Empire Ears Discussion Thread
Oct 29, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #61 of 90
  Just a few thoughts after spending a few weeks with EE's latest...

I've been trying out some things from EarWerkz lately, and over time, they've made a few tweaks and changes to their drivers. And they've been improving, working behind the scenes, diligently taking feedback and turning them into works of art.

The first time I tried the Cerberus 3 (low sensitivity), I was absolutely blown away. This IEM absolutely demolishes every other C/IEM I've tried, from the GR07 (+ BE's), Aurisonics Rockets, everything... I've never heard anything with such amazing clarity, crisp highs, beautifully textured and visceral bass, and amazing mids... I'm addicted to these. These are pure bliss.

Someone help. I can't seem to get these out of my ears, because I don't even want to try. 

Sounds promising. Have you tried any others from EE?

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #62 of 90
  Great website... nice lineup names too.

So the Legend is not ported over... maybe something even better with the Athena line?

If the Athena is better than the Legend, I'm a buyer!

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #65 of 90
Big bro to the Supra?

You could say that about the universal Supra. The old custom Supra was warmer than the uni. No idea if that's changed with porting over to Empire Ears but possible so due to different bore tubes being used now; however the Supra wasn't part of the lineup demos I'll be covering, so it's a bit of a guess. At any rate the Spartan sounds bigger, more refined and articulate over the old Supra. Most importantly clarity of all the models are a step up over previous generations.

I've tried the Cerberus 3 custom and universal editions, with and without the Starlight cable.

The final tuning ended up being less overall bass than the prototype as far as I recall. Did you get to hear the final version? Is your custom similar or different? How does the reduced sensitivity affect the overall sound compared to the higher sensitivity? Lol, sorry for all the questions!

I'll have to compare my Legend R to the Athena for the overview.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #66 of 90

If the Athena is better than the Legend, I'm a buyer!

Better can be subjective, but I did compare the Legend Omega  (universal 'tester' version) with a prototype universal Athena VIII.  I bought the Athena!!!!!  (it's only been 24 hours since I even new what it was called).  Short answer: The Athena is more dynamic and detailed, and less bass-centric than the Legend-R.  I have very curved/bent ear canals that are quite wide, but ellipsoidal, so I have fit/seal problems with lots of universals.  That said, the Legend-R tester fit quite well, but I speculated that it might have a bit too much bass for me, once done in a universal.   It was really good, and I would have been more than happy if I didn't already have another ciem with a '10' in it's name.  I thought the Legend-R was competitive with it, but the Athena beat it in dynamics and resolution.  The Athena is a bit more forward, but it is explosively dynamic, driven by my Lotoo PAW Gold.  It sounds very natural, without being overly smooth and pretty.  

While this may sound like I am damning them with faint praise, I want to say that I love my Athenas.  They are amazing sounding, and it was a pleasure to do business with Jack and company.  I have no shortage of great gear to listen to, and the Athenas are my go-to on the go.  I almost never leave home without them in my pocket.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #67 of 90
Was just comparing my custom Legend R with the Athena demo. I can agree with most sentiments above but I'll say while 'forward' sounding, it's not as up close and personal like the Legend. There is more room to breathe. I'll save the rest of my personal thoughts for this weekends overview but the Athena bests the Legend R in most aspects.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #69 of 90
Oct 29, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #71 of 90
Great work with the impressions so far. Now the Athena has tickled my interest.

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #72 of 90
Why are all trying the Athena, not the Appollo.

I tried it because Jack sent it to me for feedback, when he sent me the Legend-Omega  audition sample after I placed an order for the customs- so I could decide whether to get the R or the Omega- it was not a gift...

edited-it was the Omega, not the R-- my bad!

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #74 of 90
Apollo X thoughts coming soon!

Can't wait! 
biggrin.gif

Edit: Sorry, I was too tired. I read your "Apollo" as "Athena".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back