Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 24, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #34,112 of 40,573
Odin vs VE EXT- which is more musical (warmer) and less analytical?
and which is brighter and higher-mid/lower treble focused?
I haven’t heard the ODIN in a couple months, but I’m fairly confident the EXT’s the warmer one, and the ODIN’s the brighter-sounding, more upper-mid-leaning one.

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #34,113 of 40,573
`
Odin vs VE EXT- which is more musical (warmer) and less analytical?
and which is brighter and higher-mid/lower treble focused?

I have both in-house, the EXT is the warmer of the two, the Odin has an incredibly dynamic, clear midrange and treble.

Oct 24, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #34,115 of 40,573
Curious why things are often considered more musical if they are warmer? I have always considered things that are accurate, more musical. I would consider something like a vocal or mixing monitor analytical, not a consumer based IEM.
Likely because a warmer IEM is less analytical and the more analytical an IEM gets, the easier it is to get sidetracked analyzing aspects of a track rather than simply listening for pure in-the-moment enjoyment. A warmer IEM also tends to be less fatiguing for longer listens.

That being said, I’m with you. Musical for me is a more balanced tonality with an engaging, emotional midrange. Too much warmth/lack of technicality gets boring for me

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #34,116 of 40,573
Likely because a warmer IEM is less analytical and the more analytical an IEM gets, the easier it is to get sidetracked analyzing aspects of a track rather than simply listening for pure in-the-moment enjoyment. A warmer IEM also tends to be less fatiguing for longer listens.

That being said, I’m with you. Musical for me is a more balanced tonality with an engaging, emotional midrange. Too much warmth/lack of technicality gets boring for me

The Lx may still lies in your too warm / lack of technicality. But now the Evo is your perfect answer :p

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #34,117 of 40,573

That makes sense. Agreed. I guess I just find myself more engaged when I perceive a sense of true to form sound versus a relaxing soft presentation.

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #34,118 of 40,573
As a noob, I’m of the view that “musical” is a description that seems to have subjective underpinnings. What’s musical to me may not be musical for you. I’m the opposite where I prefer a flavoursome and less analaytical sound. I don’t fully appreciate terms like “warm” and “cold” - understanding these terms conceptually is one thing, agreeing how they are used and in the context of iems is another 😛

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #34,119 of 40,573
Holy crap I missed out a ton since the days of being able to audition the old Zeus and Arthur (with Excalibur cable from EA)

Since the Odin is being the talk of the town (I used to hear a lot of buzz about the Valkyrie, even though I never got a chance to listen to it ever), can someone describe how the IEM is like?

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #34,120 of 40,573
Oct 25, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #34,122 of 40,573
Orly?

I am curious to how it sounds.

There's no carrier in Malaysia so I cannot audition it even if I want to...:triportsad:
Darker and bassier Odin is the shortest anwser I can give.

Working on my Evo impressions. Hopefully in the coming week.

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #34,123 of 40,573
Absolute eye-candy, I had to pair them to see how it goes.
Sound wise... it is the polar opposite of the EA Centurion. It took everything I had issues with the Evo and made it worse. (less texture in the bass, muffled male voice, harshness on some upper mids.)
Synergy wise, it is a big no. As much as I love this cable with the Elysian X, I am unplugging it right away with the Evo. The stock cable is better.
DSC063719.JPG

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #34,124 of 40,573
Orly?

I am curious to how it sounds.

There's no carrier in Malaysia so I cannot audition it even if I want to...:triportsad:
Just like Traillii, I think Zeppelin in Singapore have demo in store. Malaysia and Singapore are so near. If from KL i think you can get with bus for about 8 hours. But now with Covid, i dont know if you can go to Singapore without quarantine.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #34,125 of 40,573
The Lx may still lies in your too warm / lack of technicality. But now the Evo is your perfect answer :p
I don't find LX too warm or lacking in technicalities for that matter. But it does come closer to the 'generally accepted' definition, or at least perception, of 'musicality'. For me, musicality is when you have a sound you can just kick back on a lounger with a glass of wine and enjoy. It's more about tonality than it is technicalities. It's a smoother, less attention-grabbing sound. And because that type of sound is generally warmer, that's where the added midbass warmth and/or smoother, more relaxed treble comes into it. I'm not saying that's what musicality is for everyone, just how I understand the term. It's a romantic notion.

Personally, I've discovered that too much mid/upper bass that 'veils' the sound, especially in AB comparisons, is not my liking at all. I love powerful, impactful bass (EVO being the current bar), but any bass that smooths over or veils the mids is as detrimental to the sound as harsh mids or treble in my book. If that means I prefer a more natural/realistic sound than a warmer, 'musical' one, so be it. At the same time, too engaging, aggressive, forward, thin or analytical is fun for a while, but about as far from musical as I can imagine.

Lastly, musicality is intricately tied to the type of music you're listening to. Put a metalhead, rapper, and folk music enthusiast in the same room and you're going to get three very different definitions of musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

• haci
Back