Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Oct 22, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #34,066 of 40,559
Don't you find some female vocals come across as shouty on Odin? Maybe a bit dry? They're already pushing the line (though not crossing it), on EVO, Lana Del Rey's latest being a case in point. Any more forward and she'd be in my eyeballs.
Not at all actually. What source are you using ? I mainly use Cayin gear and tested with Burson which is rather neutral. I am rather sensitive to sibilance and harshness. But of course everyone hears differently.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #34,067 of 40,559
Hey All,

For those that have both the EVO and MEST MK2, can you provide me with some songs where you can definitely tell (and how) that the BC is working in the MEST? I’ve had these IEMS for a few months now and for the life of me I can’t tell if the BC is doing anything for me sonically.

I’m doing A/B tests with the EVO and MEST Mk2 and I know for sure the W10 is doing its job. It even vibrates in my fingers when I hold it. Where as I don’t get any obvious (at lest to my ears) sign that the BC in the MEST is doing what it was designed to.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #34,068 of 40,559
Hey All,

For those that have both the EVO and MEST MK2, can you provide me with some songs where you can definitely tell (and how) that the BC is working in the MEST? I’ve had these IEMS for a few months now and for the life of me I can’t tell if the BC is doing anything for me sonically.

I’m doing A/B tests with the EVO and MEST Mk2 and I know for sure the W10 is doing its job. It even vibrates in my fingers when I hold it. Where as I don’t get any obvious (at lest to my ears) sign that the BC in the MEST is doing what it was designed to.
I no longer have the Mest MKii to compare directly but I don't think the BC drivers do the same thing here at all. With the Mest I got a sense of air and sparkle no matter what music I listened to. It was a unique effect that you could only put down to the BC driver and was similarly present in the Mest MKi.

With Evo (and it took nearly a week of burn-in night and day before I started really noticing the effect of the BC driver) I feel the BC driver adds a weight to notes across the frequency range. It doesn't add that sense of space like Mest did but it adds impact that you can feel and a body/ presence to what you hear. I think it is very different and they can't really be directly compared but that is just my take on it.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #34,069 of 40,559
Thanks for all the replies re Odin. Was mostly curious, as I find that female vocals on EVO are not forward, but when they hit a high note, you HEAR it. Anything recorded too hot could be in trouble as there's very little give in that upper region.

Now that I've heard EVO, I have to say my interest in Odin has waned, mainly because I don't want any less bass than this in my TOTL monitor. In an EDC I'm happy to go more mainstream, but for those times I get to relax for a quality listen, I need my quality (and quantity) bass fix. Like someone said earlier, EVO is also doing tactile stuff with bass (and treble) that I haven't heard in any other IEM, which can only be because of Weapon X.

If you're a bass afficianado, this has to be the new gold standard.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #34,070 of 40,559
Don't you find some female vocals come across as shouty on Odin? Maybe a bit dry? They're already pushing the line (though not crossing it), on EVO, Lana Del Rey's latest being a case in point. Any more forward and she'd be in my eyeballs.
I listened to Arcadia back to back on the Evo and Odin to try it out. There's a couple of time during the song (01:20, 02:48) when there is a case for what you are saying. When her voice raises up if it went any further I'd be reaching for the volume to turn it down.

It is certainly an easier listen on Evo but on Odin, her voice is so detailed there is much more intimacy to it and it feels much closer to a live performance. Those extra details are what makes Odin special in my eyes and it is with music like this that it really excels. I can see why people find it too forward though and if people think it's a problem with Evo then Odin is a no go.

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #34,071 of 40,559
Thanks for all the replies re Odin. Was mostly curious, as I find that female vocals on EVO are not forward, but when they hit a high note, you HEAR it. Anything recorded too hot could be in trouble as there's very little give in that upper region.

Now that I've heard EVO, I have to say my interest in Odin has waned, mainly because I don't want any less bass than this in my TOTL monitor. In an EDC I'm happy to go more mainstream, but for those times I get to relax for a quality listen, I need my quality (and quantity) bass fix. Like someone said earlier, EVO is also doing tactile stuff with bass (and treble) that I haven't heard in any other IEM, which can only be because of Weapon X.

If you're a bass afficianado, this has to be the new gold standard.
Odin upper mids are more up front yes. But Odin for me seems to have more lower mids too. They are not as dipped as on Evo. Hence mids dont sound as dry as you would suspect.

And i can almost guarantee, if you had a chance to hear Odin. You would walk away as a happy Evo Owner. For your taste EVO all the way.
Odin was mile ahead of LX technically so it was harder to choose but with EVO they are a lot closer.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #34,072 of 40,559
I listened to Arcadia back to back on the Evo and Odin to try it out. There's a couple of time during the song (01:20, 02:48) when there is a case for what you are saying. When her voice raises up if it went any further I'd be reaching for the volume to turn it down.

