ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #466 of 1,571
ES Qualia and L3000 would be my main interest. There is opportunity on both to improve them or at least make it more all-around genre friendly (the latter definitely applies to ES R10).

HE90 would also be awesome but my concern with electrostatics lies more with the amps than the transducers. I think I preferred 009 over HE90 on my T2 honestly. At the least it was very close.

HP1000 is cool, I really like that headphone. But $1700 would not be much savings over a used OG?

K1000 they can keep those; no interest here haha.

Yes I agree the ES R10 is very rock and even metal friendly. I had problems with these genres on the OG. The OG was also by far the best I’ve heard orchestral / classical - but then I don’t listen to that too much!

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #468 of 1,571
I’m pretty sure you’ll like the ES-r10, given your preferences. I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the ES-1a. I’m strongly considering picking up a pair too

Yea I'm pretty confident that I'm going to like the R10. Really looking forward to it, and the ES-1a was purely out of curiosity given the attractive price tag. I will be really impressed if it hangs with the other stats I have. All of the impressions here seem really high for both.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #469 of 1,571
Same rhodium connector my Statement cable has. Plus I ordered a matching Statement carbon fiber XLR to TRS to compare differences with the ES R10 as well. Anyone know what the ES cable is composed of yet?
Multi strands copper litz maybe?

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #470 of 1,571
Has anyone purchased the ES-Sigma? That's another rare headphone I've always been interested in.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #471 of 1,571
Has anyone purchased the ES-Sigma
I will soon once I sell something.
I will get the L700 drivers version.

Do not get the 404 drivers it will make the sigmas muddy and bloated.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #473 of 1,571
Idk, if it was 4-5k this thread would be overrun but the usual Head-fi Grey Poupon crowd that can't stop talking about their wallets...
I actually have a hard time convincing one of my audio buddy that this is a great and a meaningful purchase. The ES-R10 just kick the HD820 to the curb.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #475 of 1,571
Idk, if it was 4-5k this thread would be overrun but the usual Head-fi Grey Poupon crowd that can't stop talking about their wallets...
Instead, it's overrun by guys talking about silver cables and burn in :smirk: I bought a new cable which happens to be silver but only because the original was too short for me. No sound change I can discern.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #477 of 1,571
Instead, it's overrun by guys talking about silver cables and burn in :smirk: I bought a new cable which happens to be silver but only because the original was too short for me. No sound change I can discern.
I can be a sceptic too, but I won't close my mind or my ears. I've noticed burn in on some headphones, sometimes dramatic differences, and on other headphone, no changes whatsoever. Same with different power cords on different amps, and burn in on some amp, and nothing on others. I haven't noticed IC differences yet-although I haven't played around with them much-but I'm open to the possibility of it. Same with headphone cables-not much experience yet, but I'll be able to do a direct comparison soon. What I won't do, is put my foot in my mouth, nor my fingers in my ears. I'd hate to be so binary with my thinking, quite honestly.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #478 of 1,571
I can be a sceptic too, but I won't close my mind or my ears. I've noticed burn in on some headphones, sometimes dramatic differences, and on other headphone, no changes whatsoever. Same with different power cords on different amp, and burn in on some amp, and nothing on others. I haven't noticed IC differences yet-although I haven't played around with them much-but I'm open to the possibility of it. Same with headphone cables-not much experience yet, but I'll be able to do a direct comparison soon. What I won't do, is put my foot in my mouth, nor my fingers in my ears. I'd hate to be so binary with my thinking, quite honestly.
Regarding Burn-in- I'm not confident there has been much change. Regarding going from the stock cable to the T2 occ silver, to my ears and IMHO the change was very appreciable. I understand that everyone's ears and systems and perceptions are different and others may not agree with me. I respect everyone and their outlook. I feel confident enough about my claim of T2 silver over stock in MY PERCEPTION- that I want to share my findings with my friends. For those who do not hear the appreciable upgrade that I am confident I am hearing, I certainly apologize for misleading you. Everything is IMHO, and not necessarily in your opinion. Head-fi is a place for us to share our experiences.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #479 of 1,571
Regarding Burn-in- I'm not confident there has been much change. Regarding going from the stock cable to the T2 occ silver, to my ears and IMHO the change was very appreciable. I understand that everyone's ears and systems and perceptions are different, and others may not agree with me. I respect everyone and their outlook. I feel confident enough about my claim of T2 silver over stock in MY PERCEPTION- that I want to share my findings with my friends. For those who do not hear the appreciable upgrade that I am confident I am hearing, I certainly apologize for misleading you. Everything is IMHO, and not necessarily in your opinion. Head-fi is a place for us to share our experiences.
I'll report any differences I may or not hear in about two weeks, and I'll be more familiar with the stock R10 by then as well. The main changes I heard initially were within the first 24 hours or so. Haven't listened more today yet. I usually just let thing run about 200 hours with minimal listening, because ime that where most components gave me their final sound...but again that's only been certain things ime so far. Will be curious to hear any differences as you've noted or not. And thanks for those impressions btw.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #480 of 1,571
The guy at ES Lab recommend a week of burn in though. I notice a sonic difference going from stock copper to Moon-Audio Silver Dragon that I made yesterday, IMHO of course. Next time order a cheap but longer copper cable from Ted Allen to save on the cost my friend @blubliss. :wink: I have his silver cable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back