Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 25, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #34,126 of 40,360
Absolute eye-candy, I had to pair them to see how it goes.
Sound wise... it is the polar opposite of the EA Centurion. It took everything I had issues with the Evo and made it worse. (less texture in the bass, muffled male voice, harshness on some upper mids.)
Synergy wise, it is a big no. As much as I love this cable with the Elysian X, I am unplugging it right away with the Evo. The stock cable is better.
DSC063719.JPG
Interesting...it sounds like that the EVO doesn't quite agree with the cable.

What a shame too, since I really love the matching gold/black color of the IEM and cable... :triportsad:
Just like Traillii, I think Zeppelin in Singapore have demo in store. Malaysia and Singapore are so near. If from KL i think you can get with bus for about 8 hours. But now with Covid, i dont know if you can go to Singapore without quarantine.
Yeah that's a no go for me. We're only allowed to cross states but not country.

Still on recovery phase here.

So I guess I'm s**t outta luck for now...:sob:

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #34,127 of 40,360
Curious why things are often considered more musical if they are warmer? I have always considered things that are accurate, more musical. I would consider something like a vocal or mixing monitor analytical, not a consumer based IEM.
It's just one of those things that's stuck, like copper = warm or silver = bright. I presented my theory for it on this thread some time ago, and I posited that it was because of the correlation between the low-end and rhythm. Bass instruments (i.e. the kick drum and bass guitar) are typically the ones that drive the groove, so IEMs that emphasise those sounds will naturally have more swing or fun to them, while the stereotypical analytical IEM would rein them in, so everything gets a fair share. Again, it's not some sort of golden rule. It's just a tendency that's kinda stuck.

Interesting...it sounds like that the EVO doesn't quite agree with the cable.

What a shame too, since I really love the matching gold/black color of the IEM and cable... :triportsad:

Yeah that's a no go for me. We're only allowed to cross states but not country.

Still on recovery phase here.

So I guess I'm s**t outta luck for now...:sob:
Hey, Rin! I gave you my greetings on the Eletech thread, but I wanted to welcome you back onto this thread as well. :) I haven't seen you since, as you said, the days of the Zeus and the Arthur, but I hope you're doing well, and I hope you get to try out EE's latest sooner rather than later.

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #34,128 of 40,360
It's just one of those things that's stuck, like copper = warm or silver = bright. I presented my theory for it on this thread some time ago, and I posited that it was because of the correlation between the low-end and rhythm. Bass instruments (i.e. the kick drum and bass guitar) are typically the ones that drive the groove, so IEMs that emphasise those sounds will naturally have more swing or fun to them, while the stereotypical analytical IEM would rein them in, so everything gets a fair share. Again, it's not some sort of golden rule. It's just a tendency that's kinda stuck.

Hey, Rin! I gave you my greetings on the Eletech thread, but I wanted to welcome you back onto this thread as well. :) I haven't seen you since, as you said, the days of the Zeus and the Arthur, but I hope you're doing well, and I hope you get to try out EE's latest sooner rather than later.
Yeah it's been a while. Sadly I have so much catching up to do that I'm kinda lost to say the least. So...a lot of reading and not a lot to listen sadly due to obvious reasons.

:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #34,129 of 40,360
would Odin be like a NT6 (Hidition) on steroids ?

NT6 has send my Zeus XR collecting dust (shocking , i know) for 1 month now , but Odin may be the EE counter-attack i just need

so , any previous NT6 owners who moved on to Odin here ?

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #34,130 of 40,360
Oct 25, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #34,131 of 40,360
Oct 26, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #34,132 of 40,360
IMG_20211016_145138.jpg

My usual go to setup during work on break time.

EE Supra + Fiio Q1 MK1 (feeling old yet?)

Just had a Liquid Links Conti cable from the stock.

Here's a closer look at it.

IMG_20211024_091201.jpg

After so many years my first CIEM hasn't left my side yet. Then again that's only because I almost don't have anything else to use for my music go to that makes me happy. :ksc75smile:

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #34,134 of 40,360
Did not mean to offend, if that is how you took it in. It was not pointed towards review structure or a reviewer himself.
What I meant, was that the actual gear being reviewed seemed to so old. Almost vintage lol.
I think it was pretty obvious you meant that audio gear was evolving rapidly. If it was taken offensively someone should evaluate their sensitivity.

