Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz)
Jul 22, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #30,646 of 40,591
Best pairing for cheap with LX I believe is the Lotoo S1. W2 is nice as well but I feel it’s a little cleaner sounding with the S1.

I believe the Cirrus Logic flagship DAC chip (CS43198) is responsible for that. I had a HiBy DAP for awhile which used the same chip in the same configuration (x2), and was mighty impressed.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #30,647 of 40,591
Well then if @Tristy would consider dx300 with nutube amp im mind. Price would come out almost in line with M8.
At this point dx300 would upper hand in software i believe unless m8 got over its bugs. Also dx300 has best wifi connection i have tried. Problem is its a bloody brick. So much so that i have sold it for size alone.

But at least you have options now.
I'm guessing you won't be interested in the dx300 MAX then.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #30,648 of 40,591
From everything I've read, R8. Those that have the M8 + LX say it's too much of a good thing (warm + warm). I can only confirm the R8 + LX synergy is sublime.
I'm listening to the LX and M8 now it really sounds fantastic, I prefer the M8 over the DX220, and the MAX.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #30,649 of 40,591
Crazy that some people absolutely love the synergy of the LXs with the M8 while others clearly don’t. The M8 was at the top of my list but having ready so many comments praising and criticizing both DAPs, I just don’t know how I’ll ever ever commit to buying either one. Ugh… 🤯
You could hold out for the DX300 MAX😏

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #30,651 of 40,591
What's the sound profile like? Do they lift bass, mess with the mids, bump treble up or down? And how's the comfort/softness? Curious if they'd suit something like the IE 900.
I'm actually the worse person to ask about tips.

I've essentially stick with deep mounts for normal nozzles and the sednas for thicker chonky boys. For me at least, I tend to avoid tips that might obscure the sound bores and/or have anything in the stem that might mess with the sound. so far the bore comes out right to the top of the deep mounts, so the tips should not be doing any major tweaks to the sound.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #30,652 of 40,591
Not my usual music, but listening to a playlist on TIDAL, Lourde “Royals, ” is confusing me, damn!

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #30,653 of 40,591
Not my usual music, but listening to a playlist on TIDAL, Lourde “Royals, ” is confusing me, damn!
One of my favourite artists (and favourite type of music). That test is my go-to bass test. If you don't feel that opening punch in your chest, there's not enough bass. At the same time, if the bass is clouding the vocals and effects, there's too much bloat/midbass.

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #30,654 of 40,591
I'm learning to like her, need to spend a bit more time getting to know her. Sidenote, she got smashed the other night on one of the late-night shows here, she and Seth weren't playing!

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #30,655 of 40,591
I'm learning to like her, need to spend a bit more time getting to know her. Sidenote, she got smashed the other night on one of the late-night shows here, she and Seth weren't playing!
She's one of the very few artists that, for me, has never released a poor track. I'd rate both her studio albums as impeccable, and the more I listen the more nuances I hear. Absolutely perfect LX fodder. Can't wait for her next one, due Aug 30.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #30,656 of 40,591
Crazy that some people absolutely love the synergy of the LXs with the M8 while others clearly don’t. The M8 was at the top of my list but having ready so many comments praising and criticizing both DAPs, I just don’t know how I’ll ever ever commit to buying either one. Ugh… 🤯
I understand why people don't like the M8 LX pairing, but I do personally enjoy it (after an adjustment period) since I found the LX with a neutral amp like the RME ADI 2 DAC FS to be a bit bass light imo. With how much people say the LX is a bass head IEM or whatever, I find it sounds balanced so I wanted a bit more oomph in the low end. Sometimes I just want more rumble. I do want to hear the SP2000 though since it's raved about so much, but I'll wait till canjam to hear it

Best pairing for cheap with LX I believe is the Lotoo S1. W2 is nice as well but I feel it’s a little cleaner sounding with the S1.
Also agree with the S1 and LX pairing. Haven't heard W2

She's one of the very few artists that, for me, has never released a poor track. I'd rate both her studio albums as impeccable, and the more I listen the more nuances I hear. Absolutely perfect LX fodder. Can't wait for her next one, due Aug 30.
Totally agree with this. I really enjoy her and Billie Eilish's music a lot

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #30,657 of 40,591
I understand why people don't like the M8 LX pairing, but I do personally enjoy it (after an adjustment period) since I found the LX with a neutral amp like the RME ADI 2 DAC FS to be a bit bass light imo. With how much people say the LX is a bass head IEM or whatever, I find it sounds balanced so I wanted a bit more oomph in the low end. Sometimes I just want more rumble. I do want to hear the SP2000 though since it's raved about so much, but I'll wait till canjam to hear it

Also agree with the S1 and LX pairing. Haven't heard W2

Totally agree with this. I really enjoy her and Billie Eilish's music a lot
Yep, LX can be bass shy when it's underpowered. Surprised me for sure, I was like "where's the famous bass?". Turns out it needs real power (with proper control) to get those woofers woofing. I find the LX is a very balanced, slightly warm yet rich and organic IEM with TOTL technicalities, build quality and comfort. And when you need it to, it can fire up the subwoofers no problem. It's easily my favourite all-rounder IEM and I struggle to think of anything, even Traillii, that can do everything it does as well as it does with my type of music...

...which is, as you say, the likes of Lorde, Billie, Lana (Del Rey), Lily (Kershaw), Rosie (Thomas), BEYRIES, Brandi (Carlile), Angel (Olsen), Dido, Christina (Perri) and Maggie (Rogers), to name just a handful of my absolute favourites.

Jul 23, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #30,658 of 40,591
I'm guessing you won't be interested in the dx300 MAX then.
Nah. Its too niche for me. I need a portable dap. And dx300 is already not portable as far as i am concerned. Otherwise i would invest the same money to a decent desktop DAC/amp stack. There is no in betweens for me. And desktop gear would get little love anyway with my routine.

That said iBasso have my respect. And i do think they are creating great product with excelent price/performance ratio. Its just that recent product dont fit my personal use case.

To be honest i liked dx300 signature so much that if it was more portable i would still be owning it to this day. And it has one of best UI and battery life on market regardless of price

But i dont think i would like to pair it with Odin if i happened to own one.

Jul 23, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #30,659 of 40,591
Yep, LX can be bass shy when it's underpowered. Surprised me for sure, I was like "where's the famous bass?". Turns out it needs real power (with proper control) to get those woofers woofing. I find the LX is a very balanced, slightly warm yet rich and organic IEM with TOTL technicalities, build quality and comfort. And when you need it to, it can fire up the subwoofers no problem. It's easily my favourite all-rounder IEM and I struggle to think of anything, even Traillii, that can do everything it does as well as it does with my type of music...

...which is, as you say, the likes of Lorde, Billie, Lana (Del Rey), Lily (Kershaw), Rosie (Thomas), BEYRIES, Brandi (Carlile), Angel (Olsen), Dido, Christina (Perri) and Maggie (Rogers), to name just a handful of my absolute favourites.
Give SAYGRACE (her FMA record, especially), Lianne La Havas and Holly Humberstone a listen. They're three of my current favourites as far as contemporary female artists, which I admittedly don't listen too much to. Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion record is an underrated classic as well, IMO.

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #30,660 of 40,591
So do the Sedna Xelastic tips have a limited life span? Mine are deformed all the time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back