ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,561 of 1,571
Don’t u think the ES-R10 slightly large and odd looking to be worn in the office? I go with a more discrete looking and nearly equally good sounding (side step) Denon D9200.
Yeah I know what you mean! I have a Denon D7000 with Lawton mod that looks more conventional! Good to know D9200 will be a good compromise!

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #1,562 of 1,571
Yeah I know what you mean! I have a Denon D7000 with Lawton mod that looks more conventional! Good to know D9200 will be a good compromise!
Most people wear some type of true wireless earphones in my office and I am the only one who wears a full size headphones and I have a senior role. I the the ES-R10 will draw a little too much attention…..haha

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #1,563 of 1,571
Most people wear some type of true wireless earphones in my office and I am the only one who wears a full size headphones and I have a senior role. I the the ES-R10 will draw a little too much attention…..haha
I freelance, so tend to spend time working in cafe, so I guess the look of the headphone matter less...?:thinking:

From briefly going through the thread, please correct me if I am wrong. ES-R10 doesn't seen to be a good closed back headphone for a busy/noisy place and outside sound may leak in? Or the music may leak out?

Jan 28, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #1,564 of 1,571
I freelance, so tend to spend time working in cafe, so I guess the look of the headphone matter less...?:thinking:

From briefly going through the thread, please correct me if I am wrong. ES-R10 doesn't seen to be a good closed back headphone for a busy/noisy place and outside sound may leak in? Or the music may leak out?
The Sony R-10 isn't a real totally closed back headphone and neither is the ES. But the ES is excellent. Some leakage, a little but not that much.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #1,565 of 1,571
Don’t u think the ES-R10 slightly large and odd looking to be worn in the office? I go with a more discrete looking and nearly equally good sounding (side step) Denon D9200.
D9200 similar quality to ES-R10? That is interesting. I had D7200 for long time and I was only shortly testing D9200, but it sounded to me a as cleaner, more linear and resolving upgrade of D7200. Good, smooth, high quality sound of biocellulose driver but far away from ESR10 soundstage and all different spatial qualities.
Also imho EsLab is much more natural with vocals (I would say with tubes it is soo damn realistic) and acoustic instruments with ability to correctly reproduce the timbre and nuances of different instruments on at least good level (metal like drum cymbals) or excellent (violin, chello, sax, piano etc.). So far I don't know any other headphone (didn't listen to OG R10) that is overall so good with timbre and textures to deliver natural experience in wide frequency range.

D9200 is definitely better with low end. EsR10 has plenty of punchy bass but it is not reaching very deep.
Of course Denon is much more portable and has excellent build quality (I like the look of D7200/D9200 very much).

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #1,566 of 1,571
I said similar level but a side step tonally wise.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #1,567 of 1,571
So maybe I will check again D9200 to spend with them more time. However even comparing recently with Utopia, Sonorous X, Meze Elite, any ZMF or Susvara (for example on dCS Lina set or high-end tube amps) directly I couldn't find them on similar level with ESR10 in areas like soundstage, natural life-like presentation, timbre, texture, smoothness etc.

BTW what cables are you using for ESR10 and D9200?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #1,568 of 1,571
I use a DIY Moon Audio Silver Dragon for the ES-R10 and reterminate Fiio LC-RE Pro MMCX for my Denon D9200.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,569 of 1,571
I see that Fiio is litz type cable (hybrid).
Dragon is pure silver but not litz type.

I believe litz construction is very important factor in cables and delivers usually much better resolution.

From my experience even silver plated copper litz is not far behind solid core silver. Especially with low power demanding headphones like ESR10 or D9200. However for example with planars which are often consuming much more power solid core can be better match.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #1,571 of 1,571
I'm curious what your thoughts are on the pairing with the wm1zm2?
I'll chip in and say that it sounds good, but not its best with the walkman. Only because it scales really well and I enjoy it the most with my tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back