ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Nov 22, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #871 of 3,209
From 2.5K up that's about a 4dB drop in high frequency output up to about 10KHz, which means Tyll had a V-Shaped response relative to the other production unit, so Tyll's eq will sound pretty different on production units, which are effectively lighter in the bass relative to the midrange by close to 4dB.

Off for family time, for those enjoying the holiday tonight, bon appetite!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 22, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #872 of 3,209
Yes, but it is more about the existence of 4k peak. Slight mid-bass bump and bass roll-off still exist over 7 different Utopias. See the attached...
...I have yet to see Ether 2 measurement...
I’d like to see those measurements as well. It would be great to see measurements for E2 & competitors produced on the same rig following the same methodology.

To my (admittedly un-schooled) eyes, the mid-bass hump to sub-bass roll-off shown on the Inner Fidelity graphs, and also in CSkippy’s Utopia pad-rolling thread, seems fairly mild. That is in comparison to Inner Fidelity graphs for other well-regarded headphones e.g., HD-600/650/6xx/800s or Beyer T1. You have to go to some of the LCD or HEK measurements to see notably flatter curves in the bass region.

But TBH, I can’t claim to have experience or expertise in interpreting such graphs.

Nov 22, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #873 of 3,209
Cavalli Liquid Platinum with my new MrSpeakers Ether2. A match made in audio heaven.

Attachments

• LP.jpg
    LP.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #874 of 3,209
Cavalli Liquid Platinum with my new MrSpeakers Ether2. A match made in audio heaven.
Well, I look forward to experiencing heaven next week with LP/Gold Lions/E2 (and others of course).

Nov 22, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #875 of 3,209
From 2.5K up that's about a 4dB drop in high frequency output up to about 10KHz, which means Tyll had a V-Shaped response relative to the other production unit, so Tyll's eq will sound pretty different on production units, which are effectively lighter in the bass relative to the midrange by close to 4dB.

Off for family time, for those enjoying the holiday tonight, bon appetite!
Enjoying great music with the great Ether2

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #876 of 3,209
Well, I look forward to experiencing heaven next week with LP/Gold Lions/E2 (and others of course).

Let us know what you think for sure. I am thinking about selling my massdrop thx amp, and getting this amp instead for my work setup. Hopefully you have better luck than I did with the gold lion tubes, I didn't care for them too much.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #877 of 3,209
Let us know what you think for sure. I am thinking about selling my massdrop thx amp, and getting this amp instead for my work setup. Hopefully you have better luck than I did with the gold lion tubes, I didn't care for them too much.
Well, the Gold Lions are a blind purchase, based on comments/impressions by a couple users who liked the combo. LP will be my first tube amp (well, hybrid). Toe in the water :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #879 of 3,209
Has anyone used these yet? Why is there so much discussion on the price? I've heard that these are like a junior voce and was wondering if there's any truth to that. I listened to the voces once and they are unlike any other electrostatic headphone I've heard.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #880 of 3,209
Has anyone used these yet? Why is there so much discussion on the price? I've heard that these are like a junior voce and was wondering if there's any truth to that. I listened to the voces once and they are unlike any other electrostatic headphone I've heard.

Check back in the thread. Several people have them and are commenting on the sound, etc...

I've had them for a few days and they are impressive to say the least. Early impressions for me is the E2's have some of the best qualities of planars and e-stats.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #883 of 3,209
Taking a metal journal through the Master quality tracks of TIDAL today: Mastered by Essential: Master Metal.
Ether 2 handles Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Megadeath and Slayer with equal grace as it does Bach and Beethoven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back