Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #39,827 of 40,598
I'm hardly "an apologist." But I AM an adult and the children's hour here is just wearying.

Accept the reality or get your money back.

And I SERIOUSLY doubt Jack is reading through pages and pages of people yelling at him. Yes, he talks to a few people, but coming here and reading this stuff? Please.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #39,829 of 40,598
WAHHHH. I paid good money for my toy and it's late!! I WANT it NOW. WAHHH. What? Get a refund? NOOOO ... I want my toy NOWWWW!

From Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People."

Sorry, it just slipped out of me. Apologies in advance as I show myself out...

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #39,831 of 40,598
Empire Ears has a business model that has worked up until now (and that virtually every other company in the world uses in their own ways).

After the release of the latest bestest and greatest and most advanced TOTL IEM, it immediately begins trying to make a better one. It brings demos to CanJams, it allows some people to try it out, it gets word of mouth going, it drops hints. This gets the fan base all riled up for the newest bestest and greatest most advanced IEM (forgetting that they just bought one a year ago that WAS the bestest greatest most advanced one available) and some people begin preordering and waiting for release. When the newest bestest greatest most advanced one drops, they get it first and either sell the previous one or keep both.

This is a hobby that runs on this business model. The For Sale threads are full of the latest (or earlier) models that didn't meet the hype, weren't exactly to the buyer's desires, or are being sold to raise money for the next big thing.

People here are looking for audio perfection and, sorry to say, since everyone has a different idea of audio perfection, people keep looking because they are never completely satisfied. When Raven is finally released and everyone has gotten their hands on it, we will start seeing them in the For Sale threads because of this. It happens over and over here.

Empire Ears has, up until now, had great success with this business model. Jack is a master at hyping the newest bestest greatest most advanced IEM EE is creating (that is not a dig at him, it is an observation of how savvy he is as a businessman).

Most people wait for the release of a new item, wait to read reviews, wait to check it out themselves at a dealer's shop, wait to see if their friends who got one like it. Or even wait for a used one (as I did with Odin).

Early adopters, on the other hand, DON'T WAIT. They want it now. Or sooner. So when there is a delay, they are the ones who have issues. The vast majority of Raven buyers will not be particularly affected by the delayed release.

The hardest thing to do in this hobby is to enjoy what you have and not want "better." To buy something and keep it, happily, for a long period of time.

If you don't want a broken heart because of delays, if you don't want to pay for something and then have to wait a long time for it to arrive, if you don't want frustration at being denied what you want, slow down. Wait until an actual release when there are lots of the item in the stores. Having to be first brings with it a risk.

Yes, I am old. Yes, I've been in business myself. Yes, I (mostly) have patience. Yes, I understand frustration. No, I am not apologizing for Jack or EE. Yes, I am a realist. Yes, I am an adult. No, I don't whine or get mad in public.

Some of you will think I'm full of it, no matter what I say. That's ok, that's your right. But I'M not the one freaking out on a public board. As a buyer, you have options. As an adult, you should be able to control yourself in public. And even if we are all anonymous here, it is a bad look to whine and moan and complain over and over again at things you can't control, and that EE can't control.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #39,834 of 40,598
Folks, without sounding like I’m taking sides I’d like to say.
Like any other pre-order, I see two options at this point.

1. Wait for the pre-order to ship, no matter how long it takes. After all, we pre-order stuff when we are sure we want it and most of the time it’s worth the wait.
2. Cancel the pre-order. I know this is not easy for everyone. I had to struggle a bit talking to my dealer when the shells started breaking.

Even Amazon has products on pre-order that sometimes get pushed further by months. Happened twice in the last 2 years for me.

I’m myself waiting for more Raven user impressions until I decide to buy again. Until then there’s plenty of other gear being released to lighten the wallet :wink:

Happy New Year in advance !

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #39,835 of 40,598
WAHHHH. I paid good money for my toy and it's late!! I WANT it NOW. WAHHH. What? Get a refund? NOOOO ... I want my toy NOWWWW!

From Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People."

Sorry, it just slipped out of me. Apologies in advance as I show myself out...
door-chain-fail-weird-al-yankovic.gif

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #39,837 of 40,598
It's about being a grownup. It isn't generational. I've got a son in his mid-40s who is a grownup. For that matter, I have high school students who act like grownups. And others who act their ages. I work with other teachers who sometimes don't act like grownups.

This isn't about being a boomer or an X or a Z. This is about dealing with stuff in a grown-up manner.

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #39,838 of 40,598
It's about being a grownup. It isn't generational. I've got a son in his mid-40s who is a grownup. For that matter, I have high school students who act like grownups. And others who act their ages. I work with other teachers who sometimes don't act like grownups.

This isn't about being a boomer or an X or a Z. This is about dealing with stuff in a grown-up manner.
Give up...I have tried to do exactly the same thing many times and it falls on deaf ears. They don't care what anyone but their peers say. The whole birds of a feather thing. It will click one day when wisdom befalls them, but for now wasted energy.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #39,839 of 40,598
After many months waiting, my Raven is finally in town 🥳

IMG_5149.jpeg

Excited to hear it. I can’t be bothered complaining or arguing on here anymore but I can understand peoples frustration with the long delays. IMHO I think EE have handled it pretty well all things considered. More frequent communication would’ve definitely been appreciated though. Let’s hope the end product makes the wait worthwhile.

I’m hoping the revised bass from the initial units gives it a bit more fun and engagement factor. Seeing how close the previous tuning was to Odyssey was a bit of a disappointment. Whilst I found Odyssey quite good overall, I did find its tuning a little too safe and it got boring to me pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #39,840 of 40,598
After many months waiting, my Raven is finally in town 🥳

Excited to hear it. I can’t be bothered complaining or arguing on here anymore but I can understand peoples frustration with the long delays. IMHO I think EE have handled it pretty well all things considered. More frequent communication would’ve definitely been appreciated though. Let’s hope the end product makes the wait worthwhile.

I’m hoping the revised bass from the initial units gives it a bit more fun and engagement factor. Seeing how close the previous tuning was to Odyssey was a bit of a disappointment. Whilst I found Odyssey quite good overall, I did find it tuning a little too safe and it got boring to me pretty quickly.
Nice to see Raven finally making it to people. Looking forward to your thoughts. Completely agree on Odyssey so I will be waiting for your lead on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back