ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #496 of 1,571
Well for $3800
So I can get 2 more ES-R10 with upgraded cables from https://www.lavricables.com/
"Grand line cables"

Don't tell anyone.
Now this is where I begin to question the sonic benefit of expensive cables. Companies like this and others certainly make beautiful cables also using occ litz technology like Ted Allen at headphone lounge and Moon Audio use. These boutique companies however often use thicker strands like 22awg or 20awg and also may cryo treat the cables. I have never heard these ultra upper scale cables but I do very much question their value in the realm of "diminishing returns" I find it hard to believe that 24awg litz used for a very non power hungry headphone like the R10 will result in poorer sonics than 20awg litz at double the cost.. Of course I am only guessing because I have not heard these ultra thick and ultra expensive cables, but this is my hunch.

I have no intention to drive us into cable talk in general- but only relative to the how it may effect the ES-R10 and also "I AM ONLY GUESSING" for the purpose of discussion.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #498 of 1,571
The best part of burning in these headphones and falling deeper in love with them every day - is realizing these are mine, and I can listen to them as much as I want. :heart_eyes::sunglasses:
Also these have the lowest listening fatigue factor I've ever experienced in a headphone, by far, so I can literally listen to them as much as I want (polar opposite of this: Grado). Such natural sound (polar opposite: HD820). I'm even flirting with the idea of getting out of electrostatics. But at the same time, I'm certainly very interested in the ES1a.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #500 of 1,571
The best part of burning in these headphones and falling deeper in love with them every day - is realizing these are mine, and I can listen to them as much as I want. :heart_eyes::sunglasses:
Also these have the lowest listening fatigue factor I've ever experienced in a headphone, by far, so I can literally listen to them as much as I want (polar opposite of this: Grado). Such natural sound. I'm even flirting with the idea of getting out of electrostatics. But at the same time, I'm certainly very interested in the ES1a.
Agreed. I am in love with these headphones as well. These must be considered for the top spot as the greatest closed headphones in production and IMHO amongst the family of TOTL headphones made today, cost no object, open or closed.
I sold my Susvara, LCD-5, SR-009. I only kept the TC and I'm keeping these.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #501 of 1,571
Agreed. I am in love with these headphones as well. These must be considered for the top spot as the greatest closed headphones in production and IMHO amongst the family of TOTL headphones made today, cost no object, open or closed.
Wow! That says a lot right there. Yeah these are a TOTL quality sound, and a highly agreeable & inviting variant of it, at that.

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #502 of 1,571

Can you provide some comparative details between them from a technical perspective? in general anyway in terms or resolution, transparency, microdetails etc? In a nutshell?

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #503 of 1,571
Has anyone compared this to the HifiMan one ? At first I thought this was another mimick and copy cat of the R10. But it seems that the seller is pretty experienced in reproducing headphones. Also very much recommended….and my pocket is damaged again … this damn hobby

Apr 18, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #505 of 1,571
But then you've gotta burn in your other two pairs too. :)
I don't have a 3rd lol. It will be my pleasure to burn in the 2nd pair when it arrives. And I'm definitely not regretting that decision, nor 2nd guessing! Now have to take a hard look at the rest of my headphones collection; it's long past time for a purge. Think it's even time to let go of some Stax.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #506 of 1,571
I think it was briefly touched on earlier in this thread. From my understanding, the Hifiman man sounds nothing like the OG R10, and is a complete ripoff in price considering.

VS the ESL which is more faithful to the original, and of course an excellent value.
Looking at that "other" R10 reproduction makes me want to vomit, and that's not even factoring in its price :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #507 of 1,571
Can you provide some comparative details between them from a technical perspective? in general anyway in terms or resolution, transparency, microdetails etc? In a nutshell?
I'm not sure I am an accurate enough writer to be fair to this question. I would say in general that any technical advantages or disadvantages (detail, transparency) looking at the LCD-5, Susvara, etc. which I owned up until recently relative to the ES-R10 are not that meaningful to me. They are all so so good in this area. Yes, perhaps under a microscope so to speak one would beat out the other and my hunch is that the ES-R10 would even be last in these areas- but they are all so good in these areas that it does not matter TO ME; it may to you.. The ES-R10 has the magical wooden chamber soundstage, the ultimate timber. It is also the most natural of them. Yet- it has excellent punch- in spite of its seemingly delicate nature. The LCD-5 and Susvara are excellent headphones but the TC IMHO beats them both and beats them pretty well using the same technology leaving me no advantage to owning them when I have a TC. The ES-R10 may loose to the TC technically as well - but it is unique in tone, timber, and soundstage- and therefore a winner and keeper for me. All of this IMHO. I respect anyone who disagrees...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #509 of 1,571
Looking at that "other" R10 reproduction makes me want to vomit, and that's not even factoring in its price :sweat_smile:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/919...-3d-printable?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google

1650305820509.png

At least this guy tried :sweat_smile::grin:
I love his description LOL!!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #510 of 1,571
Has anyone compared this to the HifiMan one ? At first I thought this was another mimick and copy cat of the R10. But it seems that the seller is pretty experienced in reproducing headphones. Also very much recommended….and my pocket is damaged again … this damn hobby
Yes I touch upon this in the first post of this thread, and @Ciggavelli briefly compared the es-r10 vs the r10 planar from hifiman earlier in this thread. I will go into more detail once I do the shootout, but the opening post explains what I hear are advantages of the es-r10 over the dynamic r10 from hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back