Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Mar 16, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #35,251 of 40,606
Jack made a point to tell me these were not to be his new best IEM’s. One of them I hated and the bass was less and less detailed. The other was much better but I still preferred Evo. He said he was thinking $2k or less area. I told him you already have that in the Legend. Why not just try to tighten up the bass on the Legend while somehow keeping the mids and treble the same and sell that for under $2k? He kind of smiled and then we talked about other IEM’s etc. Based on the IEM’s you have I doubt you will be into one of these as they currently exist.

Appreciate the information, thank you!

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #35,255 of 40,606
Lol. Odins a detail monster that I just wish had some more bass with better mids/more present mids. I only heard evo briefly and was not really a fan at the time
You should demo a Woo Audio WA8 with your Odins. It will give it holographic imaging like EVO and deepen its bass response.

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #35,256 of 40,606
You should demo a Woo Audio WA8 with your Odins. It will give it holographic imaging like EVO and deepen its bass response.
You have me interested in the WA8 but I'd have to buy Odin again too 😂

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #35,258 of 40,606
I need to try that. Do you like the wa8 more than the c9?
Yes, but it does not make every IEM sound better. It adds musicality and deeper bass to everything. If it already has that, it can be too much. It makes all of my headphones sound better than with a solid state amp. For IEMs, it works best with IEMs that are more neutrally tuned. Monarch mkii and Odin are great examples. For some reason, EVO sounds better, too. EXT does not sound better.

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #35,259 of 40,606
Yes, but it does not make every IEM sound better. It adds musicality and deeper bass to everything. If it already has that, it can be too much. It makes all of my headphones sound better than with a solid state amp. For IEMs, it works best with IEMs that are more neutrally tuned. Monarch mkii and Odin are great examples. For some reason, EVO sounds better, too. EXT does not sound better.
LX does sound very good too but I tend to use AB Mode sometimes with (for a song that needs a mid/bass boost) and sometimes without Korg Nutubes (for songs that are already bass boosted). Switching modes is easy and quick though I usually stop the song before doing so- a safety action that may nor may not be necessary but I do it anyway.

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #35,260 of 40,606
Lol. Odins a detail monster that I just wish had some more bass with better mids/more present mids. I only heard evo briefly and was not really a fan at the time
Add more bass and you loose some detail. Add more detail and you lose some bass. There's no such thing as a free lunch. :)

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #35,261 of 40,606
Was hoping for an odin mkii with evo bass and BCD
Sounds familiar...
Sounds like you want the… Legend Evo? 😂
Ding ding ding!
Just slap a palladium alloy cable on that bad boy and you're good to go!

If you can live with the not detail monster Evo is, that's an option.
Add more bass and you loose some detail. Add more detail and you lose some bass. There's no such thing as a free lunch. :)
Stares in Zeus and Odin

Bass and detail in spades and we both know 😉

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #35,262 of 40,606
Hey guys,

I'm not really sure how to start this, but I'm pretty upset. I was going to make an angry post last week, but I cooled off and decided to reach out to Empire Ears to see if they would rectify the situation. I emailed them 3 days ago and still no reply, so I'm making my angry post after all. TBH I just feel defeated at this point.

Last summer, I started to notice that the sockets on my Legend X were getting loose. I found a 64 Audio cable that still fit them (maybe it had thicker pins than usual?), but those cables are pretty terrible, so in October I sent the LX to EE. I put them in the pelican case and included the 64 audio cable on the side, as a reference, in case it might be useful. I wrote this in the notes of the paperwork I sent with the LX.

I was told that because I used a non-stock cable, I would not be covered under warranty. This was kind of upsetting. It took me about a month to pay because my financial situation have changed.

After I paid, communication from them was pretty rough. There was a point where I didn't receive a reply for almost a whole month.

I sent my iems out in October and I didn't get them back until early last week. Subtracting the month it took me to pay, that's 4 to 5 months. A little ridiculous but we live in weird times and I was just excited to have them back. I noticed that the package was a little light and small. I guessed that the pelican case was not in the box, and I was right. They put the LX in a little zip up case. I figured someone forgot and it'll be fixed with an email. No worries.

