Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 24, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #34,096 of 40,730
It depends on the volume and the amount of bass in a track. I really feel the whole casing vibrating in my hands when it’s playing a bass heavy track.
I could be wrong but I think you might be feeling the W9+ vibrations. AFAIK BC vibrations are subsonic. Like I said, I could be completely wrong here. The only vibrations I'm feeling are in my face when the bass hits a certain way, I can almost feel it my chest, like real speakers. Again correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other current IEM can do this. As good as bass might be with anything else, it's not EVO bass**.

**Subjective opinion, not based on a test sample of 200 IEMs.

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #34,097 of 40,730
Don't convince me I need to spend 3x as much when I finally thought I'd be happy with a $1000 custom IEM... That's just cruel.

Oct 24, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #34,099 of 40,730
Welcome to Head-Fi... 😎
Yeah yeah... I'm not exactly new. My wallet knows the sting.

Using this as an example (ideally a better quality version, I imagine you all have FLACs of like, everything, ever)... Where do you feel it? Is it really that different than a good quality "traditional" IEM? Comparisons to the Bravado MK2 are obviously most helpful. Thanks. (I guess.)

Honestly, even if I do go EVO, I'd have to get a loaner or something first... Just can't drop that kind of money blind.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #34,100 of 40,730
I could be wrong but I think you might be feeling the W9+ vibrations. AFAIK BC vibrations are subsonic. Like I said, I could be completely wrong here. The only vibrations I'm feeling are in my face when the bass hits a certain way, I can almost feel it my chest, like real speakers. Again correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other current IEM can do this. As good as bass might be with anything else, it's not EVO bass**.

You’re probably right. This is my first set of Empire IEMs so I don’t have a reference for any other sets with the W9+.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #34,101 of 40,730
You’re probably right. This is my first set of Empire IEMs so I don’t have a reference for any other sets with the W9+.
W9+ is insane insane compared with every other IEM DD I've personally experienced. My first thought on getting the Bravado MK2 was "Weapon 9? It's just a tiny DD. Little full of themselves aren't they. Some hyperbole here." Yeah. No.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #34,102 of 40,730
I was basing my assumption off some reading up on BC I was doing for the EVO review, specifically this:

Screenshot_20211024-090240_cropped~2.png

If I'm mistaken I'll correct it in the review. Will ask @Jack Vang to clarify how WX works more specifically.

But yeah, W9+ are not only beasts, they're also precision-tuned DDs with speaker-like enclosure excursion. They're not your run-of-the-mill DDs used in most other IEMs.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #34,103 of 40,730

Awesome! What type of ear tips are you using to achieve this effect? I've tried Final E, CP 155 and CP145 but still prefer Final E for its overall sound and bass impact from the WX.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #34,104 of 40,730
Awesome! What type of ear tips are you using to achieve this effect? I've tried Final E, CP 155 and CP145 but still prefer Final E for its overall sound and bass impact from the WX.
Acoustune AET07. You'll want an eartip with a relatively firm core. I find Final E maximise bass but affect the other FRs (attenuate treble), whereas AET07 clarify mids/treble while retaining great bass impact and rumble.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #34,106 of 40,730
I was basing my assumption off some reading up on BC I was doing for the EVO review, specifically this:

If I'm mistaken I'll correct it in the review. Will ask @Jack Vang to clarify how WX works more specifically.

But yeah, W9+ are not only beasts, they're also precision-tuned DDs with speaker-like enclosure excursion. They're not your run-of-the-mill DDs used in most other IEMs.
From what I remember Jack wrote here earlier that EVO's BC driver is designed to work through eartip and doesn't rely on ear-shell contact, compared to MEST.

Edit: here's the post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...merly-earwerkz.786335/page-2170#post-16577611

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #34,107 of 40,730

Screenshot_20211024-090240_cropped~2.png

Odin doesn't vibrate at all and I have never felt vibrations like I do with Evo in any other iem (in hand or in ear) so I would have thought it was the BC driver causing this? When you hold Evo in your hand it also seems like the vibrations are coming from the region the BC driver is located.

I think it's what adds that sense of feeling the beats more than what any dynamic driver normally can, but I could be wrong too.

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #34,108 of 40,730

This has been mentioned a couple of times. You can't feel the vibration in your ears but you can in your hand. By the way, love the ** footnote

Oct 24, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #34,109 of 40,730
Acoustune AET07. You'll want an eartip with a relatively firm core. I find Final E maximise bass but affect the other FRs (attenuate treble), whereas AET07 clarify mids/treble while retaining great bass impact and rumble.
+1 thanks to your suggestion, I just got an AET07 in last week and I really like it :wink: I hear the same effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back