ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Mar 5, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,156 of 1,237
A number of reviews suggest tube amplification. I'm solid state, fairly neutral sound. Thoughts?

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,157 of 1,237
Keep the option open of using Audeze Vegan or Lambskin pads on the Dharma..............it really does liven up the bass, which is pretty darn good stock.  The pads are the one thing I think need improvement on this headphone. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,158 of 1,237
  A number of reviews suggest tube amplification. I'm solid state, fairly neutral sound. Thoughts?

They sound really good w/ my Burson 160D though not at lower volumes.  I was wondering the same about tube amps - I'll read through the thread to see what others have found.  I thought about getting a balanced cable (if anyone is making them now) and trying my Bottlehead 2A3.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,159 of 1,237
I  have demo pair of Dharma's. After I plug the cables into the phones there is a lot of play in the cable connectors. They are loose and wiggle around quite a bit. Anyone else notice this? I really wish the manufacturer had used 3/32" male connectors like Oppo, Audioquest, and HiFiMan as they make a tighter connection instead of the Sennheiser H800 connectors they are using.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,160 of 1,237
  I  have demo pair of Dharma's. After I plug the cables into the phones there is a lot of play in the cable connectors. They are loose and wiggle around quite a bit. Anyone else notice this? I really wish the manufacturer had used 3/32" male connectors like Oppo, Audioquest, and HiFiMan as they make a tighter connection instead of the Sennheiser H800 connectors they are using.

Not on any of the three I've listened to - in fact all three were/are very tight fit in the cup. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #1,161 of 1,237
If memory serves me correctly ,with my HD800 connectors( before I removed them & straightwired my headphone cable directly to the headphones driver terminals) you had to insert the cable & slightly twist it to make sure the male connector was completely seated. I was never entirely happy with this connection,as the cables could work fine w/o being entirely seated. It's a bit puzzling why anyone would think it was necessary to use a "re-invent the wheel" type of connector on an over $1k headphone.

Sennheiser (& as a result the Enigma Dharma) probably would have been better off sticking with some type of 3/32" pin connectors arrangement (Maybe, Enigma was able to buy a significant amount of these connectors from wherever Senn was buying them for a great discount) (Although, the connector's seating on the Dharma looks to be a lot more secure than how it was attached to the HD800)

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,162 of 1,237
I should be able to use an aftermarket HD800 cable like this one for my Dharmas Correct??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sennheiser-hd800-headphone-cable-version-2-Solid-Silver-7ft-99-999/321534752278?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3D14fafafa113141c79598ab6b6c93d47e%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D321534752278%26clkid%3D3883556171220820556&_qi=RTM2247625

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,163 of 1,237
  I should be able to use an aftermarket HD800 cable like this one for my Dharmas Correct??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sennheiser-hd800-headphone-cable-version-2-Solid-Silver-7ft-99-999/321534752278?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3D14fafafa113141c79598ab6b6c93d47e%26pid%3D100085%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D321534752278%26clkid%3D3883556171220820556&_qi=RTM2247625

I don't think the connectors on this cable will fit in the Dharma. I think they are too 'fat' to fit in the Dharma's recessed connection. These connectors are fairly new and are wider and have a larger opening in the rear than the stock connectors so that larger wire can be used. It doesn't matter how large the body of the connectors are for the HD800 because they fit flush to the outside, they aren't recessed at all. There is no extra clearance on the Dharma's where the connector slides into the recess and plugs in.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #1,164 of 1,237
Or anywhere that makes after-market headphone cable (such as plusSound; I've never bought anything on EBay, I prefer go to onlline stores).

Just remember to mark the box for headphone connectors "Sennfeiser HD800 /HD800S" they may or may also list "Enigma Dharma" . Regardless, they are the same connectors. You will normally be able to choose from a few different kind of cables to choose from. I like using cables that have been Cryo'd .(The Cyro'd fuse I use in my headphone amp adds a bit more "openness" to the sound, So it appears to be a natural addition to have the cables treated as well.. I prefer cryo'd Litz copper to Silver wire)

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,166 of 1,237
Hi all,
I've had my Dharma about a week and I'm having a blast. A couple of comments and observations I'd be interested in your feedback either confirming or expressing different views.

My set up

first this is my first "high-end" headphone coming from Grados. I've spent most of my resources putting together a little two way stereo system in a listening room/computer room over the past couple of years and now this kind of book ends what I've got. My source is a CDP and a Sonos Connect-I mostly listen to my ripped CDs into lossless files on  NAS, no high res yet. I'll also do a little sreaming from Spotify through Sonos or my PC which also feeds into my dedicated DAC. Everything runs through a Nuprime DAC 10-h which handles digital to analog conversion, preamp duties and has a pretty good headphone amp with balanced and unbalanced outs. It's not just one of those add on HP amp deals; not uber high end , but pretty legit. I think it's a solid piece of gear and is the brains of my system.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nuprime-dac-10h-digital-analog-converter-headphone-amp#UwQzmQXiIyf15Obp.97

I have Clones Monblock 5PM W amps and Robson Acoustics Opulus speakers (small UK outfit you've probably never heard of in the states-just one US dealer).  It's a musical little system.

The speakers are on either side of my computer and I have a listening chair about 7 ft back from the speakers to facilitate  a triangle listening orientation to facilitate decent "dedicated listening".

But, when I'm working at the computer, my speakers are inches from me. So, in come the HP upgrade.

I listen to a lot of rock, indie, metal, grunge, punk and a respectable amount of classical and jazz. Some ambient electronic. Singer songwriters, alternative folkish rock.  All over the map, but I'm primarily a rock and metal guy. But, I do like and appreciate good fidelity.

