomfortable.

I'm surprised there's no real leather/suede option for the Ether 2. The leather pads for my Alpha Dogs and LCD2s look and feel great. The stock Ether 2 pads look and feel pretty poor really, given the price of the phones. Are the sound properties of synthetic pads superior?

You can't weld leather to the flexible plate required to make the system work.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 22, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,180 of 3,210
But you could have an appropriate material permanently attached to the inside of leather pads that, in turn, attached to the headphones?

Then the appropriate material would separate from the leather ear pads over time and we’d all be on Dan’s front porch with pitch forks and torches.

May 22, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #2,181 of 3,210
Then the appropriate material would separate from the leather ear pads over time and we’d all be on Dan’s front porch with pitch forks and torches.

...and my HOA specifically bans protestors with pitchforks and torches!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
May 22, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,182 of 3,210
Got a pair of each of the new pads on the way, not because of need, but just in case.
The E2's sit comfy on my noggin and sound....well, we all know how they sound. Got the Woo Audio Fireflies set-up with Siemens ECC 82's in the power block and sometimes i can't believe what i'm hearing (Hytrons & RCA Clear-tops arriving soon).
As my 1st pair of high-end cans i think i did well (U2 Dan), quick question is anybody using these with another brand of cable.
Thnx

May 22, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #2,183 of 3,210
Got a pair of each of the new pads on the way, not because of need, but just in case.
The E2's sit comfy on my noggin and sound....well, we all know how they sound. Got the Woo Audio Fireflies set-up with Siemens ECC 82's in the power block and sometimes i can't believe what i'm hearing (Hytrons & RCA Clear-tops arriving soon).
As my 1st pair of high-end cans i think i did well (U2 Dan), quick question is anybody using these with another brand of cable.
Thnx

Wow, for your first pair of high end HPs, you did really well.

I have a pair of Norne S3 on order for my E2. I'll post my comparison once I have a chance to play with them. Generally speaking, I've found a Norne silver to be my favorite cable with my LCD-4, Auteur, HEK V2 so I'm very hopeful it will be the same case with the E2. That being said, in the scheme of things, cable differences are relatively subtle compared to equipment changes (or even pad changes), but in my experience so far, if you really want to extract the most out of what you have, then you also have to optimize your cables too.

May 23, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #2,184 of 3,210
Thnx
I am using the Forza Audio Noir Hybrid HPC which I originally purchased for use with my Ether Flow Open's. Build quality is excellent and IMO it offers superior resolution of detail and layering/space compared to the supplied Vivo cable, which is perfectly decent but sounds a little homogenous to my ears. A couple of caveats to anyone thinking of buying the Forza: it took an age to run in properly (I didn't keep a record but maybe a couple of months of listening 2/3 hours a night). Also Forza Audio is a one man company so a little patience waiting for your delivery may be required.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #2,186 of 3,210

hmmm. They manage to attach leather uppers to the soles of shoes that cost a lot less than these ear pads. And they get a tad more wear and tear but generally stay together.

May 25, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #2,187 of 3,210
Personally, I don't think the Ether 2 is too dark at all. Treble seems very present. So, I would be interested in the slightly warmer sound and softer fit that the suede pads offer. But, my DIY/fine motor skills are ****, and I have zero confidence in myself to replace the pads correctly. I'm going to wait for braver users than me to report back....
It's super simple and I haven't had any issues switching between the suede and perforated pads. Just switched back over to the perforated actually. Haven't gone back to the original pads yet.

May 25, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #2,189 of 3,210
It's super simple and I haven't had any issues switching between the suede and perforated pads. Just switched back over to the perforated actually. Haven't gone back to the original pads yet.

What do you think about the perforated pads in relation to the suede?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back