Entry Point To Open Headphones - $80 to $130?
Mar 11, 2011 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hi all

I'm from NZ - and unfortunately our headphone prices here are exorbitant - there is no simpler way to put it.  Classic example - am visiting New York in 2 weeks (biz trip), and have preordered a set of Shure SRH 840's for US 129 (NZ $175).  Same cans in NZ would be $429 (US 315) - and that's on promotion!

Anyway - I'll be in the US for a few days - and in NYC for a day and a half.  I'm going to be staying within walking distance of B&H.  The 840's will be my 'go to cans' - but I thought while I have the chance, I could probably pick up a set of open or semi-open cans (something totally different) so that I can widen my experience.  My budget won't be great (no more than USD 130) - and I have no problem looking at entry level.  Was just wondering if anyone can give me ideas of what to consider, and more importantly - why.

My music tastes are extremely wide, from grunge to opera or orchestra.  I love vocals - especially female vocals - and have found a new passion (just discovered) for acoustic guitar as well as jazz / soul since I've joined Head-Fi.  Favourite new albums at the moment would be Nils Lofgren's "Acoustic Live", Diana's Krall's "The Girl In The Other Room" and Adele's "21".

My main sources are ipod Touch 4th Gen / Cowon iaudio7 / PC - all paired with an E7 (via LOD or as DAC).

My thoughts so far have been:
 - Grado Sr80i
 - Beyerdynamix DT 440
 - AKG K99
 - Sennheiser HD 518
 - ATH-AD700

Questions:
 - I'm staying central - strolling distance from Rockefeller.  B&H or JR seems my best option - is there anywhere else (walking distance) worth looking at for cans?
 - Any other suggestions to above listed - any recommendations?
 - So far, I was leaning toward the Grados as a good entry point.  But if you have an opinion on what I've selected, or an alternative (especially for the new genre's I now find myself enjoying), I really would appreciate it - especially if you can outline your reasons why (I would learn a lot in the process)

I hope no-one minds - but I started a new thread for this rather than put it in the standard long headphones advice thread.  My reason for doing this is that I'd like to understand the reasons behind some of your recommendations - so I need discussion if possible.  I have searched for a lot of info so far (reviews etc) - but now looking for more personalised assistance.  I have read a lot of the various "open headphones under $150" threads already.

Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
I think the AD700s would be a good complement to your SRH840s.  They've got a very open, airy and "soundstagey" signature to them.

Thanks Marximus
I have to admit - the huge sound stage was the main attraction from the reviews I read.  The only hesitation I would have is some reviewers comments on recession in the mids.  I really love vocals - esp female artists.  Did you find that the vocals were distant with the AD700's?  If they are, is it something that could be altered by a touch of EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back