ETHER 2: Impressions and Discussion
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,402 of 3,207
I feel lucky, just got mine last week. I like them better than the suede version.

Aug 28, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #2,403 of 3,207
I recently got a pair of ether 2 and experiencing some trouble with it.

It just have this planner cracking sound every time if i try to move my head slightly .it drives me nuts, I don’t wear glasses when using it and my ear is not oversized (i ordered new pef pads hope this would help). I have tried numerous positions with it but the issue remains.
also dose anyone felt the ether2 have bit of weird vocal sound almost muffled and missing some part of the sound spectrum,it just made some song no longer enjoyable to me anymore which may because of the bad recording or mixing but damn i miss the lush and warm vocals in some songs.i ve check with the mrspeaker support team and was told my unit is not defective .
I was driving ether2 with dac10h balenced (20v) also tried it with hugo2 but still the same result.

I compare it with audio quest night owl and found that the vocal is just not as prominent compare to the background instruments.feels like the vocal singing is disassociated with the song while background instrument sounded amazing with huge depth and soundstage.

It’s been about 60 hours with the headphone love the sound stage and immersions but just wish the mids on ether2 could be bit more present. May be i should get a new amp?if anybody is reading this I apologize fro my rusty English and thank you for your time

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,404 of 3,207
HD600 if you want a mid-prominent headphone.

Fwiw, multiple measurements show the Ether2 to be pretty linear to around 2.5-3k, which covers the majority of the midrange and vocals.

Something like the HD650 and HD600 has a better transition from upper mids to lower treble without a depression, so you might like that better. In fact the HD600 has mild elevation in the 3khz range.

Aug 29, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #2,405 of 3,207
I recently got a pair of ether 2 and experiencing some trouble with it.

It just have this planner cracking sound every time if i try to move my head slightly .it drives me nuts, I don’t wear glasses when using it and my ear is not oversized (i ordered new pef pads hope this would help). I have tried numerous positions with it but the issue remains.
also dose anyone felt the ether2 have bit of weird vocal sound almost muffled and missing some part of the sound spectrum,it just made some song no longer enjoyable to me anymore which may because of the bad recording or mixing but damn i miss the lush and warm vocals in some songs.i ve check with the mrspeaker support team and was told my unit is not defective .
I was driving ether2 with dac10h balenced (20v) also tried it with hugo2 but still the same result.

I compare it with audio quest night owl and found that the vocal is just not as prominent compare to the background instruments.feels like the vocal singing is disassociated with the song while background instrument sounded amazing with huge depth and soundstage.

It’s been about 60 hours with the headphone love the sound stage and immersions but just wish the mids on ether2 could be bit more present. May be i should get a new amp?if anybody is reading this I apologize fro my rusty English and thank you for your time
If they are marking strange crackling noises you can send them back under warranty for repairs. Just because you were told they were not defective does not mean they are not broken. MR Speakers have great customer service - I am sure they will check them.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #2,406 of 3,207
I had a very similar problem, crackling when I moved my head that developed into cutting out, and sound was a bit off.

Returned them for a new pair and have had no problems since.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,407 of 3,207
HD600 if you want a mid-prominent headphone.

Fwiw, multiple measurements show the Ether2 to be pretty linear to around 2.5-3k, which covers the majority of the midrange and vocals.

Something like the HD650 and HD600 has a better transition from upper mids to lower treble without a depression, so you might like that better. In fact the HD600 has mild elevation in the 3khz range.

thank you for recommending these cans for me, i got a pair of hd660s and i think it have much prominent mids compared to ether2, i ve never tried hd600 perhaps i should

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #2,408 of 3,207
If they are marking strange crackling noises you can send them back under warranty for repairs. Just because you were told they were not defective does not mean they are not broken. MR Speakers have great customer service - I am sure they will check them.

I will certainly Try that, but given where i am now it would be very hard to send my phone back to mrspeaker. Even if I managed to do that, the replacement pair will be taxed by Chinese custom. This trade war thing is just ridiculous

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #2,410 of 3,207
Yes the replacement sounded better. I’d been somewhat underwhelmed by the original defective pair.

Aug 30, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #2,411 of 3,207
Yes the replacement sounded better. I’d been somewhat underwhelmed by the original defective pair.
That’s my feeling as well, contacted the local dealer they seems willing to investigate the problem for me, if its not too much to ask do you have any corespondents from mrspeaker regarding the issue (screenshot )so i can use it as evidence to negotiat with the dealer? Thank you

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #2,412 of 3,207
thank you for recommending these cans for me, i got a pair of hd660s and i think it have much prominent mids compared to ether2, i ve never tried hd600 perhaps i should

HD660s and HD600 are two different drivers, HD660s use HD700 drivers. You may also like the Focal Utopia if you like the opposite spectrum of the Ether 2.

Aug 30, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #2,413 of 3,207
...I compare it with audio quest night owl and found that the vocal is just not as prominent compare to the background instruments.feels like the vocal singing is disassociated with the song while background instrument sounded amazing with huge depth and soundstage...
I enjoy my E2 very much, but...I don't disagree with what you're saying. To my ears the mids don't sound recessed in volume, just in spatial presentation (on some tracks). I consider it a side-effect of the depth of E2's headstage.

That said, mids aren't 'prominent' from E2. As someone said elsewhere, Utopia (or Clear) may be more to your liking if you're looking for prominent mids.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2,414 of 3,207
I enjoy my E2 very much, but...I don't disagree with what you're saying. To my ears the mids don't sound recessed in volume, just in spatial presentation (on some tracks). I consider it a side-effect of the depth of E2's headstage.

That said, mids aren't 'prominent' from E2. As someone said elsewhere, Utopia (or Clear) may be more to your liking if you're looking for prominent mids.
May be its my English , I don’t mean to expecting a very prominent mids on ether 2, my daily traveling headphone is night owl from audio quest, which is know for its very dark sound signature . I am only suspecting the mids on my pair is some what impaired and results in a lower-mids that is under performed compare to other ether2. Hard to believe that ether 2 is rooting for that kind of tunning for a very important range of sound spectrum . Tbh I don’t like any of focal headphones, th900mk2 is much more pleasing to my ears compare to utopia.

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #2,415 of 3,207
HD660s and HD600 are two different drivers, HD660s use HD700 drivers. You may also like the Focal Utopia if you like the opposite spectrum of the Ether 2.

I believe 660s use other driver than the one hd700 had, they sounded so different. I like ether2 very much just I suspect the lower-mids on my pair is not performing properly. Ps do you hear crackling on your ether2 when you try to move your head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back