Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #39,856 of 40,566
Hey
I've committed to buy a pair of Legend X - as a Bravado Mk2 owner who likes them a lot but feels they're missing something, is this going to be a significant step up, or am I likely to be selling the Legend X on a week or two after receiving them?
I can maybe give a little light on this. I actually have a pair of Bravado MKII and recently bought a pair of legend X. I really like the bravado MKII and had read alot about the legend X. I finally bit the bullet and bought a used set and they are really nice upgrade to my bravado.
The bravado is nicely balanced but the legend X i would say goes a little deeper and has a warmer tone overall. Sometimes its a bit much for some music but for jazz i had found it was great. To me the bravado is a nicer all rounder for rock, soundtracks and alot of other genres. The legend X can have a little over powering bass on some rock songs I found, which is why have it listed for sale. Recently I got some new symbio tips for the legend X and it has improved the sound to the point where I am questioning about maybe keeping them.
The legend X still thunders in the bass just sometimes feel the bravado has tighter bass.
The legend X are definitely smaller iem than bravado MKII.
Sorry I am really bad at explaining things but hope this helps you in your decision.

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #39,857 of 40,566
I've committed to buy a pair of Legend X - as a Bravado Mk2 owner who likes them a lot but feels they're missing something, is this going to be a significant step up, or am I likely to be selling the Legend X on a week or two after receiving them?
Legend X is definitely an upgrade if you prefer its smoother tone and significantly better technical performance (resolution, stage, imaging etc.). Its technical performance alone justifies the price jump, but I prefer it tonally as well.

I'm biased of course, but to me Legend X is EE's best IEM, and the one they're still best known for. The fact that it's still being made and sold for the same price as it was in 2018 should tell you something.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #39,858 of 40,566
To add to the Legend X discussion, I find that it responds well to different cables. The best pairing I have heard to date is with the PWA 1950’s. These two together have great synergy and really displays just how good the Legend X can perform. A cheaper option is the Effect Audio Code 23. Once again great synergy with that and Legend X. The only thing to be aware of with Code 23 is how thick and rigid it is. On the good side though it can double up as a handy weapon if you ever get attacked!

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #39,859 of 40,566
To add to the Legend X discussion, I find that it responds well to different cables. The best pairing I have heard to date is with the PWA 1950’s. These two together have great synergy and really displays just how good the Legend X can perform. A cheaper option is the Effect Audio Code 23. Once again great synergy with that and Legend X. The only thing to be aware of with Code 23 is how thick and rigid it is. On the good side though it can double up as a handy weapon if you ever get attacked!
I agree, one of the things I like most about LX is the extent to which cable changes can calibrate its sound presentation.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #39,860 of 40,566
I agree, one of the things I like most about LX is the extent to which cable changes can calibrate its sound presentation.
LX is my only EE that doesn’t get a little EQ. I use the Genesis EVO cable for a little more punch. Speaking of EQ. My Odin is getting a lot more time because of the convolution eq available from AutoEQ and roon implementation. It gets totally rid of the shouty mids while maintaining the Odin clarity. I also bump a 105hz shelf but that’s just me. I spent many early audiophile years afraid to touch the tone controls or the loudness switch.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #39,861 of 40,566
Good to see the LX still being relevant. It is the IEM that made me stop chasing my perfect sound, it was it. Incredible fit too, I am back to discomfort land searching for a TWS after leaving the headphone game a few years back due to constant discomfort.

I chased tips, cable and even a DAP to fit around the LX. Settled with Azla sedna earfit light (normal length) as these don’t restrict the sound like the Final ones or most small bore I got, was a massive change in sound. I have boxes of tips now.

Then the cable, the ddHiFi air nyx that I bought blind due to a recommendation I read online and wow! Not the most ergonomics, far from it but opened up the soundstage and did not restrict the bass like silver (Dunu and Lavricables) cables I had did.

Finally went all in with the DAP. LPGT ti. Trying to go full neutral and boy did it deliver.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #39,862 of 40,566
LX is my only EE that doesn’t get a little EQ. I use the Genesis EVO cable for a little more punch. Speaking of EQ. My Odin is getting a lot more time because of the convolution eq available from AutoEQ and roon implementation. It gets totally rid of the shouty mids while maintaining the Odin clarity. I also bump a 105hz shelf but that’s just me. I spent many early audiophile years afraid to touch the tone controls or the loudness switch.
I should look into AutoEQ. Any tips or links would be appreciated.

Jan 5, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #39,863 of 40,566
I should look into AutoEQ
Just make sure you don't use old shouty harman target and the likes.
I personally mastered parametric eq and set it up manually. It helped bring some of my cheaper sets to totally new heights.
I don't use any eq with LX though, it instantly gets messed up, loses it's charm and character.

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #39,864 of 40,566
Speaking of EQ. My Odin is getting a lot more time because of the convolution eq available from AutoEQ and roon implementation. It gets totally rid of the shouty mids while maintaining the Odin clarity. I also bump a 105hz shelf but that’s just me. I spent many early audiophile years afraid to touch the tone controls or the loudness switch.
Interesting. I tried the AutoEQ settings for Odin using my AK2000T w/Hybrid Tube On and it opened it up fairly nicely. I never had an issue with the mid-treble lift others do, but I did have a slight issue with real upper treble extension not being enough for me. And the bottom end, although fun, was at times a bit too full.

This gives a much more "Zeus" feel to the Odin (transparency). It's really dependent on source material, of course, but so far I'm enjoying it. I'll try the AK1000SS next and see what it does with that.

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #39,865 of 40,566
Here are the AutoEQ settings for Odin when entered into roon parametric eq. The 4db bass boost from 8db to 12db is just me.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.png
    IMG_0318.png
    407.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0317.png
    IMG_0317.png
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0316.png
    IMG_0316.png
    334.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #39,866 of 40,566
Told EE about my predicament that I left the country for work and my family is leaving soon as well. By now there is no chance anymore to get the Raven back.

For several weeks, I asked EE for solutions to avoid the Raven being left behind after departure. First I was asked to be patient. Now I don’t get any reply at all any more. So frustrated with Raven and EE.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #39,867 of 40,566
Told EE about my predicament that I left the country for work and my family is leaving soon as well. By now there is no chance anymore to get the Raven back.

For several weeks, I asked EE for solutions to avoid the Raven being left behind after departure. First I was asked to be patient. Now I don’t get any reply at all any more. So frustrated with Raven and EE.

Ask for refund, then get them when they're widely available.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #39,869 of 40,566
Ask for refund, then get them when they're widely available.

1000X +++

He was one of the Raven v1 recipients, and sent it in directly to Empire Ears for replacement when directed by them to do so. So it's no longer as easy as just canceling the preorder with the retailer.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #39,870 of 40,566
He was one of the Raven v1 recipients, and sent it in directly to Empire Ears for replacement when directed by them to do so. So it's no longer as easy as just canceling the preorder with the retailer.

Sorry didn't know that. This is frustrating, all we need is good communication. I respect brand like Cayin & iBasso (based on personal experience) more and more in handling situation like this. I even asked iBasso to send me new DX320 box (just the box, an empty box) because the box that came with the DX320 unit is damaged when in delivery, and they granted my request, they only charge me for the shipping cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back