ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
May 7, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,216 of 1,237
Whats your setup - amp,dac,source? From what I've heard, some stuff does sound funky - but I think thats just because its a bad/poorly made recording more than anything else. Because with all these albums, I've never liked the way they sounded with headphones I've had - they all just sounded wrong to me. So it's not the cans, it's the actual recording - so thats not the Dharmas fault. I'd rather have a headphone thats more neutral than overly colored (like a Grado) - even though the Dharma isnt as neutral sounding as the Senns - the downside is, a bad recording doesn't sound great. 

I found D1000 a very natural and accurate headphones , and with good sources and recording (I only use the lowest of 16/44.1 or higher), it sounds is a bliss. For example, I tried it with micro IDSD and it does wonderful because micro IDSD is such a capable and powerful device. It energy supplied is so constant and linear together with it slightly warmer and thicker unique tonal body, it compliment the D1000 very very well from across the spectrum. However the D1000 made me realized and confirmed that my PHA-3 was lacking in the dynamic punches and weaker tonal body in upper bass and lower mid, when both PHA-3 and micro IDSD were paired with Zx2. Later on, I found out that the dongle cables accessory that I bought to pair with micro IDSD did some works to help with the sound. So I went on to try this dongle with Zx2 and it did improve the PHA-3 sound when pairing with zx2. However, the micro IDSD remains strongly impressive even when paired on a smartphone and output toward D1000.

This is the level of accuracy and sources pickiness that is too real to pass by.

May 7, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #1,217 of 1,237
Sounds cool. I actually like the fact that it is picky - it makes me think it is reproducing the recording accurately. I could be completely wrong about this - it's just how I'm feeling about it. With most of my music, alot of streaming from Tidal and also some FLAC/other stuff - the sound is great. I really appreciate them so far. I was looking at the micro iDSD but am thinking about waiting for a standalone DAC that can read MQA - even though I'm not sure if the MQA format is all its cracked up to be. There's always so much hype surrounding new audio stuff it seems, I try not to get too excited - it just leads to being disappointed. Nice to hear your thoughts on these cans - I think so far, they are a winner. I am waiting to compare them to a pair of MrSpeaker Ethers. Hopefully one of these two will be my next headphones - I just cant tolerate Grado anymore. 

May 7, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,218 of 1,237
Sounds cool. I actually like the fact that it is picky - it makes me think it is reproducing the recording accurately. I could be completely wrong about this - it's just how I'm feeling about it. With most of my music, alot of streaming from Tidal and also some FLAC/other stuff - the sound is great. I really appreciate them so far. I was looking at the micro iDSD but am thinking about waiting for a standalone DAC that can read MQA - even though I'm not sure if the MQA format is all its cracked up to be. There's always so much hype surrounding new audio stuff it seems, I try not to get too excited - it just leads to being disappointed. Nice to hear your thoughts on these cans - I think so far, they are a winner. I am waiting to compare them to a pair of MrSpeaker Ethers. Hopefully one of these two will be my next headphones - I just cant tolerate Grado anymore. 

I personally would stick with DSD instead :D . Mojo does with MQA, you may want to look into it. But Mojo is more neutral when compared to micro IDSD warmth, I am not sure how well the d1000 and mojo may turn out to be though

May 24, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,219 of 1,237
I have only been listening for a short while. I am just trying to find a headphone I enjoy enough to buy and not want to re-sell in two months, to be frank. I had the Audeze EL8 and Hifiman 400i and sold them both - I just found things about them I didn't like after listening to em for a while. I currently use a pair of older (2002-03) Grado RS1s with a Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ HD tube amp. I cant stand the shrillness/treble/highs of the grado anymore, it sometimes hurts my ears. From all the headphones I've sampled, these are the most right - they are, to me, a good combination of a neutral sound (i.e. what the HD800S sounded like) and a fun, lively sound - like a grado. thats just how it sounds to me. i am new to this hobby and don't know how to explain it in musical terms (i.e. the analytical graphs I've seen). I just know they sound good - they're well balanced - not overly bass heavy, no shrill treble like Grado can be. I am really enjoying them - they breathe life into music. I reallly wanted to love the Senns - I think with a better/perfect amp compared to what I have, they might be awesome. But with my amp, they sounded almost sterile - i.e. not as much personality/not as much fun as these, and I don't have thousands to spend on a luxury amp right now. I really enjoy them so far, I havent made up my mind if I'm going to buy them. But I'm leaning towards it. 

