Erzetich Charybdis
Mar 7, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #181 of 229
IMG_2870.jpeg

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #186 of 229
I couldnt resist, I came across a used pair in excellent condition at a price I couldnt resist and I received it today...my first impression is they are big and awkward but actually quite comfortable...what struck me immediately is how easy they are to drive especially since my other 2 planars are the susvara and 1266...I have been listening to the sus and 1266 with my feliks envy and absolutely loving it...I listen on high gain and hear dead silence through both the sus and 1266 but when I put the charybidas on medium gain with no music playing I heard all sorts of tube noise I have never heard before...I had to put it on low gain and now it is also silent with no music playing...ok..I have been listening for a short while and I find the soundstage outstanding..wide with good depth...the bass is excellent and it is a detailed headphone for sure...this is a very good headphone...is it in the league with the sus and 1266?..that I cannot say certainly at this point but it is better to me than the options out there in the 4-5k range...I would take this in a heartbeat over the audeze and utopia offerings...I would take it in a nano second over the elite and the stealth and expanse....for the price I paid it is definitely outstanding...at retail price I think early impressions it is good value....there are so many good options out there

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #187 of 229
I couldnt resist, I came across a used pair in excellent condition at a price I couldnt resist and I received it today...my first impression is they are big and awkward but actually quite comfortable...what struck me immediately is how easy they are to drive especially since my other 2 planars are the susvara and 1266...I have been listening to the sus and 1266 with my feliks envy and absolutely loving it...I listen on high gain and hear dead silence through both the sus and 1266 but when I put the charybidas on medium gain with no music playing I heard all sorts of tube noise I have never heard before...I had to put it on low gain and now it is also silent with no music playing...ok..I have been listening for a short while and I find the soundstage outstanding..wide with good depth...the bass is excellent and it is a detailed headphone for sure...this is a very good headphone...is it in the league with the sus and 1266?..that I cannot say certainly at this point but it is better to me than the options out there in the 4-5k range...I would take this in a heartbeat over the audeze and utopia offerings...I would take it in a nano second over the elite and the stealth and expanse....for the price I paid it is definitely outstanding...at retail price I think early impressions it is good value....there are so many good options out there
Yeah they sound good that's for sure.
If money didn't run dry I would have jumped at Dietmars nice black unit

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #188 of 229
If money didn't run dry I would have jumped at Dietmars nice black unit
Same!
But you did an Anniversary Edition upgrade and i bought a stupidly expensive headphone, used, but still stupidly expensive.
I also honestly doubt that the Charybdis (and to be fair, any of the newer planars like the Empy 2, Tungsten etc) have anything new or better to offer than the three planars i already own. Maybe i'm wrong, but i don't crave other planars right now (anymore).
That doesn't mean i'm not interested in hearing it...
Priorities man, priorities...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #190 of 229
Same!
But you did an Anniversary Edition upgrade and i bought a stupidly expensive headphone, used, but still stupidly expensive.
I also honestly doubt that the Charybdis (and to be fair, any of the newer planars like the Empy 2, Tungsten etc) have anything new or better to offer than the three planars i already own. Maybe i'm wrong, but i don't crave other planars right now (anymore).
Yeah your collection Covers all bases, you don't need anything else.
It's just that there is other good stuff out there, not better than your gear but different.

You can be very content with your new aquisition and imo Set your priorities correctly

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #191 of 229
not better just very good and different..I surely didnt NEED them but as a crazy person in this hobby I wanted to hear them lol

Mar 23, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #192 of 229
Same!
you do have 3 great HP's and I totally understand why another HP would seem overkill...in my case I always like to have at least one HP that is relatively easy to drive and this is....it is really good and I am really enjoying it thus far...truth is we have gotten to the point where the best of the HP world are all outstanding...I do think these are a rung above the empyrean elite,Utopia 22,LCD-5,stealth and expanse...I dont feel I am missing much when I listen to these and not my susvara or 1266 and I must say the soundstage is addicting...for those with a dave,it drives them easily without an amp and sounds great

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #193 of 229
Three headphones is all one needs since it is unlikely that the fourth in the pecking order excels in one area so much over the others that it is worth keeping. Anytime I get to 4-5 headphones, I ask myself which one could be sold and the answer is usually obvious.

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #194 of 229
so do I actually, I have done so numerous times

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #195 of 229
Like i said Charybdis is one of the best (of not the best) price/SQ ratio HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back