Oct 26, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #34,136 of 40,360
SOOO, if you had pick one pair between Traillii or Evo which are you taking? Im interested.. Yes they are two different iems- If you can have only one which is it?

Those with experience with both, I'm talking to you. :)
They are too different to directly compare. They compliment each other well and are tuned for different experiences. Both are top of the line performing.

EVO is half the price. So personally I’d take EVO and if I wanted something similar to trailli tuning, just a bit less finessed, I’d go U18s or U12t and save a fortune. $6000 is ridiculous to charge for an IEM and the second hand market is speaking volumes on that sentiment.

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #34,138 of 40,360
They are too different to directly compare. They compliment each other well and are tuned for different experiences. Both are top of the line performing.

EVO is half the price. So personally I’d take EVO and if I wanted something similar to trailli tuning, just a bit less finessed, I’d go U18s or U12t and save a fortune. $6000 is ridiculous to charge for an IEM and the second hand market is speaking volumes on that sentiment.

My impression on this since I had both to A/B ... perhaps from a different angle than already talked about ...

I really enjoyed acoustic music and some of my 90's "band" music with EVO. EVO presents the music as if you are listening in the front row. There is a unique sense of instruments popping out from the darkness. Take Joni Mitchell's "Blue" album. Her voice, acoustic guitar, dulcimer, bass, percussion, etc, all pop out distinctly. The nuances on the instruments, timbre, and decay are right in front of you to hear. If I were to visualize this, each instrument is like a tall building rising from the ground-level background. The realism of instruments is great (I think a few reviews mentioned this also). Take band music like Mr.Big/Anthrax/Europe, fusion like Chick Corea/Fourplay/Bob James, jazz like Charlie Haden/Pat Metheny/Keith Jarrett, and even classical with some of my favorite string quartets/violins (Hahn/Midori)/flute (Galway/Rampal)... the instruments sounded great to me.
6016.jpg

Traillii on the other hand gives you a smoother presentation from afar. Maybe you are now back to the mezzanine front row. Instrument timbre and details are great but you may have to actively listen to pick up on the details. It's as if you are listening to the soundscape, not the individual instruments. Although there's plenty of clarity to go dig in. Probably the lack of DD/BCD for not having the punch.
wide-angle-4643922__480.jpg

Different flavors I guess... :wink:

Oct 26, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #34,139 of 40,360
My impression on this since I had both to A/B ... perhaps from a different angle than already talked about ...

I really enjoyed acoustic music and some of my 90's "band" music with EVO. EVO presents the music as if you are listening in the front row. There is a unique sense of instruments popping out from the darkness. Take Joni Mitchell's "Blue" album. Her voice, acoustic guitar, dulcimer, bass, percussion, etc, all pop out distinctly. The nuances on the instruments, timbre, and decay are right in front of you to hear. If I were to visualize this, each instrument is like a tall building rising from the ground-level background. The realism of instruments is great (I think a few reviews mentioned this also). Take band music like Mr.Big/Anthrax/Europe, fusion like Chick Corea/Fourplay/Bob James, jazz like Charlie Haden/Pat Metheny/Keith Jarrett, and even classical with some of my favorite string quartets/violins (Hahn/Midori)/flute (Galway/Rampal)... the instruments sounded great to me.
6016.jpg

Traillii on the other hand gives you a smoother presentation from afar. Maybe you are now back to the mezzanine front row. Instrument timbre and details are great but you may have to actively listen to pick up on the details. It's as if you are listening to the soundscape, not the individual instruments. Although there's plenty of clarity to go dig in. Probably the lack of DD/BCD for not having the punch.

Great analogy and I instantly understand what you mean despite having never heard the bird

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #34,140 of 40,360

6016.jpg

Agreed! Great analogy and helps others to understand in a way that isn’t full of audio words. Haha. Seriously, what a great and thoughtful way to explain it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back