I then proceeded to unzip the case, and what I found left me pretty speechless and angry. Before shipping me the LX, someone plugged the ****ing 64 audio cable into it. They really used some force to get the cable in there because it took all of my finger strength to get it out. My fingers hurt for a while after extracting it.

I had a dread that the sockets were loose again, and sure enough, the cable I planned to use for the LX only caught some friction at the last bit of being plugged in. I didn't trust it to stay in and had to use a cable with somewhat bent pins.

I feel like EE claiming that I voided warranty was a huge sham since they themselves plugged a non-stock cable cable into the LX. Between the bad communication, forgetfulness, ridiculous wait time and having my warranty voided for me, there have been too many issues for this to be an isolated incident and makes me wary of EE as a company, at least post-purchase.

I haven't been following this thread much so I don't know if others have had similar experiences, but I wanted mine on the record, and hopefully someone from EE who can rectify my situation in some way will see it, since customer service has not been helpful.

Thanks for reading.

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #35,263 of 40,606
Hey guys,

I'm not really sure how to start this, but I'm pretty upset. I was going to make an angry post last week, but I cooled off and decided to reach out to Empire Ears to see if they would rectify the situation. I emailed them 3 days ago and still no reply, so I'm making my angry post after all. TBH I just feel defeated at this point.

Last summer, I started to notice that the sockets on my Legend X were getting loose. I found a 64 Audio cable that still fit them (maybe it had thicker pins than usual?), but those cables are pretty terrible, so in October I sent the LX to EE. I put them in the pelican case and included the 64 audio cable on the side, as a reference, in case it might be useful. I wrote this in the notes of the paperwork I sent with the LX.

I was told that because I used a non-stock cable, I would not be covered under warranty. This was kind of upsetting. It took me about a month to pay because my financial situation have changed.

After I paid, communication from them was pretty rough. There was a point where I didn't receive a reply for almost a whole month.

I sent my iems out in October and I didn't get them back until early last week. Subtracting the month it took me to pay, that's 4 to 5 months. A little ridiculous but we live in weird times and I was just excited to have them back. I noticed that the package was a little light and small. I guessed that the pelican case was not in the box, and I was right. They put the LX in a little zip up case. I figured someone forgot and it'll be fixed with an email. No worries.

I then proceeded to unzip the case, and what I found left me pretty speechless and angry. Before shipping me the LX, someone plugged the ****ing 64 audio cable into it. They really used some force to get the cable in there because it took all of my finger strength to get it out. My fingers hurt for a while after extracting it.

I had a dread that the sockets were loose again, and sure enough, the cable I planned to use for the LX only caught some friction at the last bit of being plugged in. I didn't trust it to stay in and had to use a cable with somewhat bent pins.

I feel like EE claiming that I voided warranty was a huge sham since they themselves plugged a non-stock cable cable into the LX. Between the bad communication, forgetfulness, ridiculous wait time and having my warranty voided for me, there have been too many issues for this to be an isolated incident and makes me wary of EE as a company, at least post-purchase.

I haven't been following this thread much so I don't know if others have had similar experiences, but I wanted mine on the record, and hopefully someone from EE who can rectify my situation in some way will see it, since customer service has not been helpful.

Thanks for reading.

Hey there. I was made aware of the situation the day of your email and advised Nathan to provide a return shipping label so that we can address the situation ASAP. If you haven't received this PM me and i'll get you squared away. If you or anyone else feels that our CS team is not responsive to your needs you're always welcome to contact me directly via Jack@EmpireEars.com or PM.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #35,264 of 40,606
Hey guys,

Thanks for reading.
Sad for your experience, mate. Quite surprising For me, to be honest. I had an RMA with them around the same time as yours and also with an LX and all was sorted out quite smoothly.

Mar 17, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #35,265 of 40,606
LX does sound very good too but I tend to use AB Mode sometimes with (for a song that needs a mid/bass boost) and sometimes without Korg Nutubes (for songs that are already bass boosted). Switching modes is easy and quick though I usually stop the song before doing so- a safety action that may nor may not be necessary but I do it anyway.
I haven't tried that yet. I will soon. I am buying the Mullard upgrade tube to see how that changes the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back