ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 17, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #451 of 1,571
Everyone in this thread is to blame.. but just ordered the ES-R10 and Es-1a :). Expedited shipping, so hopefully it arrives before my work trip second week of May.

I'll definitely be off-loading some gear to make up for it, but really looking forward to it.
I’m pretty sure you’ll like the ES-r10, given your preferences. I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the ES-1a. I’m strongly considering picking up a pair too

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #452 of 1,571
The hopium is high here—some criticism from my veteran anonymous friend.

If you only listen to classical music. The ES-R10 is not good. Stay with STAX or Hifiman.
The OG was designed pretty much only for classical music. Sounds bad with rock and rap.

The ES-R10 is a modern take on the OG. It has better bass and sounds great with pop and new genres of music.

The ES-R10 is not a bass-light or heavy version. It is more in line with unit numbers passing #1000.
I (Protoss) posted this many times myself here. The worst Sony R10s to own are pass s/n. #1000 😑
So try not to buy those models.

With the Es-R10, that vividness, texture, and fast response is missing. The beauty of string instruments is also missing.

So, in the end, he is not a fan. I do not blame him. He strictly only listens to classical.

Must be told :relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #453 of 1,571
The ES-R10 is a modern take of the OG. It has better bass and sounds great with pop and new genres music.

I very much agree with this line. From my memory of my MDR-R10 (bass heavy version) the bass is better in quantity and quality on the ES-R10 which make it more appropriate for modern genres. There is a cost in terms of the purity of the magic relative to the OG- but it is small- and IMHO I prefer the ES because of the improved bass. I can live with 80% of the OG magic in exchange for the better bass as I do not listen to classical. Many criticized the Bass heavy MDR-R10 for loosing some magic over the bass light as well. The ES-R10 is a MDR-R10 tuned more for modern genres even than the bass heavy OG. Call it an "Ultra bass heavy" version of the OG. I LOVE IT... I am a rock and roll man!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #455 of 1,571
My friends- I bet 90% of headfiers don't even yet know about this incredible headphone. It is a TOTL headphone of the highest caliber at 1/3 the price of the competition. I should buy 10 of these for investment, hold them for 5 years and resell them at $6,000 a piece.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #456 of 1,571
If you only listen to classical music. The ES-R10 is not good. Stay with STAX or Hifiman.

With the Es-R10, that vividness, texture, and fast response is missing. The beauty of string instruments is also missing.
True. I would only use my 800S for classical as I usually do. Have been using the R10 for all the other genres that don't play well with the 800S and really enjoying myself because I've missed listening to pop, rock, hard rock etc.

That said, string instruments aren't half bad...

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #457 of 1,571
I am almost exclusively a classical listener and was just getting ready to place my order, so these most recent comments are leaving me just a little uneasy. :wink:

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #458 of 1,571
I am almost exclusively a classical listener and was just getting ready to place my order, so these most recent comments are leaving me just a little uneasy. :wink:
I auditioned the VC and Stellia with classical pieces before and didn't exactly find them engaging either. I still prefer open-backs for that purpose~ That said, I've yet to listen to a single classical thus far with the R10 haha...

*Update* Listening to this album now and find strings impeccable, maybe not as airy up top as I'd like, but the timbre is on point what with the R10's wooden ear cups and all. Also finding myself wanting more soundstage width... but that could be a habit caused by the 800S.

Ok I didn't finish listening to the entire album. Found myself wanting to go back to other genres, because the bass lean 800S had me starved for the better part of a year and I'm really enjoying myself with all the albums I've missed. So that was just a quick 2-track impression. I will be back.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #459 of 1,571
I would NOT say that these headphones are not good for classical music, in fact they excel in chamber music; string quartets, quintets and small ensembles with piano are spectacular and placement of instruments in the soundstage is very accurate. Where the ES lacks is in large orchestral works, somehow the layering of the soundstage is not disciplined or consistent enough to feel as if you are in a particular seat in a particular concert hall. Often times the string sections are placed realistically but you may be surprised and confused how close another orchestra section sounds because of the dynamic differences and if you know your orchestra well you will be disappointed, however timbre is excellent and dynamics are fabulous. I feel as if the midrange is forward and because of that it can mess with the layering for orchestral music and a real sense of "you are there". What makes these cans so incredible with vocals and smaller scale music may hamper the enjoyment of large scale orchestral works. Just early impressions and the headphones are not yet broken in; they are at around 30 hrs.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #460 of 1,571
Holy $#%&* This track rocks with the Diablo > R10...

Apr 17, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #461 of 1,571
Check out the AWKT, absolutely stellar for classical, incredible with strings, and a deeper, more textured bass than these R10s. Oh, and essentially the same price.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #462 of 1,571
The ES-R10 is a modern take of the OG. It has better bass and sounds great with pop and new genres music.

I very much agree with this line. From my memory of my MDR-R10 (bass heavy version) the bass is better in quantity and quality on the ES-R10 which make it more appropriate for modern genres. There is a cost in terms of the purity of the magic relative to the OG- but it is small- and IMHO I prefer the ES because of the improved bass. I can live with 80% of the OG magic in exchange for the better bass as I do not listen to classical. Many criticized the Bass heavy MDR-R10 for loosing some magic over the bass light as well. The ES-R10 is a MDR-R10 tuned more for modern genres even than the bass heavy OG. Call it an "Ultra bass heavy" version of the OG. I LOVE IT... I am a rock and roll man!
I agree with you and Protoss that the ES-R10 sounds more akin to the 1996 or later version of the R10 which has the driver number 4. I checked my OG during the refoaming and it has the driver number 3 for reference. The ES-R10 is a more all-rounder headphones that still excel at classical so don’t rule this one out.

If you guys want to stay with a stock cable, why not get it reterminates with Eidolic or Furutech copper/rhodium plated 4 Pin XLR? This alone should give a slight bump on the sound quality department. The stock Neutrik is fine but the contact material is much better on the Furutech and Eidolic. It looks nicer to boot!

C121B7B1-6CE7-4F9E-A839-40AECF501D73.jpeg

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #463 of 1,571
Same rhodium connector my Statement cable has. Plus I ordered a matching Statement carbon fiber XLR to TRS to compare differences with the ES R10 as well. Anyone know what the ES cable is composed of yet?

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #464 of 1,571
These are very light, and the comfort is good. After like 30 minutes of listening, he could sell these for $4K. Electric guitars sound so good on these
Well yeah the original R10 retail at about that price counting inflation.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #465 of 1,571
Well yeah the original R10 retail at about that price counting inflation.
If ES-Lab priced the ES-R10 for $4000 to $5000 dollars. This thread would of been half the pages and I would of dismiss this headphone and told everyone to just buy the OG.

Because it is $1700 it is technically one of the best headphone in the market. Already have my STAX 009S and other headphones for sale.

His next headphones should also be priced the same;
ES-L3000 $1700
ES-HE90 $1700
ES-K1000 $1700
ES-HP1000 $1700

ES- R10 completed
ES-OMEGA completed
ES-SIGMA completed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back