ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #436 of 1,571
Everyone in this thread is to blame.. but just ordered the ES-R10 and Es-1a :). Expedited shipping, so hopefully it arrives before my work trip second week of May.

I'll definitely be off-loading some gear to make up for it, but really looking forward to it.
Haha you're welcome. Looking forward to your comparison with the VC/ CBRN!

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #437 of 1,571
I gotta to order a second pair... Without a doubt IMHO the most open sounding closed back I ever heard (by far). The sound is totally out of the head. I like the description of others as a "chamber room". I think this is on mark. I would perhaps add a word: "wood chamber room". Totally unique presentation. OPEN OPEN OPEN 3-D clear balanced sound.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #438 of 1,571
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #439 of 1,571
I also wanna keep my impressions minimal as I usually do prior to about 200 hours of burn in, as I know some components ime do change with burn in &/or cabling...and some don't. So far I'll say this...out of the box I was disappointed, they sounded congested, and overall nothing special. And now about 40 hours later they are sounding very very good, no congestion, very balanced, tight...very good. I could use a little bit more in the top end, just a bit, a bit more details and nuance in the bass, and perhaps a tiny bit more separation...but that's exactly what I feel the silver may bring. But overall right now, Ican say they are keepers...straight out of the box I certainly wasn't thinking such. That's about where I'll leave it for now.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #440 of 1,571
I gotta to order a second pair... Without a doubt IMHO the most open sounding closed back I ever heard (by far). The sound is totally out of the head. I like the description of others as a "chamber room". I think this is on mark. I would perhaps add a word: "wood chamber room". Totally unique presentation. OPEN OPEN OPEN 3-D clear balanced sound.

Yes. I have always despised close backs for a few reasons...and thankfully this one has none of those subjective faults I can't stand.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #441 of 1,571
Only con I have so far is..... they won't fit into my Nanuk 915 😭

Need to find something deeper and bigger~

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #442 of 1,571
This doesn't even sound like a closed-back to me, thankfully. No in your head annoying bass, no congestion or lower frequencies bleeding much, and a very open sounding soundstage, at least through my Studio B. Haven't listened much from my Eximus (ss) output yet.
Yup, the original R10 (refoamed and all) are all about that too ...so this is one of the trademark of the original R10. Glad you are enjoy the purchase man.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #443 of 1,571
Looking forward to full break in, my silver cable getting back, and of course your more nuanced impressions in the coming weeks. An for what it's worth for those reading, I've sold my AWKT, ADX5000, and HD800 all in the past month because frankly they only beat my lowly AD2000 barely on the technical side, whilst not being even half as enjoyable on the subjective side. Plus the AD2000/Studio B (EML mesh) has some SICK SYNERGY going on that is very hard to match imo...but so far thankfully I'm getting both great technicalities and musicality in these R10s that will serve as a great complement to the ATs, that I can tell already.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #444 of 1,571
Agreed on both technicality and musicality.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #446 of 1,571
Quick lullaby for the late crowd enjoying their tubes:

Nice bass beats right from the start! Loving how deep the R10 hits. And soundstage imaging is top notch. Must agree this closed back wonder challenges even my beloved 800S.

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #447 of 1,571
If I were to rate the soundstage of the ES-R10 vs the TC or HD-800- I would say it is definitely not as wide- but it is more 3-D, and somehow more realistic. I prefer the soundstage presentation of the R10 over the TC. The TC and HD-800 are presenting sound further away from my ears, but the R10 is kind of more out of the head, and more realistic. Again- I like the "wooden chamber" description. It is really neato....

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #448 of 1,571
If I were to rate the soundstage of the ES-R10 vs the TC or HD-800- I would say it is definitely not as wide- but it is more 3-D, and somehow more realistic. I prefer the soundstage presentation of the R10 over the TC. The TC and HD-800 are presenting sound further away from my ears, but the R10 is kind of more out of the head, and more realistic. Again- I like the "wooden chamber" description. It is really neato....
Correct. It's not as wide, but more holographic~ That wood timbre is just too addictive.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #449 of 1,571

Correct. It's not as wide, but more holographic~ That wood timbre is just too addictive.
This due to a superior stereo images and depth cues. I will have confirm this for myself against my HD800s HDR mod.

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #450 of 1,571
I agree; the magic of the soundstage is in large part due to depth, imaging, and separation rather than width. However, just hearing sound further away from my ears as I do with the TC is not as convincing or pleasant without the superior imaging and separation I hear on the R10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back