Again - I'm new to this hobby - that's just how these headphones sound me . Nice combination of neutral and fun/lively sound. No major complaints so far. These headphone sseem to be polarizing - some people love them, some people say they have too many faults to be worthy of their price. I dig em though. 

This is exactly how i would explain them. I think you hit it right on the head on how these sound. Very Fun but also they have all the detail in the highs and mids that the HD800 have, From what I can remember, the Ether has stronger bass than these but they are very balanced sounding and are very musical, in my opinion. But the Ether can be spiky in the highs.

Jul 7, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #1,221 of 1,237
If any D1000 users are interested, I am going to list my modified stock cable in the For Sale forum here on Head-Fi. I took the stock cable that came with the D1000 and cut it at 7 feet. I then terminated it with a 4-pin balanced Neutrik male connector. Cut the other end of the cord with the stock 1/4" plug 1 foot long and terminated it with a female 4-pin Neutrik connector. So you have a 7 foot balanced cable and a 1 foot 1/4" adaptor cable if you need to use an amp that's not balanced. Price will be $75 including PayPal fee and USPS Priority mail shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,222 of 1,237
New dharma owner checking in here!

First thought is that the HD800 and PS1000 got together... And well, you know the rest :)

Rolled some angled velour pads from Brainwavz on and that seemed to add a little low end, which I like. Any others using non-stock pads on these guys.

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,223 of 1,237

First thought is that the HD800 and PS1000 got together... And well, you know the rest :)

Indeed. Do you find the bass loose? That why I didnt buy it. It was a fun sound though

Rolled some angled velour pads from Brainwavz on and that seemed to add a little low end, which I like. Any others using non-stock pads on these guys.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #1,224 of 1,237

Make sure you audition a D1000 that has some hours of use. I thought the bass on mine was definitely loose when they were new but it does tighten up with use. Still probably has a little bit of bass bump sometimes but I am happy with the bass now. I rarely notice any bass problems now and the ability to hear so much high end detail is great for 66 year old ears. The type of full range driver the D1000 uses, which is a small cone type driver and is similar to what the NightHawk and Fostex non-planars use, does take a while to break in.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,225 of 1,237

First thought is that the HD800 and PS1000 got together... And well, you know the rest
smily_headphones1.gif

I put Audeze lambskin pads on my Dharma when I had it (sold it), attached with the double sided tape that comes with the pads.  REALLY added bass to these great headphones.

For the record, it was my second favorite headphone to my HE-6.  Only sold it to raise some $ and knowing it wouldn't get much headtime with my favorite headphone being the HE-6. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,226 of 1,237

I put Audeze lambskin pads on my Dharma when I had it (sold it), attached with the double sided tape that comes with the pads.  REALLY added bass to these great headphones.

For the record, it was my second favorite headphone to my HE-6.  Only sold it to raise some $ and knowing it wouldn't get much headtime with my favorite headphone being the HE-6. 

I gotcha. Thank you sir!

Jul 22, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,227 of 1,237

First thought is that the HD800 and PS1000 got together... And well, you know the rest
smily_headphones1.gif

How are you liking them, Joe? I keep meaning to try the Audeze pads. I just bought an aftermarket cable.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #1,228 of 1,237
How are you liking them, Joe? I keep meaning to try the Audeze pads. I just bought an aftermarket cable.

I like them quite a bit. Prefer them over any version of the HD800 I've heard. Not to mention they are super easy to drive. I still think I prefer the PS by a hair but that's because I like a little more thump than what is perfectly neutral. I think I'd recommend the Dharma to anyone who likes the detail retrieval of the 800, but finds its low end a little too polite.

Jul 27, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #1,229 of 1,237

Slip into place.................because the ring gap is small it takes a bit of doing but after doing it a few times now it's a five minute swap.

I've been rushing through this entire thread in anticipation of my new Dharmas, and I forgot to note what is the model # or some way to indentify the specific Audeze lambskin ear pads you are recommending. And suggested retailer/source?

Thanks!

Jul 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,230 of 1,237

I've been rushing through this entire thread in anticipation of my new Dharmas, and I forgot to note what is the model # or some way to indentify the specific Audeze lambskin ear pads you are recommending. And suggested retailer/source?

Thanks!

Just get them direct from Audeze.  They`ve shipped 2 sets to me here in Tokyo; their online store is simple and their tracked shipping is fast and efficient.  I would definitely recommend the `vegan` alcantara pads rather than lambskin: much more comfortable, IMO.  YMMV.  They also ship with sets of double-sided adhesive rings - not sure if that will work with the Dharma or not, but on the hifimans it`s super slick.  Here`s the link: 

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/lcd-earpads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back