ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #167 of 3,210
I heard 2 different views on it. Josh vaylor, dms, and zeos all said it is worth it for the build alone not sound. And that the sound stage was still prettt narrow and intimate which is frustrating. And then the first review on headfi said its spacious lol?...

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #168 of 3,210
The Ether 2 I tried at the Moon Audio booth (on Friday morning) had boomy bass and other issues, I didn't like it. I tried several others that sounded great. They didn't all receive the proper burn in time, though Dan said less time is needed for the Ether 2 than for the Ether Flow (which needed 200h).

Yeah, the headphones were finished being built on Wed and shipped out for Th delivery. We had a few burn-in related concerns on Friday, but by Saturday the headphones had pretty much settled in. Sorry for anyone who had a sub-optimal listen. Drew said his unit sounded better Saturday as did the headamp and Schiit units. We just ran out the clock to pre-burn alll the units.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #170 of 3,210
one person decided to just unplug our gear to hook up his own source. A few people definitely were not following reasonable show etiquette.
That was me, I apologize. I had my reasons, was careful, and restored it properly, but I indeed should have asked first. Sorry for crossing the line.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #171 of 3,210
Probably from the MrSpeakers haters over on some other forum... Been reading that forum recently and damn they really hate him a lot lol... Seems very disparaging compared to other early impressions.

Those are my impressions; I used them out of a couple different systems and had consistent impressions. I talked to a couple other people at the show whose impressions I trust and they agreed so I don’t think I’m alone in these impressions, it’s more likely they just haven’t spoken out against it. I personally actually don’t like posting negative impressions on Head-Fi because it’s usually led to accusations that I’m biased against a certain brand when in actuality, I really don’t care what company a headphone comes from—if a headphone sounds good it sounds good, and if a headphone sounds bad it sounds bad. I think it’s silly to hate a certain brand because they’re a certain brand, it’s more likely there are legitimate reasons to not like a headphone and those characteristics permeate throughout the brand as a house sound.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #172 of 3,210
Those are my impressions; I used them out of a couple different systems and had consistent impressions. I talked to a couple other people at the show whose impressions I trust and they agreed so I don’t think I’m alone in these impressions, it’s more likely they just haven’t spoken out against it. I personally actually don’t like posting negative impressions on Head-Fi because it’s usually led to accusations that I’m biased against a certain brand when in actuality, I really don’t care what company a headphone comes from—if a headphone sounds good it sounds good, and if a headphone sounds bad it sounds bad. I think it’s silly to hate a certain brand because they’re a certain brand, it’s more likely there are legitimate reasons to not like a headphone and those characteristics permeate throughout the brand as a house sound.
Please keep posting. We need objectivity and opinions from the masses to form a good impression on any headphone. I like hearing both views. Even on headphones I own, I like hearing what people don’t like about them

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #173 of 3,210
That was me, I apologize. I had my reasons, was careful, and restored it properly, but I indeed should have asked first. Sorry for crossing the line.

I appreciate the note, thanks.

As a general comment, when people change our settings or systems and we're unaware we can deliver demos that terribly misrepresent our products, which we always demo without EQ, etc. When a system has been in a bad state and we're unaware, we don't know how many people got a flat out horrible demo instead of a nice experience. With the time and expense of a show having systems in an incorrect state can wreck impressions, and sometimes damage our hardware. In one other show, someone destroyed two Hugos by plugging them into an incorrect power source, thinking they were being helpful. We also had EQ done twice to our systems again in ways that messed up demos for unknown numbers of listeners, and since multiple amps are connected to one source on most of our systems a settings change can affect more than one system at a time, making the problem worse.

So as a general note for shows if you need something special or want to apply EQ, try your gear, etc always ask first, I think I can safely say all vendors appreciate that!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #176 of 3,210
I appreciate the note, thanks.

As a general comment, when people change our settings or systems and we're unaware we can deliver demos that terribly misrepresent our products, which we always demo without EQ, etc. When a system has been in a bad state and we're unaware, we don't know how many people got a flat out horrible demo instead of a nice experience. With the time and expense of a show having systems in an incorrect state can wreck impressions, and sometimes damage our hardware. In one other show, someone destroyed two Hugos by plugging them into an incorrect power source, thinking they were being helpful. We also had EQ done twice to our systems again in ways that messed up demos for unknown numbers of listeners, and since multiple amps are connected to one source on most of our systems a settings change can affect more than one system at a time, making the problem worse.

So as a general note for shows if you need something special or want to apply EQ, try your gear, etc always ask first, I think I can safely say all vendors appreciate that!

In the future consider putting the electronics in plexi glass cases. put some LED spotlights on them and they will look very nice and at the same time prevent ppl from tinkering with them.

Having said that, put me in the list wanting a Ether 2 C. My main listening environment at work do not allow open cans. Which at this point really limit choices for high end.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #177 of 3,210

Can you add a little more to your impressions? I, for one, like to read negative impressions as well as positive ones. Just as we don't all like the same stuff, we don't all dislike the same stuff either. Knowing what you thought of it with a little more context would be very helpful.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #178 of 3,210
I would like to ask for the third time: Please, are the earpads easily replaceable and they are not genuine leather right?
Thank you, thank you.

The ear pads use an adhesive mounting and are replaceable. They can be removed and replaced a few times but excessive removal will ultimately wear out the adhesive. They are made with the same Japanese synthetic leather we use on our AEONs, which we think is the finest on the market. It's good enough that most people think its lamb-leather, but it allows our pads to be more consistent in dimensions and texture than leather.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #179 of 3,210
Very interesting..............

I'd be driving them from vintage speaker amps. Have the option of direct to speaker taps via XLR or single ended 1/4" to the headphone plug on my systems (8 systems in use in various locations) so my question to Dan is does he think these will be safe from speaker taps? I currently run on one system a HiFiMan HE-400 (with every mod known to man) straight from the speaker taps and they sound quite outstanding and clearly better from the taps than from the headphone plug so Dan - your opinion on whether you think I'll find the Ether 2 to be appreciably better from the taps? Again assuming they can handle the direct connection.

If these indeed have the bass as Matt described they may match my best headphone - the Pioneer SE Master 1. That is a tall order by the way.

Is the 14 day return policy in place with these as well? I ask for reasons of history - I tried the Ether and was not impressed at the bass output even with loudness circuits engaged, EQ pumped up and bass tone controls turned up, which on any of my other favorites (the Pioneer, Denon LA7000, HE-400) would rattle my brain. Yep, I'm a basshead - audiophile style................

Pinging Mr Speakers on this - now that RMAF is over hope to get a reply.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #180 of 3,210
With that combo deal it’d be around that price if you wanted to separate the value of the two. Anyways all I’m saying is it could be had around the price of the ether 2 and I think the ether 2 should be able to compete with the utopia
I know to my ears that my Aeon open is better than the Utopia, I've owned both so I couldn't careless what focal bring out now, I don't like the sound signature.Mrspeakers are selling the Ether 2 without a massive price hike which I totally respect and for me it's the only headphone out there that I am dreaming everyday of buying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back