Observations: So, I don't have a great frame of reference. I've listened at meets and I almost went with an LCD-2, but I've also considered the HE560 and recently listened to the Ether and HE1000.

I like this HP very much. Massive step up from my RS1i.

Pros: The Dharma is Easy to drive even from my Ipod but clearly benefits from my dedicated rigs electronics. I think it has strong soundstage with strong imaging. Listening to Sabbath's Paranoid, Steely Dan's Aja or the Beatles Abbey Road, I can close my eyes and pinpoint the location of individual sounds.

I agree that it  has  exceptionally clean, detailed and fast top end perhaps slightly emphasized over the lower end with an overall neutral, and dynamic character, gorgeous tonal balance, clean mids and highs; enjoyable across genres.

It enjoys some of the ethereal attributes I remember of planar magnetic headphones with a lighter touch. The characteristics of electrostatics seem come through on the top end: clarity, focus, inner details and transparency. This is an honest headphone in that it reproduces the character of the recording (be it warm, bright, etc.) Great can for most metal, rock, jazz and classical.

Cons: Not forgiving of poor recordings! This has been kind of "ouch"..... and will expose the flaws of the music you feed it. Base is tight and detailed but extension in the low end could be stronger.  For extremely downtuned metal that reaches deep into the nether reaches of sub base, it really doesn't cut it, and I'd like some of the Audeze base extension for EDM. But, my preference in hifi generally, is for a non-fatiguing, more neutral, balanced sound with a just touch of warmth, but not necessarily tube warmth. I don't want to lose the focus, resolution and clarity. The moderate base it's something I can live with for the small percentage of music that it is not ideal with. For the fast majority of what I listen to, I don't have issues with the base and it's balanced and confident, but I'd say well heeled.

I believe overall it's fairly neutral and takes on the characteristics of the recording.

I'd say the biggest downside is that it's maybe too honest? It really exposes the flaws in some recordings when listening to my dedicated rig. Right now my biggest issue is that it can be pretty brutal on a lot of metal and alternative/indie punk kind of stuff that is overly compressed, poorly recorded or just low-fi. Much of my classic and indie rock sounds terrific: Beatles remasters, Steven Wilson, Rush, Sababth, Zeppelin, Floyd are all delightful to listen to.

One thing I've found is that when I listen to my Ipod, while not ideal, it seems smooths out the rough edges. It would be interesting to listen to the Dharma on a nice DAP or some of the upscale Headfi rigs (thinking of the Yggdrasil/DNA Stratus tube amp rig I heard recently or perhaps one of those high end Cavelli amps).

Anyhoo, I've noticed that the same tracks that were almost harsh in the treble region (such as old 80's metal and some rock) sound smoother on my freaking Ipod! Of course without the more resolving DAC and proper amplication, there are other significant sonic loses.

But, there definitely is an unforgiving quality to some of my recordings. If that was all I heard, I would say the treble was overly emphasized verging on sibilant, but when I put on something with better production values, often singer songwriters (Sufjan Stevens, Joe Henry) it sounds lovely, balanced and heavenly.

But, I'd say it's recording dependent. Even my old classic rock that wasn't recorded very well-some of my beloved Dylan and J. Hendrix while certainly listenable, are less enjoyable. But, something like the '09 remaster of Abbey Road or Wish you Were Here or Aja-brilliant, Miles Davis, etc. Brilliant.

Thoughts?

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,167 of 1,237
Or anywhere that makes after-market headphone cable (such as plusSound; I've never bought anything on EBay, I prefer go to onlline stores).

Just remember to mark the box for headphone connectors "Sennfeiser HD800 /HD800S" they may or may also list "Enigma Dharma" . Regardless, they are the same connectors. You will normally be able to choose from a few different kind of cables to choose from. I like using cables that have been Cryo'd .(The Cyro'd fuse I use in my headphone amp adds a bit more "openness" to the sound, So it appears to be a natural addition to have the cables treated as well.. I prefer cryo'd Litz copper to Silver wire)

If you are ordering a cable for the Dharma, you must specify it is for the Dharma and not the HD800. The stock Dharma connectors are bare metal where they plug into the phone-no heatshrink tubing. Most builders use heatshrink tubing on the HD800 connectors. HD800 connectors with heatshrink tubing on them won't fit, the heatshrink tubing makes them too big. The builder should know to reduce the amount of heatshrink tubing for the Dharma. I have Norne Audio and Charleston Cable Co cables with HD800 connectors and neither of them will fit into the Dharma unless I want to remove most of the heatshrink tubing.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,168 of 1,237
  If you are ordering a cable for the Dharma, you must specify it is for the Dharma and not the HD800. The stock Dharma connectors are bare metal where they plug into the phone-no heatshrink tubing. Most builders use heatshrink tubing on the HD800 connectors. HD800 connectors with heatshrink tubing on them won't fit, the heatshrink tubing makes them too big. The builder should know to reduce the amount of heatshrink tubing for the Dharma. I have Norne Audio and Charleston Cable Co cables with HD800 connectors and neither of them will fit into the Dharma unless I want to remove most of the heatshrink tubing.

Good points.  I have a Norne Audio Vanquish cable that I trimmed the heat shrink back about 3/8" to allow the connectors to fit in the Dharma. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #1,169 of 1,237
It's easy enough to shoot whoever you're getting your aftermarket Dharma cable from an Email to see if how far or even if the these particular connectors have shink that will prevent them from being inserted far enough into the Dharma as opposed to an HD800.

A quick look at both headphones, appears to show the connector going about the same distance into the Hps.
(I really think this going to a non - issue , due to the fact inserting these connectors into the HD800 would present the same difficulties; but as always I could be mistaken)

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,170 of 1,237

Users who are viewing this thread

Back