It is certainly an easier listen on Evo but on Odin, her voice is so detailed there is much more intimacy to it and it feels much closer to a live performance. Those extra details are what makes Odin special in my eyes and it is with music like this that it really excels. I can see why people find it too forward though and if people think it's a problem with Evo then Odin is a no go.
Yea that's what I was getting at. With EVO I stop just short of turning the volume down, and in fact I find it so detailed, I usually start off at a lower than usual volume anyway because I'm not missing anything. Also, EVO is able to get really physical with its bass - almost tactile - even at the lower volume, which means there's no compromising bass performance, and probably also why it's been tuned the way it has. Took me a while to figure it out (with a few rushed volume turns), but now that I have, wow.
Odin upper mids are more up front yes. But Odin for me seems to have more lower mids too. They are not as dipped as on Evo. Hence mids dont sound as dry as you would suspect.

And i can almost guarantee, if you had a chance to hear Odin. You would walk away as a happy Evo Owner. For your taste EVO all the way.
Odin was mile ahead of LX technically so it was harder to choose but with EVO they are a lot closer.
Yeah EVO is so far ahead technically than LX too, that even though the tuning has shifted slightly, it's a massive upgrade in every respect. I've even come to appreciate the extra clarity in the upper mids, now that I've found how to balance the volume out. And, for me, treble is spot on perfect.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #34,073 of 40,559
The Evo resting on their throne after a morning session
DSC063644.JPG

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #34,074 of 40,559
The Evo resting on their throne after a morning session
DSC063644.JPG
I may have missed your impressions but could you please share your thoughts on this cable pairing? I think twister6’s review may have raised it but it’s enlightening to see a range of inputs. One thing I love about this cable is the warrior helmet y-split :)

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #34,075 of 40,559
I may have missed your impressions but could you please share your thoughts on this cable pairing? I think twister6’s review may have raised it but it’s enlightening to see a range of inputs. One thing I love about this cable is the warrior helmet y-split :)
For sure, I suggest that you trust feedback from @twister6 more than mine. I don't do proper A/B testing for cables, so I rely on altered memory.
My approach to cables is 30% about the practical aspect. Stupid, but it influences me a lot.
Also, the Centurion is my main cable with the Trailli, so I am formatted to like it now.
And for that the Centurion is top notch. The visual, the touch, the braiding, the grip on the titanium coating.

Sound wise, it will not change it all compared to the Genesis, but it helped in areas I was not fully happy with the Evo.
First with Vocal, for female vocal, they come up less warm than the Genesis. It brings it back to the natural tone I like.
It does not impact the bass but give me some details I had the impression I lost with the Genesis.

And again, visually, it is perfect for the Evo.

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #34,076 of 40,559
does anyone know if I have a guarantee as a second buyer at Empire Ears?

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #34,077 of 40,559
Just got my EVO. Listened last night for a few hours. Just initial impressions, having not rolled tips, cables, sources yet... comparing to Legend X...

I listen to a lot of low end heavy electronic music that requires notes in the low end be discernable. What I notice immediately versus LX... even though there's big low end in the EVO... there's quite a lot of music where I can't discern the specific low end notes or frequencies that are in the track... where I can hear it with no problem on LX. Some/much of this music requires the low end pitch to be discernable in order for it to sound "right"... as in it's critical in order to hear the proper character of the piece.

With LX I hear all the little low end sub notes within and between notes. With EVO, I may get most of low end fundamental, but it's more like big low end boom with the micro tones and notes around it being less discernable and apparent. This micro low end information is critical for some of this music to sound "right". Again, I can hear it in LX... a lot of times I can't (yet) in EVO.

This really makes some of the tracks sound totally different.

So... gonna burn in, do some gear rolling, and keep listening. Really hope that low end loosens up a little and starts making that low end legibility more apparent.
Just wanted to check back in to say... of course I spoke too soon. Even just 10-15 hours of burn-in, the EVO low end opened up quite nicely. All low end frequencies now apparent and represented at least as well as the LX. Those dynamic drivers are really quite tight and monotone-ish brand new.

And of course the clarity of the EVO puts it well above the LX. I was worried that the high-mids bump was gonna seem harsh to me, but so far I haven't had a problem with it at all. It does, I think, make the perceived loudness of the EVO higher than the LX. On quite a lot of tracks I only need to set the volume about half that I needed for the LX.

And the sound is spectacular. Big full low end when warranted, and enveloping 3D clarity everywhere. Haven't found anything yet I don't like better with the EVO over the LX.

Awesome IEMs! So happy I jumped on 'em early. 👍😁

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #34,078 of 40,559
Oh yeah... forgot to mention the fit. The EVO fits my ears much better and more securely than LX, despite the EVO being larger. Main reason I think is that the LX nozzle was always a bit too short to seat properly in my ears. EVO fit is perfect for me.

Also, I'm using the same eartips and cable I used on the LX... SpinFit CP155 and DHC Clone Silver cable (pure silver). I kinda doubt I'll try rolling anything, as the EVO sounds as good as I had hoped with those.

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #34,079 of 40,559
Yes... many of the points align with thoughts I have posted as well! They should continue to improve for you, I am glad to see some more positive comments on the EVO.

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #34,080 of 40,559
Yes... many of the points align with thoughts I have posted as well! They should continue to improve for you, I am glad to see some more positive comments on the EVO.
Recent comments have been overwhelmingly positive I believe. To the point that my interest is being piqued...again..😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back