ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Oct 8, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #151 of 3,210
Im definitely looking forward on your view on the vivo cables vs the lavri cables. :)
Hah! That would definitely be interesting. I might order one with the pads that Dan recommended, when both are in stock.

All drunken posts I am relatively sure:gs1000smile:
My username is only indicative of my low-key addiction to headphones. :wink: When it comes to substance abuse, you'd most likely find me as Chocoholic on Suga-Hi or something.

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #153 of 3,210
What do you think is a good amp for the Ether 2? I am thinking of Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Ifi ICan pro right now trying keep the amp cost below 2k

I have the MJ2 and Ragnarok, for acoustic and light hearted songs I prefer the MJ2 but for rock and techno or song that has a bit of edge then Ether would be on the Ragnarok.

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #155 of 3,210
Oct 8, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #156 of 3,210
Anyone happen to compare this to the Auteur? I've been looking around for a nice lightweight headphone and this is definitely a nice surprise.
Anyone know when they are shipping out?

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #157 of 3,210
I ended up pulling the trigger on a pair of Ether 2's. I'm hoping that they start shipping out very soon so that I can give some initial impressions. I think that a pair of 290 gram flagship planar magnetic headphones are too good to pass up. 290 grams is INCREDIBLY light for a planar headphones especially compared to what Audeze offers. They are only 40 grams heavier than my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's that have been a long time comfort favorite. Incredible!

I also want to note that this is the first pair of headphones I've ever had a dream of in the middle of the night.... Do I have a problem??

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #161 of 3,210
found this review on a discord im on

Ether 2
Midrange harsh, treble harsh not super clean, bass decay was weird, muddy but also punchy, better than ether flow but I still wouldn’t consider it “good”

Probably from the MrSpeakers haters over on some other forum... Been reading that forum recently and damn they really hate him a lot lol... Seems very disparaging compared to other early impressions.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #162 of 3,210
Just to embarrass myself .. I have $6,000 to pay off because of this 'fun' hobby. :triportsad:

You should probably leave the hobby then. It's a hobby, don't put your future and (if applicable) your families well being at risk because you wanted to buy unnecessary luxury items.

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #163 of 3,210
You should probably leave the hobby then. It's a hobby, don't put your future and (if applicable) your families well being at risk because you wanted to buy unnecessary luxury items.

I'm in the process of selling as we speak :)
I'm glad I don't have a family at this time..

Oct 8, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #164 of 3,210

Ether 2
Midrange harsh, treble harsh not super clean, bass decay was weird, muddy but also punchy, better than ether flow but I still wouldn’t consider it “good”

Someone messed with the settings on the Chord Dave which was configured to run with the Blu Scaler. They set it to input BNC 2 instead of BNC one, and this completely destroys the sound. It has zero soundstage, no bass, and generally sounds like some kind of weird mono crap.

Next time we have a Dave/Blu to use we'll tape over the button to prevent this. Its VERY frustrating when people change settings on our gear at a show, and I have no idea how many people were exposed to that or for how long.

This happened at least twice during the show, and someone else messed with the volume and EQ on another system, and one person decided to just unplug our gear to hook up his own source. A few people definitely were not following reasonable show etiquette.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 8, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #165 of 3,210

Ether 2
The Ether 2 I tried at the Moon Audio booth (on Friday morning) had boomy bass and other issues, I didn't like it. I tried several others that sounded great. They didn't all receive the proper burn in time, though Dan said less time is needed for the Ether 2 than for the Ether Flow (which needed 200h).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back