Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Sep 12, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #36,391 of 40,675
I am happy with my IEMs. I have no plans to buy anymore even though new models keep coming on the market.
+1 - I have started down another path which is improving the quality of my upstream device(S) esp DAC/Amp. I have great DAPs (Cayin N6ii, Hiby R8) but the desktop setup is quite basic. This area of the hobby is extremely dynamic (meaning ‘full of claims of improved SQ’) re a plethora of devices, including all sorts of power conditioning etc. Anyone aware of a good general thread on the topic, or a good intro website? It seems that most threads on Head-fi are device specific , ie one on Topping A90, one on Gustard X26Pro. Advice?

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #36,392 of 40,675
+1 - I have started down another path which is improving the quality of my upstream device(S) esp DAC/Amp.
So, basically...
Upgraditis.jpg :wink:

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #36,393 of 40,675
Sep 12, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #36,394 of 40,675
Astell&Kern / EE Odyssey - https://us.astellnkern.com/products/odyssey ?variant=42299401896136

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...ration-with-empire-ears.964863/#post-17140768

Haven't read through it, not sure what the difference is vs Odin.

~edit -
Odyssey configuration
  • Dual W9+ Drivers - Legendary, unparalleled bass reproduction is made possible by Empire Ears purpose-built, W9+ subwoofers
  • Five Balanced Armature Drivers - Custom spec’d Knowles and Sonion balanced armatures are commissioned with a single-minded purpose of reproducing only the most pure, breathtaking mid-range frequencies
  • Dual Electrostatic Tweeters - Distortion-free, lightning-fast transient response and hyper treble extension from Sonion electrostatic drivers ensure unparalleled transparency
  • W10 Drivers - Otherworldly imaging, nuance retrieval and timbre are achieved via bone conduction from our W10 Bone Conduction Ultra Driver.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #36,396 of 40,675
Yup, bone conduction looks like the big one. Also sounds like they have an updated eivec controller for the electrostatic drivers for the highs. very curious to hear more impressions and how this being a collab with AK might impact tuning. Depending on how it is tuned, could look at it as more of a Odin with a bone conduction driver, or an EVO with electrostats, though from the cryptic comments of @CL14715 and the other few lucky ones that have heard it, it could be a new animal entirely tuning-wise. This seems like it has all the right ingredients for something special—EE is seemingly throwing everything in the toolbox into it.

Sep 12, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #36,397 of 40,675
Astell&Kern / EE Odyssey - https://us.astellnkern.com/products/odyssey ?variant=42299401896136

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ast...ration-with-empire-ears.964863/#post-17140768

~edit -
Odyssey configuration
  • Dual W9+ Drivers - Legendary, unparalleled bass reproduction is made possible by Empire Ears purpose-built, W9+ subwoofers
  • Five Balanced Armature Drivers - Custom spec’d Knowles and Sonion balanced armatures are commissioned with a single-minded purpose of reproducing only the most pure, breathtaking mid-range frequencies
  • Dual Electrostatic Tweeters - Distortion-free, lightning-fast transient response and hyper treble extension from Sonion electrostatic drivers ensure unparalleled transparency
  • W10 Drivers - Otherworldly imaging, nuance retrieval and timbre are achieved via bone conduction from our W10 Bone Conduction Ultra Driver.
So not quite the MKII with BCD folks have been asking for. Also dropping estats to fit in WX, saw that coming a mile away.

Sep 12, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #36,399 of 40,675
Definitely interested in these!

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #36,402 of 40,675
Yes, but a big difference to note value-wise (outside of the new tech like bc driver in the odyssey) is that the Odin comes with a cable that is 5x more expensive (retail) than the Ares II the odyssey comes with.

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #36,403 of 40,675

~edit -
Odyssey configuration
I heard a version of it last April when I visited Empire Ears in Norcross. IIFC, it did not sound at all like Odin or EVO. In fact, it was not what I would consider EE house sound. I found it to be complementary to EVO and Odin at the time and I liked it a lot. I plan on spending some quality time with it this weekend at CanJam Socal and will post impressions. I brought EVO, Odin and my Custom LX. I plan on comparing bass quality and quantity, upper mids and treble response on a relative basis as these are the areas which get a lot of feedback with Empire Ears IEMs. One of the prototypes I heard had a great mids focus. I cannot recall if it were this particular IEM. If it is, I will probably buy it.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #36,404 of 40,675
Yes, but a big difference to note value-wise (outside of the new tech like bc driver in the odyssey) is that the Odin comes with a cable that is 5x more expensive (retail) than the Ares II the odyssey comes with.
I almost always replace the stock cable with my IEMs. I won't be using the Ares II cable, so it's not a show stopper that they did not bundle a higher quality cable with the Odyssey.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #36,405 of 40,675
If only audio retailers have an option to let us purchase their IEMs without the cables for an adjusted reduction in price :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back