Erzetich Charybdis
Mar 24, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #196 of 229
I am really enjoying it straight out of the dave as well as with my envy...I very much like having one HP that can be driven from the dave alone...it is awkward though because of the way it pivots it can be a bit difficult to handle although once on the head it is quite comfortable...I buy and sell tons of stuff and tend to be disappointed with most stuff given the comparison to the susvara and 1266...this is the first HP I have bought in a while that is a keeper...it really is terrific..for me the real selling point is the soundstage..I find I only like HP's with large soundstages that create that feeling of space...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #197 of 229
the more I listen to this HP the more I like it...out of my envy the best way to describe is kind of like what the LCD-4 would be if it had a big soundstage and it wasnt as thick sounding...the sense of space is addicting and it has a real kick....a real fun listen

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #198 of 229
hoe meer ik naar deze HP luister, hoe leuker ik hem vind... uit mijn jaloezie is de beste manier om te beschrijven wat de LCD-4 zou zijn als hij een groot geluidsbeeld had en niet zo dik zou klinken... het gevoel van ruimte is verslavend en het geeft een echte kick....een heel leuk luisterplezier
Absolutely agree, these headphones do an incredible job on every level.
the soundstage is incredible.
I also have the Meze Empyrian which sounds very natural (on my set), but this Charibdis is in a different class.
Everything sounds so natural and unforced, but with dynamics and detail that very few headphones can achieve.
I have listened to many headphones over the years, but few had all the qualities that make a good headphone

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #199 of 229
However, one critical point.
the adjustment system on both sides is slightly weak to keep the ear cups stable at a set height.
Every time I take off the headphones and put them back on, I have to adjust the height again.
However, I am the only one who uses the Charibdis, so I have secured the adjustment at an ideal height determined for me.
Problem solved and I can always remove the rubber hoses if necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_rubber 1.jpg
    IMG_rubber 1.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_rubber 2.jpg
    IMG_rubber 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #200 of 229
agreed, that would be my only criticism of this outstanding HP...it is a bit awkward and yes the adjustment is difficult...I havent had much trouble with the adjustment mine has remained in the position I set but I know others have

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #201 of 229
I have my Charybdis not long they were released I set the adjustment rods and and they have not moved they are quite difficult to move on mine.I only have a few millimeters left before you cant see the rods.In terms of picking the headphone up you have to consider the weight and size of the drivers otherwise of course things will loosen and fall apart.

Mar 30, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #202 of 229
I grab mine by the earcups not the headband...so far no problems but yes the design could be better...on the other hand they sound terrific

Mar 31, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #204 of 229
I am open to offers. But realistic!
Almost new. Feb.‘24.

IMG_2872.jpeg
Is this still for sale? I'll buy it off you if it is.

I tried to buy the Charybdis off their website, but it was out of stock. If anybody has a pair they want to sell, PM me. I really like the black version, but I'm fine with the stock. I really wanna try these out

Apr 1, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #205 of 229
I had experienced the Charybdis for ten minutes in the past and was put off more by the sheer size and awkwardness of them that distracted me from appreciating their sound. The earrings I also found off-putting. Inspired by this thread I have now booked a two hour listening session with them at Headphone Auditions Amsterdam in ten days time. Comfort for me is important as I have learned through experience that I listen to my Diana Phis far more than my 1266s purely because of the comfort factor even though I much prefer the sound of the 1266s. I work from home and listen through headphones around ten hours per day on average, with a break of about an hour in the middle. This I can easily do with my Dianas or the Empyreans but hit a two hour limit with the 1266s. I would dearly love a headphone that was in league of the 1266s but wearable for a longer time. I listen to everything from EDM to cutting-edge Jazz and for me the fun-factor is paramount and from what I've read here the Charybdis have this. I'll report back on my findings.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #206 of 229
I had experienced the Charybdis for ten minutes in the past and was put off more by the sheer size and awkwardness of them that distracted me from appreciating their sound. The earrings I also found off-putting. Inspired by this thread I have now booked a two hour listening session with them at Headphone Auditions Amsterdam in ten days time. Comfort for me is important as I have learned through experience that I listen to my Diana Phis far more than my 1266s purely because of the comfort factor even though I much prefer the sound of the 1266s. I work from home and listen through headphones around ten hours per day on average, with a break of about an hour in the middle. This I can easily do with my Dianas or the Empyreans but hit a two hour limit with the 1266s. I would dearly love a headphone that was in league of the 1266s but wearable for a longer time. I listen to everything from EDM to cutting-edge Jazz and for me the fun-factor is paramount and from what I've read here the Charybdis have this. I'll report back on my findings.

I'm also interested. I tried the Hifiman HE1000SE but it wasn't quite for me. Like you, I live in the Netherlands and I think I will also make an appointment at Headphone auditions.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #207 of 229
I'm also interested. I tried the Hifiman HE1000SE but it wasn't quite for me. Like you, I live in the Netherlands and I think I will also make an appointment at Headphone auditions.
I found none of the Hifiman headphones worked for me. Many who own the Abyss 1266s also own Susvaras but they left me cold. It is the supposed "fun-factor" that's piqued my interest in the Charybdis.

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #208 of 229

I have them for 3 months now and i find them absolutely confortable and i could wear them 10h straight without problem. I find that the pads helps a lot, they're very good imo.
Mine don't have those awkward earrings.
One thing that i've found is that if you tilt your head down the earcups tend to move foward, not a huge problem for me tho.

Meanwhile i got a tube DAC and it sounds SO good on the Charibdys.

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #209 of 229

Users who are viewing this thread

Back