ER4P > HF5? Are you sure?
Feb 18, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 58
Shouldnt need any burn in maybe you should listen to them a little more if you are expecting them to be very bassy in any kind of way you may be kind 9 disappointed but listen for vocals mids highs clarity isolation focus on other aspects of the sounds you hear.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 58
Originally Posted by Bonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the MK5 need burning in?  I got them as I was looking for an economic isolating IEM.  But I'm feeling no bass at all.  Tried both triple flange tips and foam tips, the large ones.  I certainly have much isolation.  But no bass at all.  I am a little disappointed with them.  I guess i was used to my JVC marshmallows.

MK5 doesn't use balanced armature drivers and instead uses a dynamic driver. It doesn't have the clarity of the HF and ER-4 series.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #18 of 58
Well didn't @soundstige said that he felt mk5 was better than hf series? Of course I'm not incriminating him. And I didn't want anything bassy also, but at least some bass at all. I am using them at the gym to watch movies andto block all the lousy music, tv's,etc., and the latter part is great but movies sound thinner and almost boring without the presence of bass.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #19 of 58
Originally Posted by Bonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well didn't @soundstige said that he felt mk5 was better than hf series? Of course I'm not incriminating him. And I didn't want anything bassy also, but at least some bass at all. I am using them at the gym to watch movies andto block all the lousy music, tv's,etc., and the latter part is great but movies sound thinner and almost boring without the presence of bass.

I have never heard the MK5 series but did compare the MC5 to the HF5. HF5 had noticeably more clarity. MK5 uses a smaller driver than the MC5 but I really doubt that it has the clarity to beat a balanced armature driver.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #20 of 58

MK5 doesn't use balanced armature drivers and instead uses a dynamic driver. It doesn't have the clarity of the HF and ER-4 series.

Ah my bad in that case burn in may be required and they might open up some you might like them still since they won't have the clarity of the he or error though if that is what you wereally looking for.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #21 of 58
Of course I know MK5 has dynamic drivers, and I completely disagree that they lack the clarity of the HF series. It's a new product that Etymotic has really hit out of the park after their success with sourcing a flat, energetic dynamic driver in the EtyKids line.

Quote:

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 58
Frankly the MC series is crap compared to any other Etymotic. I can't stand them. The MK sounds nothing like the MC.

Quote:

I have never heard the MK5 series but did compare the MC5 to the HF5. HF5 had noticeably more clarity. MK5 uses a smaller driver than the MC5 but I really doubt that it has the clarity to beat a balanced armature driver.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #23 of 58
Here's my advice: try out the new MK5 Etymotic just released last month. For me, it was a very clear step up in audio quality compared to the HF series. To me, the quality of Etymotic's historical lineup ranges ER4S > ER4P/PT > ER6/i > MK5 > HF5 > EK > MC5. I'm frankly a bit surprised they're only selling for $60. Give them a spin and see if your impressions are similar, you can't go wrong for the price. They also have better, though similar, build quality to the HF series.

Overall the MK5 sound is a lot clearer and more detailed than the HF5, though the MK5 goes for a wide soundstage while the HF5 goes for an intimate in-your-face one. One big thing to note is that the MK5 have much tighter, more present bass, compared to even the ER4 line (and no it's not boomy in any way whatsoever, it's still an Ety). It sounds quite a bit like the old ER6 with a touch less microdetail and a wider sound stage.

So it's the MK5's that are at issue.

If the MK5's have the clarity that you describe, they should make an awesome semi-disposable earphone that you can take to work, public transit, the library and other semi/public places where you want a sound signature of that description but you don't want risk losing expensive gear if someone swipes your stuff.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 58
And... despite the contention that the MK5's outperform my HF5's, I counter that my HF5's are an overall superior product because they are more beautiful, as seen in my account avatar. 
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #27 of 58
I mean just out of curiosity is there any information that states this about the HF and the er4? Maybe a document or something factual? Not saying I don't believe you just saying I would like to see some kind of evidence that shows the HF and the error are using the same drivers and are tuned the same ect.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #28 of 58
I also find them similar but they are different drivers. ER-4 is crisper, tighter and a bit more delineated. Sort of sounds faster. The HF5 can have a somewhat friendlier, less etched presentation. A bit less ruthless of lesser associations. If I had to live with something at around $100, the HF5 would be a contender.

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #29 of 58
I've looked high and low and never found conclusive evidence the HF and ER series have the same driver. They don't really even sound that similar, only in the way that the entire Etymotic line is tuned the same. And in my ranking, ER4PT and HF5 are actually right next to each other except separated by ER6 (similar to ER4 series) and the MK series (new and with more bass and sound stage presentation, which I prefer).

Quote:
  I don't trust any list that puts the ER-4P and HF5 so far apart when they use pretty much the same driver.

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #30 of 58
Yeah I Have Had All Of The Ety Line But mk line and the ER 6 liNE and I do ago they do "seem" to come from the same family but to me the er4p and er4s feel like the Ferrari of the etymotic line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back