Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #30,616 of 40,591
I don't want m8 prices though you see :wink: haha thats another one that is on my radar and I frequently check for on the classifieds.
As someone who has both the M8 and DX300, even though the price of the M8 is a bit higher, I think it's worth saving up for if you're looking for a bit more warmth or tubey sound. Haven't heard Amp12, but Amp11 mk2 to me is a warm neutral amp although I'd say leaning more towards neutral than warm. I prefer Amp11 mk1 personally since it is a bit warmer. M8 is warm but a more analog kind of warmth with better technical ability than DX300. The M8 that might be the closest in an Android DAP form to what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #30,617 of 40,591
Well then if @Tristy would consider dx300 with nutube amp im mind. Price would come out almost in line with M8.
At this point dx300 would upper hand in software i believe unless m8 got over its bugs. Also dx300 has best wifi connection i have tried. Problem is its a bloody brick. So much so that i have sold it for size alone.

But at least you have options now.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #30,618 of 40,591
As someone who has both the M8 and DX300, even though the price of the M8 is a bit higher, I think it's worth saving up for if you're looking for a bit more warmth or tubey sound. Haven't heard Amp12, but Amp11 mk2 to me is a warm neutral amp although I'd say leaning more towards neutral than warm. I prefer Amp11 mk1 personally since it is a bit warmer. M8 is warm but a more analog kind of warmth with better technical ability than DX300. The M8 that might be the closest in an Android DAP form to what you're looking for.
Second this… I love M8’s sound signature :wink:

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #30,619 of 40,591
Between the m8 and the r8, which is seen as best with the lx?

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #30,621 of 40,591
Well then if @Tristy would consider dx300 with nutube amp im mind. Price would come out almost in line with M8.
At this point dx300 would upper hand in software i believe unless m8 got over its bugs. Also dx300 has best wifi connection i have tried. Problem is its a bloody brick. So much so that i have sold it for size alone.

But at least you have options now.
Sounds promising!

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #30,622 of 40,591
Second this… I love M8’s sound signature :wink:
The DX300 is nearly perfect to my ear. I need to hear the M8 since so many people seem to love it.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #30,623 of 40,591
Between the m8 and the r8, which is seen as best with the lx?
From everything I've read, R8. Those that have the M8 + LX say it's too much of a good thing (warm + warm). I can only confirm the R8 + LX synergy is sublime.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #30,624 of 40,591
Amazon Japan coming through with some goodies... Lets see how these hold up on Odin.

Attachments

• tempImageMFZWFG.png
    tempImageMFZWFG.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #30,625 of 40,591
Amazon Japan coming through with some goodies... Lets see how these hold up on Odin.
Nice. I bought some Crystals for my Airpods Pro from Amazon USA and I like them. They are a bit thicker and slightly less sticky than the Xelastecs. I prefer the Crystals to the Xelastecs. For most of my IEMs, I still prefer the reguar SednaEarfit tips. Given bone conduction, I have been using the Xelastec and the sound is a bit thin, so I would like to use these Crystal tips for the MEST. I'll wait for them to be stocked in Amazon USA though. The postage from Japan is pricey.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #30,628 of 40,591
I need to do some more listening but so far they seem good! Only tried them with the Z1R but it seems to accentuate the bass a little more....
Ok cool, keep us posted. Are they deep insert as per the name, or is that just the name? Also curious how dusty/sticky the Crystals get and what they sound like. If you can clean those with alcohol swabs (which you can't with Xelastec) and they keep their shape like other silicone tips then I may try them. I'm used to silicone tips lasting months, even years, whereas Xelastec are a few weeks at best, which is crazy given how pricey they are.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #30,629 of 40,591
Ok cool, keep us posted. Are they deep insert as per the name, or is that just the name? Also curious how dusty/sticky the Crystals get and what they sound like. If you can clean those with alcohol swabs (which you can't with Xelastec) and they keep their shape like other silicone tips then I may try them. I'm used to silicone tips lasting months, even years, whereas Xelastec are a few weeks at best, which is crazy given how pricey they are.
I've used the deep mounts with the Z1R which necessitates a deep insertion and it wasn't the most comfortable tip I've tried tbh.. The crystals on the other hand are blowing my mind at the moment. If I had to describe it against other tips I'd say they are a combination of comfort and thick material found on the Xelastics and the sound of the Earfits but with a smaller "horn" shape so there is a smaller diameter bore at the tip. I had issues with Earfits as I thought they diffused the sound a little too much in the IEM's that I tried them with, making them sound less precise. I can't hear any of that with these tips and so far they sound VERY good with the Z1R, reminds me of the natural sound that you get with foam tips alongside similar isolation and comfort but with no loss of detail or treble attenuation that usually comes alongside them. They are quite sticky like the Xelastics though but not quite as bad, they also seem to keep their shape much better. I can't speak about longevity but so far these are shaping up to be one of my favourite tips so far... the comfort and sound is ideal.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #30,630 of 40,591
From everything I've read, R8. Those that have the M8 + LX say it's too much of a good thing (warm + warm). I can only confirm the R8 + LX synergy is sublime.
I haven't heard the R8, but yes, I'd agree the LX is the one IEM in my collection that isn't a great pairing with the M8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back