ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Mar 10, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,172 of 1,237
  Any opinions on silver or copper cable for the Dharma???

popcorn.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #1,173 of 1,237
  Keep the option open of using Audeze Vegan or Lambskin pads on the Dharma..............it really does liven up the bass, which is pretty darn good stock.  The pads are the one thing I think need improvement on this headphone.

Was there any cutting or glue involved in changing out the pads to the Audeze pads?   Or do they slip into place?

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,174 of 1,237
  Was there any cutting or glue involved in changing out the pads to the Audeze pads?   Or do they slip into place?

Slip into place.................because the ring gap is small it takes a bit of doing but after doing it a few times now it's a five minute swap.

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #1,176 of 1,237
  Thanks.  I'll give em a try.  I hope the bass stays tight.  

I think it improved the bass.

Look forward to your impressions. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #1,177 of 1,237
Here's the Dharma w/ My Bottlehead 2A3 amp (using JJ 2A3-40 output tubes),  Grace Designs as

DAC (very clean) and Hifiman XLR adaptor (was afraid not to use this). Best this Dharma has sounded. The soundstage is way out wide like my old K1000s to my best memory but w/ great bass and better midrange.  I was listening to the Chesky Binaural recording of the New Appalachians- the midrange was to die for.  I think these cans like a little power.   For the Hifiman adaptor I am using the Western Electric Wire Jeff Day spoke about in his post some time ago - not sure if that make a real difference or not.  Nice thing about the Bottlehead and the sensitive cans is I am able to get all hum out w/ the Hum pots.  There was a very small amount of hiss that was inaudible once the music started.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,178 of 1,237
  I've been listening to the Dharma D1000 for about 10 to 15 hours since I got it the other day, so my impressions are admittedly suspect. I don't know if the headphone will change, but here are my initial impressions.

I do think the headphone reveals equipment.  It sounds a little different out of my laptop than my (tube) MicroZOTL 2 or my GS-X MK2.  I also think the headphone is good for most genres. I need more experience to say for sure.  I've been listening mostly to classic rock and easy listening.  If I had to compare it to a headphone others may know, I might say the AKG 812 which in my mind does plenty right, but has excessive treble, and a slightly dry, but clean sound.  I think the Dharma may have a slightly brighter upper midrange, which I actually think is an advantage over the AKG which in the mids can sometimes sound slightly mellow.  I also briefly compared the Dharma to the McIntosh and the Dharma has a thicker, more full-bodied sound.  I compared the Dharma to the HD800.  I'm not sure I would say it is better than the HD800, but I would say that the Dharma has more impact in the lower frequencies, which is welcomed by me.  The soundstage of the HD800 is probably better, but not significantly so to me..

I really need to listen further before my impressions can be credible but I thought I'd throw a few of my initial impressions out there.  Of course everyone hears things differently and I would not be surprised to see some disagree with my assessment. I also am a believer in burn in, though my experience with burn-in isn't always positive, I am hopeful that the Dharma will continue to improve with time.  I own many flagships (AKG, Audeze, Audio Technica, Grado, Hifiman, Oppo, Audio Zenith, Sennheiser, Stax to name a few) and I would say the Dharma will likely fall near the top of my list.

I know it's been some time since you heard the Dharma, but from memory did you feel the Dharma benefited specifically from one of your amps? I ask as I've purchased a Dharma and I'm listening with the HP amp in Nuprime DAC-10h which is the hub of a speaker system.  I'm debating if I'd want to throw in another HP amp at some point or build a separate HP rig separate from my speaker rig. The DAC-10h is excellent and the HP amp stage is one of its stronger suits, but I can't help wondering about other possibilities further down the road.

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #1,179 of 1,237

I know it's been some time since you heard the Dharma, but from memory did you feel the Dharma benefited specifically from one of your amps? I ask as I've purchased a Dharma and I'm listening with the HP amp in Nuprime DAC-10h which is the hub of a speaker system.  I'm debating if I'd want to throw in another HP amp at some point or build a separate HP rig separate from my speaker rig. The DAC-10h is excellent and the HP amp stage is one of its stronger suits, but I can't help wondering about other possibilities further down the road.

Actually, it's been less than a day since I have heard the Dharma.  It remains one of my favorite headphones.  I have listened with the following amps - Liquid Carbon, Microzotl2, Grado, GS-X MK2, Oppo HA-1, JDS labs, and Bryston BHA-1.  I really like the liquid carbon.  The Dharma benefits from an amp that controls bass well, and an amp that is not bright in the upper mids.  I also find the mids of the Dharma slightly recessed so, depending on your taste, you may like an amp with a neutral to warm and slightly forward / intimate sound signature. - But again, that depends on your preference.  Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,180 of 1,237
  Actually, it's been less than a day since I have heard the Dharma.  It remains one of my favorite headphones.  I have listened with the following amps - Liquid Carbon, Microzotl2, Grado, GS-X MK2, Oppo HA-1, JDS labs, and Bryston BHA-1.  I really like the liquid carbon.  The Dharma benefits from an amp that controls bass well, and an amp that is not bright in the upper mids.  I also find the mids of the Dharma slightly recessed so, depending on your taste, you may like an amp with a neutral to warm and slightly forward / intimate sound signature. - But again, that depends on your preference.  Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

No, that's great..very helpful. I'm looking forward to listening to mine at a meet on different set ups. I very much like the response I'm getting from my Nuprime DAC-10h, but I don't have any other basis of comparison. Inner Fidelity recently posted a review of my DAC/amp. It's overall pretty neutral with maybe just a bit of smoothness to the mids  but not warm per se. It has good control over the low end so that bodes well. I'd like to hear the Dharma on a tube amp or at least a warmer amp at some point just to compare. Bummer that Liquid Carbon was a limited release.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,181 of 1,237
These sound excellent out of vintage speaker amps...................anyone else try that?  Oh, and Audeze pads are another excellent upgrade. 

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,182 of 1,237
So, I've only had regular single ended stock cables in the past. Now, I've got a balanced DAC/AMP and I've been researching cables for my first potential after market upgrade.

I'd like to maximize it's potential within reason. So, I'm Thinking about getting a Norne copper occ litz Norne Draug 2 cable w/ my Dharma. I think it deserves it
happy_face1.gif

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,183 of 1,237

No, that's great..very helpful. I'm looking forward to listening to mine at a meet on different set ups. I very much like the response I'm getting from my Nuprime DAC-10h, but I don't have any other basis of comparison. Inner Fidelity recently posted a review of my DAC/amp. It's overall pretty neutral with maybe just a bit of smoothness to the mids  but not warm per se. It has good control over the low end so that bodes well. I'd like to hear the Dharma on a tube amp or at least a warmer amp at some point just to compare. Bummer that Liquid Carbon was a limited release.

There will be a CANJAM or CANJAM type event at the next Captial Audio Fest in Rockville MD in July (I don't have any more details at this time).  That should be a good chance to hear differenct amps.

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,185 of 1,237
  There will be a CANJAM or CANJAM type event at the next Captial Audio Fest in Rockville MD in July (I don't have any more details at this time).  That should be a good chance to hear differenct amps.

I'm definitely going. I've attended the last two years. My entire two channel dedicated set up was a result of meeting some great folks there. Hopefully, they'll be a hood headphone gear room. Last year it was just a Headfi meet. The year before they had a large room with venders, etc. I've always had fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back