ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Jun 11, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,001 of 3,208
I'm finding the Ether 2 all of a sudden taking ear time from Susvara, they are beautifully transparent especially in the mids and bass, beautiful in tone and very interesting in their staging. Running these off the same amp and same gain as I run Susvara Flux Labs Volot, of course I have my preamp eating about double power on high gain but she seems to like the juice so I feed her and she sings to me beautiful melodies

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,002 of 3,208
Looking to upgrade my dac/amp for use with Ether 2 (from iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and Centrance HiFi-M8). Due to my nomadic use case scenario, need to keep to an all-in-one dac/amp unit. Was thinking transportable, but could go with a corded unit. Any Woo WA8 or WA11 users out there? How's the Ether 2 synergy? Others I should consider (under $2,500) that pair well with Ether2?

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #3,003 of 3,208
Looking to upgrade my dac/amp for use with Ether 2 (from iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and Centrance HiFi-M8). Due to my nomadic use case scenario, need to keep to an all-in-one dac/amp unit. Was thinking transportable, but could go with a corded unit. Any Woo WA8 or WA11 users out there? How's the Ether 2 synergy? Others I should consider (under $2,500) that pair well with Ether2?
Have you thought about Hugo2?

Since ether2 is kinda dark sounding headphone (at least to me it was) I think that hugo2 will be good pairing with it's brighter more technical approach.
But as always YMMV

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #3,005 of 3,208
I personally love the v281 + Ether2. The cleaniness from the v281 really balance out the darker tone of the E2

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #3,006 of 3,208

Since ether2 is kinda dark sounding headphone (at least to me it was) I think that hugo2 will be good pairing with it's brighter more technical approach.
But as always YMMV
I admit it, I have too much gear. And I had never spent much time with Hugo 2 driving Ether 2.

So after reading these posts, I decided to go home and give it a try tonight. Listening right now with the following chain:

Cowon Plenue II mk2 ==> Hugo 2 (via Lifatec optical) ==> Ether 2 (Perf E2 pads).

And frankly, I really expected to hear what @alxw0w predicted — good synergy between H2 & E2. I ended up comparing it to with Utopia. I figured that would give me the starkest sensitive what was missing from the E2. The consensus is the highs are rolled off, and the notion is that H2 would help with that.

What I ended up with was that from mids through highs, I really wanted halfway between the HERE’s the DETAIL presentation of Utopia to the ‘the detail is there if you listen’ approach of E2.

But the lower mids through sub-bass go to to E2 on every test track I tried.

Couple examples:

Joni Mitchell track w/ solo steel-string acoustic guitar. From E2 it’s subdued behind the first verse but becomes progressively more prominent later in the track — still under her vocal, but much closer, and about equal with the reed which comes in late. From Utopia it starts nearly even w/ the vocal, and is louder in the end. And it’s stuff like her fingers on the strings which is accentuated. In addition, her voice comes out shrill sometimes.

Dead tracks where some of Jerry’s clang is either a bit subdued or a bit much. More detail from Utopia — more nuance in vocals, a bit more plaintive sweetness from Jerry’s guitar. More space from E2, especially on ensemble numbers where the song opens up. Utopia can seem crowded with unnatural imaging.

London Grammer bass is waaayyyy tame from Utopia, deeply thunderous from E2.

Caveat, E2 pushes H2 pretty hard — I’m in green/blue territory most of the time, although that’s plenty loud. In contrast, Utopia is red/a little yellow.

For fun I tried the same tracks/same DAP optical into my mScaler/TT2 stack and compared the two again. And they were closer together, with more of the difference coming from E2 seeming more ‘lively’ versus Utopia ‘calming down’.

Then I did the real acid test:

H2/E2 vs FiiO M15/E2 — if it’s not significantly better, why bother?

And I have to say, a little better image from H2, more so with well-mastered tracks, flatter from FiiO. Equal amounts of bass, but H2 provides more detail there. But we’re talking small differences which require attentive listening to familiar tracks to seem significant. BTW, Cowon sounded fine, but not powerful enough.

tl;dr — Won’t convince non-believers that E2 highs aren’t subdued, but might get them to say it’s not a deal-breaker. For someone who, like me, enjoys E2 as a relaxed, detailed but not pushy about it, can with great bass, H2 synergises well. It’s definitely a listen I can enjoy for long sessions.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #3,007 of 3,208

But as always YMMV
Yes, Hugo2 is a contender. I've seen an open-box unit for $2600. LCMusicLover's review above seems to endorse this pairing.
I think iDSD Diablo is a great pairing with ETHER 2. This DAC/amp has really great dynamics and treble extension and really wakes up the ETHER 2 sound signature.
Would the Diablo be a big enough change from my iDSD BL? Not sure.
I personally love the v281 + Ether2. The cleaniness from the v281 really balance out the darker tone of the E2
v281 seems like a good option, if not one that's easy to find in the US.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #3,008 of 3,208
Yes, Hugo2 is a contender. I've seen an open-box unit for $2600. LCMusicLover's review above seems to endorse this pairing.

Would the Diablo be a big enough change from my iDSD BL? Not sure.

v281 seems like a good option, if not one that's easy to find in the US.
Diablo is a huge upgrade from iDSD BL. I have the iDSD BL, iDSD micro signature, and the Diablo (yes, I have too many of these). I like each of them but the Diablo wins on detail, dynamics, bass impact, soundstage, treble extension, etc. iDSD BL and signature are warm detailed with less impact and dynamics. Diablo is approaching desktop system quality.

I can't compare it to the Chord. Every time I try to listen to one at CanJam the line is too long lol. Hoping to hear one of those DACs eventually.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #3,010 of 3,208
Had a lovely night with Dave and ether 2 last night. Listening to Hail to the thief, heard new things, it was like getting my first decent pair of headphones. Good times.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #3,011 of 3,208
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #3,013 of 3,208
Just got suede pads for E2. I'm listening to a Young Mkiv VGMkII/Flux Labs Volot and I have to say reduction in midbass really allows E2 to show off it's technical chops with Ryan Adams Richard Ashcroft etc. These sound truly world class off Volot. Highly recommend if you can find one for your Ether 2

Jul 10, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #3,015 of 3,208
Tuned chain, power mods and bypassing my Qutest with a DDC SRC-DX....Before a Singxer SA1 now the Anni by Chord. No comparison.....
Well worth a trial... I keep saying this on this thread...There's still a lot of headroom in the Ether 2 but Amplification is the real bottle neck.

Both my both kidneys and first born son to hear it on the DCS Lina amp $30,000😲
To us mortals....
https://shop.dcsaudio.com/products/lina-system

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back